Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weirdo’s in Bunnings!

Weirdo’s in Bunnings!

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 2:44 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weirdo’s in Bunnings!

The other day I was shopping in Bunnings (like B&Q for all those still at home. Only far worse) I had a trolley full of stuff, amongst the stuff I had was a 4 litre bottle of something called ‘Silastic’ a concrete water proofer. Anyway I was pushing the trolley around the store minding my own business when a Bunnings floor walker pounced on me from behind a pile of boxes! He grabbed the bottle of Silastic out of my trolley and stood their reading the bottle for a minute or so. Thinking I was going to get banned from buying it because you probably need a licence or certificate or something I went to yellow alert and started to warm up for a fight. I asked if there was a problem and he put the Silastic back in the trolley and say “no, but that’s good stuff that is�. And then he walked away!!

What the fuxx just happened? The whole country is full of 2 headed mutants, that pounce on you when shopping to see what your buying then tell you how good your choices are!

Then another day in Bunnings I needed some cement, I was in a huge trade only department which had big stacks of cement so I put a few bags on the trolley, but try as I might I couldn’t find any sand to buy to mix with the cement. I asked the staff where the sand was, to be told they didn’t sell sand. I asked, so what do you mix with the cement you sell then? “Oh sand of course� the man replied. So where do I get sand from then? “oh you have to buy that from a garden nursery somewhere�

Once again what the fuxx is wrong with this country? They have a warehouse the size of a small planet and don’t sell all the stuff you need to do the job. So far I’ve encountered shops that sell cement but not sand, Sandblaster guns but not sandblaster grit, Hammers but no nails, 2 part spray paint but no thinners…… Come on Australian shopkeepers get your act together…..
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice
Default Re: Weirdo’s in Bunnings!

Hello
Have you thought maybe it is you???
Were you looking particularly fetching walking around bunnings that some store person may have felt a NEED to communicate with you?
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 2:52 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
The other day I was shopping in Bunnings (like B&Q for all those still at home. Only far worse) I had a trolley full of stuff, amongst the stuff I had was a 4 litre bottle of something called ‘Silastic’ a concrete water proofer. Anyway I was pushing the trolley around the store minding my own business when a Bunnings floor walker pounced on me from behind a pile of boxes! He grabbed the bottle of Silastic out of my trolley and stood their reading the bottle for a minute or so. Thinking I was going to get banned from buying it because you probably need a licence or certificate or something I went to yellow alert and started to warm up for a fight. I asked if there was a problem and he put the Silastic back in the trolley and say “no, but that’s good stuff that is�. And then he walked away!!

Wicky woo!

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 3:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Once again what the fuxx is wrong with this country? They have a warehouse the size of a small planet and don’t sell all the stuff you need to do the job. So far I’ve encountered shops that sell cement but not sand, Sandblaster guns but not sandblaster grit, Hammers but no nails, 2 part spray paint but no thinners…… Come on Australian shopkeepers get your act together…..
Just think of it as the way the UK was about 20/30 years back- separate shops for everything. Gets on my goat too, but I'm getting used to it now; annoys me having to make 5 payments for the shopping where one big one in Sainsburys used to cover everything though.
Even my Bloke, an Aussie born and bred, was heard to announce last week that he misses Sainsburys as he wants to buy the booze and the food under the same roof and pay together!
We also miss Sainsburys ( or any decent) carrier bags in supermarkets! The poxy little things you get here don't even HOLD 3 loaves of bread, never mind lasting till you get home!

(ok, that was my Weekly Whinge, no wfeeling better!)
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We also miss Sainsburys ( or any decent) carrier bags in supermarkets! The poxy little things you get here don't even HOLD 3 loaves of bread, never mind lasting till you get home!

(ok, that was my Weekly Whinge, no wfeeling better!)
Hmmm...v annoying. Could someone from back home send you a few of the thick, reusable sainsburys (or tescos) bags? Or maybe u could buy/make some cloth ones? It's be better for the environment, and would solve the problem...

As an aside, at my uni, we now have to pay 10p for a plastic bag. Do u think that this is likely to happen in any Oz sates?
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 3:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Hmmm...v annoying. Could someone from back home send you a few of the thick, reusable sainsburys (or tescos) bags? Or maybe u could buy/make some cloth ones? It's be better for the environment, and would solve the problem...

