Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Welder looking to move to Australia

Welder looking to move to Australia

Old Jan 12th 2015, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Dalemooney91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Welder looking to move to Australia

Hi there, new to the forum. Im a member of the UK welder forum and have been reading topics on immigrating to Australia but not the greatest of info is given, just wondering where is the most thriving for the welding side of industry? What kind of hourly rate/salary should I expect, I have seen various figures from $20-50 but what should be a realistic aim? I'm a time served welder and 23 years of age, I come from an oil and gas background and work as a welding instructor also so am a very capable welder. Would really appreciate feedback from anyone who has made the move and could give me a personal insight of how things work over there.

Thanks for reading and hopefully hear some good feedback!
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice
Default Re: Welder looking to move to Australia

On our mine site you'd be looking (as a boilermaker?) at about $40 per hour.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for reply, not sure what type of work the term boilermaker covers? Im a coded pipe welder here in scotland if that helps? Where is the site if you dont mind me asking? Did you also immigrate or are you australian born? Again, thanks for the reply.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Came from UK in Jan 2012. Working in Whyalla, South Australia. I'm not sure what a coded pipe welder is, i'm an office boy. The boilermaker here I would say is equivalent to a metal fabricator in the UK. Not sure where welding comes in relation to that.

The boilermakers here where I work, work on the trucks. They maintain the trays and the buckets on the excavators. As well as manufacture things for site - safety handrails/framing, tyre racks, signage stands, signs. Pretty much anything with metal that needs fabricating or adapting they do it. It has nothing to do with boilers so I don't know who came up with boilermaker!
Old Jan 12th 2015, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

I think I would be called a first class welder in Oz? Or special class? Maybe they are the same thing I'm not sure, I wouldn't come under the boilermaker description though, you are correct in saying that is a fabricator though I checked on google.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 2:52 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

How are you at vertical down pipeline welding MMAW with cellulosic electrodes? Every weld radiographed or UT examined for defects? If you think you can perform this sort of welding out in the field then you may find a job with one of the pipeline construction companies - not as many lines being built now as there were a couple of years ago though.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Yes I have done vertical down using 6010's, and fill with 7018s but I'm hoping to be doing more TIG than MMAW. I haven't done the x-raying myself no if that's what you mean, over here that is a NDT technician/welding inspector's job and would require various courses and training. Having said that I would be looking at progressing into this side of things in the coming years.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dalemooney91
I think I would be called a first class welder in Oz? Or special class? Maybe they are the same thing I'm not sure, I wouldn't come under the boilermaker description though, you are correct in saying that is a fabricator though I checked on google.
Hello Dale

Your right you'd be a first class welder. A general fabricator is called a boilermaker.

Not much call for stoving as it's nearly all buggo and as KJCherokee was saying that's mainly finished or soon will be. The pipelines were mainly in Queensland to Curtis Island.

Your not the lad from UK welder who's on a working visa are you?

Keel
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

No mate I'm still in Scotland but will be heading over this time next year so looking to gather as much information as possible before taking the jump, but yes at first I will just do a years working visa and if money and lifestyle is for me then I will make the moves to make it permanent. Are you a welder yourself keel?
Old Jan 13th 2015, 10:04 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

The pipelines to Curtis Island were all 42" (1050mm) and were welded with automatic welding machines - there are still plenty of smaller pipelines being built (up to 18") which are stovepipe welded with Exx10's.

And I wasn't suggesting you did your own NDE, just using that to indicate the quality of welding required!

TIG is sometimes used for pipe weld root pass to eliminate the possibility of spatter in the bore of the pipe, and for the welding of the more exotic materials sometimes found in process plants.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Jan 13th 2015 at 10:11 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 10:36 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

dalemooney, have a word with these people.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dalemooney91
No mate I'm still in Scotland but will be heading over this time next year so looking to gather as much information as possible before taking the jump, but yes at first I will just do a years working visa and if money and lifestyle is for me then I will make the moves to make it permanent. Are you a welder yourself keel?
Used to strike the arc but I'm a Welding Engineer now.

KJCherokee might have a point with his link. 90% of the work is complete but the rest will be a lad flipping his mask and doing it manual.

Keel
Old Jan 16th 2015, 10:52 am
Just Joined

KJCherokee I understand you now, I misread your sentence on NDE work I thought you said 'ever' instead of 'every', my mistake mate.

Thanks lads really appreciate your feedback and I will get onto the company you mentioned, thanks again!

Last edited by Dalemooney91; Jan 16th 2015 at 10:56 am.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

KJCherokee any work for welding Engineer's were you work?

Keel
Old Jan 18th 2015, 11:56 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

keel, I work for a pipeline design, engineering and asset management consultancy: our need for welding engineering input is small and I already have a consultant to provide what little input we require. Sorry mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.