Reload this Page >

Moving to Perth.. Any advice?

Moving to Perth.. Any advice?

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

nicdev06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Perth.. Any advice?

Hi All,

Im currently living in the UK but me and my partner have got working holiday visas for Australia and are looking to move out to Perth in March.
My partner who is 29 has a job on the cards whereas i have no job as of yet. Ive worked for a bank for the last 4 years but i cannot apply for similar jobs in OZ because you have to be a citizen... Any advice for me??

Also, we're looking to house share for a while because the cost of renting will be too high, any advice on the best palces in Perth to look?

Any advice on lifestyle and costs will also be greatly appreciated as we are hoping to make this move a more permanent thing!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth.. Any advice?

Hello and welcome....

Best places to look? geographically? Or to find one?

House share...finding one ... Perth gumtree.... Online...

I believe There are restrictions about length of time anyone can work with a single employer on a WHV... Which is why so many WHVs work bar and service industries.... That may well impact on your ability to get a "serious" job... Unless you temp?????

Any way... Good luck... I'm sure you'll find a wealth of info on here
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I did something similar in June 2011, we're still here in Perth and now have PR and about to buy our first house! (Hopefully....)

What did you do in a bank? Find it surprising that you wouldn't be able to work in a bank if you aren't an aussie citizen. There is the restriction on the WHV that you can only work for one employer up to 6 months, which does prove a problem for some... but depends on the type of work you want.

If you've basic admin and secretarial skills then there are quite a lot of temp and contract vacancies advertised, you'd expect anything from $28 - $35 an hour for those. We got jobs within days of arriving as office temps.... but it's changed a bit since then and work is a bit harder to come by.

In terms of areas, depends on what you like really. As a young couple we chose to live in Subiaco, which is quite a vibrant part of the City - stuff going on and it's own high street with shops and bars (not something you'll get in the suburbs). Other areas I'd think about to be in the thick of it are Leederville, Mount Lawley, Highgate, East Perth, Northbridge, Fremantle, Claremont. All not cheap places, but if you rented a 2 bed unit you could find somewhere for $400 - $500 a week.

No idea on house shares as not something we'd ever contempate, been there done that.

As a rough idea on living costs, we spend roughly $4,500 per month on everything - rent, petrol, food, broadband, foxtel, medical insurance, eating out a couple of times a week, drinking, entertainment. And we don't live cheaply.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Thank u! That's a massive help! We didn't have a clue where would be best to settle! Can I just ask, where did you look for the temp work because I've looked online and can't see many!

Thanks for the Gumtree tip too, I've had a look on there and theres loads to rent and share! Xx
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

We mainly used www.seek.com.au seems to be the website where everything is advertised.

Like I said, it's quite slow at the moment, with it being January and Australia Day just around the corner, should pick up again in February hopefully!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Thank you! I much appreciate the advice!.... I'll have a look on that site now. And congratulations on your PR! Enjoy Australia day! X