Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

weird driving rules in Oz

weird driving rules in Oz

Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold
Wink weird driving rules in Oz

Are there any weird driving rules in Oz - like the one in USA where you can turn at a red light if there's nothing coming.Just thought I'd ask
Nick
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: weird driving rules in Oz

Originally Posted by Nick11
Are there any weird driving rules in Oz - like the one in USA where you can turn at a red light if there's nothing coming.Just thought I'd ask
Nick
The "hook turn" ! did it once when in Oz, still don't really understand it!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:58 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Nick
That's one - proceed with caution or something like that ! Threw me, that did

Another one, you are not allowed to park against the direction of traffic e.g. on the other side of the road.

Be careful about your speed.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by <")))><
That's one - proceed with caution or something like that ! Threw me, that did

Another one, you are not allowed to park against the direction of traffic e.g. on the other side of the road.

Be careful about your speed.

whats the hook turn?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 4:24 pm
Scootascum member.

scooterpom will become famous soon enough

Nick
I'm not absolutely certain but I think there's a rule in Melbourne that when you want to turn right you have to pull into the left hand lane (so you have to cross BOTH lanes of traffic :scared: )

Something to do with not being run down by trams I believe.

Mind you, I drove through the middle of Melbourne about 3 years ago and I survived (more by luck than judgement I expect )

Cheers
Scooterpom.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:32 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any weird driving rules in Oz
They have rules??? coz I sure didn't notice many when we were over there

D D
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

marie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud of

hi
does anybody know whether our english license will suffice over their or do we need to retake test

marie
Old Jul 25th 2005, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Nick
Here is Melbourne's famous "hook turn" explained in a nice little animation!

http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bern...hook_turn.html

As for the US rule (and Canada too!) - note that this only applies to cars making right turns on a red light!! Don't think that it's legal to make a left turn or proceed straight through the intersection on a red light (at least not anywhere close to me! :scared::scared::scared. If you are making a right turn on red the idea is it is more like a "yield" situation where because you are not crossing traffic it is safe to allow the turn. This rule also applies in some special cases to a left turn then two one-way roads cross (again because you would not be crossing traffic to make this turn).

Cheers,
Brian
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Nick11]Are there any weird driving rules in Oz - like the one in USA where you can turn at a red light if there's nothing coming.Just thought I'd ask

When in Port Douglas I saw someone get pulled up because he did not indicate when going round a bend that had a turnoff on it, even though he was just going round the bend.
My brother in Law also got in a bit of bother when he moved to Melbourne because he kept edging out into the traffic, a bit of a hard habit to break when you are used to driving in the East End of London.

John
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:43 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Roundabouts can be dodgy as the rule used to be 1st on it had right of way till early 90's now its give way to right but will still be some old school drivers out there , beep beep :scared:
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:46 pm
Merlot

Aussies don't do roundabouts very well. Even my hubby passed his test in UK 1986, then drove in Oz from 1987 until 1999, crapped himself leaving Heathrow as had no idea how to use the roundabouts - the bigger the worse he was, even now I have to guide him and he is a good driver

Also the parking in the street against the flow of traffic, not sure it is totally legal in the UK but in Oz, big wrist slap.

I think you can turn left at a red light if safe to do so.

M

Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:46 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Roundabouts can be dodgy as the rule used to be 1st on it had right of way till early 90's now its give way to right but will still be some old school drivers out there , beep beep :scared:
I was just writing my roundabout post at the same time as you, great minds.

M

Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:50 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot
I was just writing my roundabout post at the same time as you, great minds.

M
LOL ( mine is not that great ).
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marie197500
hi
does anybody know whether our english license will suffice over their or do we need to retake test

marie
Valid for 3 months - then sit the test - but its not practical, just theoretical, and supposed to be quite easy.

This is certainly the case in QLD, but not sure about other states. I assume its the same
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:41 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Merlot
Aussies don't do roundabouts very well.
I've never noticed this; it's foreigners that have problems with them, especially Americans.

We're used to them.

Edit: In reaction to the OP's post, New South Wales has laws allowing you to make left turns at a red light, but only if it's signposted to do so. It's not universal, not like it is in Seppoland, and, AFAIK, no other state here allows it at all.

Last edited by Peter; Jul 25th 2005 at 10:43 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.