Reload this Page >

Welcome back Wilf

Welcome back Wilf

Old Jul 21st 2003, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Bloody kids trampling my grave again!
Early start today Mega? It isn't even dinner time yet.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 4:33 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Welcome back Wilf

Originally posted by Wilf
Well, September is not long then. This is for a fixed period or a permanent move?
I have enjoyed Walden, although I have found it hard to find the rhythm in his writing and therefore it is a bit slow going.

The move has no preconceived timeline. We have it in our minds to explore and embrace. I fret for my children but have faith that we are doing the right thing by them.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Florida_03
I have enjoyed Walden, although I have found it hard to find the rhythm in his writing and therefore it is a bit slow going.

The move has no preconceived timeline. We have it in our minds to explore and embrace. I fret for my children but have faith that we are doing the right thing by them.
I think I know what you mean about the rhythm. I will admit I had to battle through it, as I find I have to do with a lot of "philosophical" books, to be honest, but I found it worthwhile to do so and it is not too long. I had a real struggle with Les Miserables one year (and I do not mean the people on this forum) but, again, was glad to have done so in the end.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 5:09 pm
Not here

I think I know what you mean about the rhythm. I will admit I had to battle through it, as I find I have to do with a lot of "philosophical" books, to be honest, but I found it worthwhile to do so and it is not too long. I had a real struggle with Les Miserables one year (and I do not mean the people on this forum) but, again, was glad to have done so in the end.
We plodders generally always get there, and generally always get it. The gift of perserverence?
Old Jul 21st 2003, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

We plodders generally always get there, and generally always get it. The gift of perserverence?
I am like that, I think. Well, I am definitely a plodder. As for getting it in the end - I always think I do, so perhaps I never have? It is hard, though, is it not, and not very fashionable now, to start and just keep on going, even if you are not having "fun"?

Slight change of subject, but this is a jam today society now and there is a great mortgaging of the future going on all around us. Who will maintain and build the framework now when all you get applause for is the cover? Who can do "good work" now when it is all short-term contracts and surface appearance? Who wants to do the plodding nowadays?
Old Jul 21st 2003, 5:42 pm
Not here

I am like that, I think. Well, I am definitely a plodder. As for getting it in the end - I always think I do, so perhaps I never have? It is hard, though, is it not, and not very fashionable now, to start and just keep on going, even if you are not having "fun"?

Slight change of subject, but this is a jam today society now and there is a great mortgaging of the future going on all around us. Who will maintain and build the framework now when all you get applause for is the cover? Who can do "good work" now when it is all short-term contracts and surface appearance? Who wants to do the plodding nowadays?
You make me think. I like that, a lot.

My gut response is that nobody is willing to pay for perserverence. I believe historically (but may well be wrong) that Governments payed for programs of perserverence. This is no longer the case.

My short answer: My kids have been sold out by those I pay most to. Of the $34k I paid the leeches this year alone, what will my kids receive in return?

Australian Government has already spent my children's future.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

You make me think. I like that, a lot.

My gut response is that nobody is willing to pay for perserverence. I believe historically (but may well be wrong) that Governments payed for programs of perserverence. This is no longer the case.

My short answer: My kids have been sold out by those I pay most to. Of the $34k I paid the leeches this year alone, what will my kids receive in return?

Australian Government has already spent my children's future.
I am sorry to say that I agree. My parents envied me for my opportunities when I was a young man. I do not envy young people these days. They will have to deal with a lot of things swept under the carpet, and there is too much trading on systems built up in the 50s, 60s and 70s - it makes me think of a car whose tank is empty and there is just the momentum left - I remember Isaac Newton's first law of motion from school but I did not realise then that he was also a sociologist - and when the momentum is gone then how much harder is it to get it going again? Can you get it going again?

Do you not feel a desperate sense of "grab what you can while we can" in the world today? This was absent in my youth but I can feel it now. No-one wants to be left at the back when it comes to robbing the future do they? Kids are too little to see over the "adults" stealing from them though, so tough?
Old Jul 21st 2003, 6:15 pm
Not here

I am sorry to say that I agree. My parents envied me for my opportunities when I was a young man. I do not envy young people these days. They will have to deal with a lot of things swept under the carpet, and there is too much trading on systems built up in the 50s, 60s and 70s - it makes me think of a car whose tank is empty and there is just the momentum left - I remember Isaac Newton's first law of motion from school but I did not realise then that he was also a sociologist - and when the momentum is gone then how much harder is it to get it going again? Can you get it going again?

Do you not feel a desperate sense of "grab what you can while we can" in the world today? This was absent in my youth but I can feel it now. No-one wants to be left at the back when it comes to robbing the future do they? Kids are too little to see over the "adults" stealing from them though, so tough?
The questions are hard, the answers beyond me. I am going home now to be with my girls and ponder.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:11 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Early start today Mega? It isn't even dinner time yet.
Just dreaming of a tasty hunk of diprotodon and you offer yourself!