Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weekly costs for a family of 4?

Weekly costs for a family of 4?

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weekly costs for a family of 4?

Originally Posted by Zen10
Fish is incredibly expensive here in my view. We cut salmon steaks in half because of the cost of them. The best way we have of reducing cost is what everyone else down this road has discovered - buy in bulk, cook large meals and freeze them for later use. Eating less meat helps as well, even here where it's cheaper. I stopped drinking a couple of years ago and that saved an absolute pile - never worked it out but must be around $3000 saved.

One thing I will add about inflation in prices is that some people submit and build up debt to continue their lifestyle, and others simply cut what they spend and consume less so the shops don't get the extra cash. I'm in the latter.
Sure you can always cut back on things - but we like to eat nice food, we rarely go out, our biggest expenses are food and the kids extra-curricular activities. I was only answering your question about "what do people eat" and your suggestion that those with large food bills must either be overeating or not eating the right things.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

You may be entitled to family assistance and help with your rent depending on your circumstances?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Babsw
You may be entitled to family assistance and help with your rent depending on your circumstances?
Yeah, that might be worth checking into as well. I'm not sure if temp visas have access to it, but we were PR, and when we first arrived, we were entitled to rent assistance and the Child Tax benefit. Not a lot by any means, but every bit helps, right?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Yeah, that might be worth checking into as well. I'm not sure if temp visas have access to it, but we were PR, and when we first arrived, we were entitled to rent assistance and the Child Tax benefit. Not a lot by any means, but every bit helps, right?
He's a citizen and his wife would be coming on a spouse visa. I would think they would be entitled to rent assist, etc.

The people saying they only spend 30 cents per week on food don't live in Perth. They have no idea how much more expensive things are here than in the eastern states - and before anyone has a go, I travel to Adelaide (where surprisingly I shop for food) on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, I was there just 2 weeks ago!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
He's a citizen and his wife would be coming on a spouse visa. I would think they would be entitled to rent assist, etc.

The people saying they only spend 30 cents per week on food don't live in Perth. They have no idea how much more expensive things are here than in the eastern states - and before anyone has a go, I travel to Adelaide (where surprisingly I shop for food) on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, I was there just 2 weeks ago!
Perth and Brisbane are pretty comparable. I haven't been to Perth for a couple of years but have family that come over all the time and find groceries pretty much the same price.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

I've been here now over 15 months with my wife although we have no kids to feed. Our weekly shop has yet to exceed $150 except for when my family wrre here and i bought us all 400gram scotch fillet steaks.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

I shop once a fortnight on pay day to feed 3 adults (including my son who eats for 2!!) My food bill is never above $300 for the fortnight and we eat healthily (most of the time ) Admittedly I buy the cheaper cuts of meat and very little of the goodies but it is possible. During the fortnight I usually only have to top up on bread and milk. We plan meals for the fortnight and then make a shopping list from that - it's frustrating at times not to be able to just chuck anything we like into the trolley but hey ho that's life
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Hi OP,

We managed on $400 a month for two adults and two cats for a few months when only I was working. That included basic toiletries etc and I don't think we ate badly at all, still had meat and veg and fruit and cheese. To be honest, we probably could have done it for less, although that would have impacted the quality of our diet. We were in Melbourne and had the benefit of Queen Vic market so we may well have been able to get things cheaper than in Perth, I wouldn't know. I would think $200 per week is fine for a while, if you know you will eventually have another income, and can up your food spend then. You won't be eating fillet every night, but you should be able to eat!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:35 am
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
Hi OP,

We managed on $400 a month for two adults and two cats for a few months when only I was working. That included basic toiletries etc and I don't think we ate badly at all, still had meat and veg and fruit and cheese. To be honest, we probably could have done it for less, although that would have impacted the quality of our diet. We were in Melbourne and had the benefit of Queen Vic market so we may well have been able to get things cheaper than in Perth, I wouldn't know. I would think $200 per week is fine for a while, if you know you will eventually have another income, and can up your food spend then. You won't be eating fillet every night, but you should be able to eat!
Thanks all. Sounds like we could survive then!