As an aside, at my uni, we now have to pay 10p for a plastic bag. Do u think that this is likely to happen in any Oz sates?
I have some cloth ones, but I prefer reusable plastic - especially for freezer stuff. These don't last long enough to be used, never mind reused! My Sains ones used to last me months!! Mum is now saving them for me and I shall be bringing some back in November
And I don't think anyone here would pay for these bags - they are like the worst kind of small Pound Shop carriers - thin, small, and easily split!

Had to laugh at the thought of me MAKING some!! Takes me a week to sew on a button! Not for me the self-sufficient crafty type stuff, sorry - i got thrown out of needlework classes aged 13 for being useless!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 6:31 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy Yellow sand in bags at Bunnings and you can also buy the packs which have 4 parts sand and 1 part cement in the bag. Maybe its only the Bunnings I go to, which is every single one in Perth.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:28 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Pre-mixed concrete and mortar in 40 kg bags - why can't they just add water to the pre-mix and be done with it?

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Probably too busy feeling paranoid
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
You can buy Yellow sand in bags at Bunnings and you can also buy the packs which have 4 parts sand and 1 part cement in the bag. Maybe its only the Bunnings I go to, which is every single one in Perth.
Ours sells it too,

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:48 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
I've had no problem getting sand and cement in the same place (both Bunnings and Mitre10).

The plastic bags I get at Safeway seem to work. They manage to get the shopping home and are still usable. The occasional one splits, but no more often than the ones from Tescos.

A
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:50 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

Bunnings has started to charge for the plastice bags

Most supermarkets etc, now want you to buy the "Green Bags" about $1 each, and you can get them in various colours now, mine are blue

I don't always use them, as I need the supermarket plastic ones for bin liners

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:54 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I have some cloth ones, but I prefer reusable plastic - especially for freezer stuff. These don't last long enough to be used, never mind reused! My Sains ones used to last me months!! Mum is now saving them for me and I shall be bringing some back in November
And I don't think anyone here would pay for these bags - they are like the worst kind of small Pound Shop carriers - thin, small, and easily split!

Had to laugh at the thought of me MAKING some!! Takes me a week to sew on a button! Not for me the self-sufficient crafty type stuff, sorry - i got thrown out of needlework classes aged 13 for being useless!!!
Being kind: put your glasses on and engage your mind before your mouth:

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:02 pm
wombat42

What the fuxx just happened? The whole country is full of 2 headed mutants, that pounce on you when shopping to see what your buying then tell you how good your choices are!

Then another day in Bunnings I needed some cement, I was in a huge trade only department which had big stacks of cement so I put a few bags on the trolley, but try as I might I couldn’t find any sand to buy to mix with the cement. I asked the staff where the sand was, to be told they didn’t sell sand. I asked, so what do you mix with the cement you sell then? “Oh sand of course� the man replied. So where do I get sand from then? “oh you have to buy that from a garden nursery somewhere�

So Aussie shopkeepers are all two headed mutants while Pom shopkeepers are all polite, courteous and helpful at all times, Aussie stores never have what you are looking for but every Pommie store contains every type of good you want under the sun.
It must have been a dreadful experience for you having a shop assistant compliment you on your good choice of the bottle of silastic you bought, you should have reported him to Bunnings management and had him fired.

Last edited by wombat42; Aug 22nd 2005 at 11:09 pm.

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:30 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Go to any landscape joint (I don't know where you are , but there are lots of those types of places around). . The type that sell pavers, river stones, boulders, chippings, garden mulch that type of thing. It's hell of a lot cheaper to buy your bags of concrete from there rather than bunnings - and guess what they sell sand too ( usually loose by the m2 ).

I wouldn't bother with Bunnings for buying your concrete , I know it is a lot more expensive in Bunnings for concrete than our local landscape joint for this.

weirdo's in Bunnings, plenty about , the country is full of them- did you by any chance have any nice pieces of wood in your trolley. lol

From an owner of a lovely pile of sand.

P.S.
Anyone know where I can get a load of cheap slate in Brisbane and surrounds by the way? recycled will do too ( big pieces I need)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.