Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A wee problem with my shippers

A wee problem with my shippers

Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default A wee problem with my shippers

and I wonder if you can help?

Container (groupage for us) left WA in August. It is now in Felixstowe awaiting customs clearance. Our personal items are all very straightforward.

The motorbike onboard is causing some problems although can be easily fixed by me but I am putting my foot down due to principal! Or is it principle!

Anyhoos

The bike has only been quoted to go as far as London. I have e-mails between me and the shippers in Perth stating that he'd get it to the UK but that we'd need to collect from them. I said this was fine but could he let me know who as I didn't expect it to be miles from me. Well, I am in Fife and the bike is in London some 7-8 hour drive away.

The first time I knew about our stuff coming in through London was when the ship left port and I receiving a tracking e-mail.

The additional cost to get the bike brought up here is about £65 so hardly breaking the bank but who should pay? The shippers in Perth are refusing so I can see me paying just to get my stuff back sooner.

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A wee problem with my shippers

I think (but I'm not a lawyer) that unless it says he'd get it to Scotland you'll find it difficult to argue breach of contract

Personally I'd pay just to avoid the stress - it's not much. But if you can argue without getting stressed then try and get them to pay.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I understand your dilema to be honest. You said you paid for bike to be shipped to london and you are in Scotland, so £65 seems very reasonable. I'd just pay it myself.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

if you dont want to be held up i would pay the £65 and argue the toss after it is delivered

if you do not get it back hardly a bank breaker but it doesnt hold the rest of your stuff up
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Sheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura aboutSheilas Wheels has a spectacular aura about

Just the start of a long expensive process!!
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Not sure I understand your dilema to be honest. You said you paid for bike to be shipped to london and you are in Scotland, so £65 seems very reasonable. I'd just pay it myself.
No, it always has been Scotland. London was never mentioned to me and Kent have taken it upon themselves to use an agent in London.

I knew we'd need to collect the bike but never agreed to London.

As I say, it won't break the bank paying the extra cash.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

To an Aussie the UK is London. So them saying they'd get it to the UK probably meant London.

I have no idea why they think the UK starts and ends at London...but that's a whole new thread!
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 5:02 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kingseat

The bike has only been quoted to go as far as London. I have e-mails between me and the shippers in Perth stating that he'd get it to the UK but that we'd need to collect from them.
From what you say I think the shippers have done what they said they would. It's up to you to get it from them. So if it were me I'd pay the relatively small fee rather than do the big drive.