Weekly shopping - New Slant

Wikiposts

Weekly shopping - New Slant

Old Dec 26th 2005, 10:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Weekly shopping - New Slant

Originally Posted by menace
organic is getting obscene.
Sounds like people who eat the organic stuff need much bigger pockets than the rest of us

$125 pw does the three of us, with very little home brand stuff.

And with most shops in the same centre, it's all convenient too. (Except for the Butchers, but that's near where my wife works)

Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:41 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Wow it must have been like supermarket sweep...I am lol with the image of you two with a trolley each running around Coles...you could of taken all the time in the world as we were only on our second round of cuddles when you arrived!!(with the baby) in case anyone was wondering

Carol
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:46 pm
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

$125 pw does the three of us, with very little home brand stuff.
$125 feeds three of you for a week? What do you eat?

That works out at around $6 per day per person! Are you including the toiletries and laundry things in that total too? :scared:

I am being serious here not facetious, what do you eat?
Old Dec 28th 2005, 11:01 pm
ABCDiamond

That works out at around $6 per day per person! Are you including the toiletries and laundry things in that total too? :scared:

Some normal meals for us would be Steak & Jacket potatoes, Chicken & Chips, Bangers and Mash, Curry with Rice, just the normal foods, with some fresh greens thrown in.

It's the prices we pay that seem to confuse the newcomers

Rump Steak at $6 or $7 per Kg, Potatoes at 80c a Kg.
$7 for a large cooked chicken, $3 for enough chips for the 3 off us. Eggs at $1 a dozen.

It can be done quite easily. Some people pay $3 for a sliced white 700gm loaf, we prefer Multigrain at $1 a 700gm loaf.

Quiet a few others eat well on that figure too.

Old Dec 28th 2005, 11:15 pm
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Weekly shopping - New Slant

We tend to buy fresh rather than processed and packaged crap, it is more expensive but so much more palatable than microwave meals or hungry jacks.

We are a family of 5 with two of the kids being under 2 so there are the added costs of nappies and associated products.

I reckon at a pinch we could get our weekly shop down to an average $350 if we watched the pennies and bought the shops own brands for some products.

Out of curiosity, where do you live and where do you shop ?....we're a family of 6 ! (god we've been busy!!!!!!!) the age's of the kid's are 9,7,5 & 16 months......i think it's going to cost me a small fortune to keep them, may have to sell a couple of them !!!

Ali
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:45 pm
ABCDiamond

I got curious and analysed our spending for the last 6 months:

Weekly averages based over 26 weeks
$65.86 Woolworths
$27.12 Fruit & Veg shop, (inc Bread & Milk)
$ 6.98 Seafood shop
$11.43 Butchers

$111.40 per week average for July to Dec 2005

And yes, this includes toiletries and laundry things

Add to this the takeaway food. Chicken and Chips, or Fish & Chips, both at about $10 for the 3 of us, maybe a couple of times per week, and we get to $132 pw.

Not including proper restaurants here, as I don't class that as a "normal" food expense.

How we do it ? My wife cooks it, I try not to get too involved in that, so I assume she does a good job, for what we do buy.

A typical weekend breakfast would be croissants, but just cereals during the week.

Old Dec 29th 2005, 1:31 pm
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Right, I know its a tired old thread about how much does your weekly shopping come to.

So heres a new slant that might give people a new perspective on things.

We ran around like blue arsed flies today in Coles buying stuff for new baby, new house, and two weeks of "never having to go to the shops again"

We spent $400. That was with two trolleys full of everything you could imagine to fill a new house (soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, toothbrushes, sponges etc.. you get the idea), and everything you could imagine for a new bubba (nappies, lotions etc), and everything you could imagine to stuff a new house for xmas (ok that last bit is pushing it, we bought some party snacks to pretend we have a social life on xmas morning )

So ALL that came to $400. I looked at the wife and said, "well, at least its not as much as Glittababes $470 a week shopping"!
Dude First Christmas in New House with (new )baby, atlast good things in life (but not free )
- Bart
Old Dec 29th 2005, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Wow it must have been like supermarket sweep...I am lol with the image of you two with a trolley each running around Coles...you could of taken all the time in the world as we were only on our second round of cuddles when you arrived!!(with the baby) in case anyone was wondering

Carol
Here's a short story cut long...

We had no idea how much we were going to buy. We made up our usual shopping list with a few extra items for the baby. Then we were in the supermarket, ADL took a basket for his junk food, and I took a trolley for the essentials. Because we didn't go to the fruit barn like we normally do, I ended up filling half the trolley with fruit and veg, leaving just enough room for some more food. Then ADL came to my rescue - brought me an empty trolley. I gave him the full trolley and he paid for all that stuff in the trolley and in the basket, and packed everything into the car, then came back to find another over-filled trolley waiting to be paid for...

Never knew how difficult it was to spend $400 at a supermarket... :scared:

Thanks Carol for babysitting again!

Mrs JTL
Old Dec 30th 2005, 12:24 am
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Good luck to you if you can do it but I just know that we could not get by on that budget.
We called in at Coles this afternoon to pick up some fruit, milk bread and a few party items for tomorrow night, we ended up spending $170 Maybe we do push the boat out a bit too much because when I looked through the trolley the only food of any substance were some lamb chops for the BBQ, the rest was toiletries, tinned items and drinks.

I am going to keep my receipts for the next week or two and see how much we actually spend. I have a funny feeling it may be more than I previously stated.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I got curious and analysed our spending for the last 6 months:

Weekly averages based over 26 weeks
$65.86 Woolworths
$27.12 Fruit & Veg shop, (inc Bread & Milk)
$ 6.98 Seafood shop
$11.43 Butchers

$111.40 per week average for July to Dec 2005

And yes, this includes toiletries and laundry things

Add to this the takeaway food. Chicken and Chips, or Fish & Chips, both at about $10 for the 3 of us, maybe a couple of times per week, and we get to $132 pw.

Not including proper restaurants here, as I don't class that as a "normal" food expense.

How we do it ? My wife cooks it, I try not to get too involved in that, so I assume she does a good job, for what we do buy.

A typical weekend breakfast would be croissants, but just cereals during the week.