View Poll Results: Where should the Bundies get married?
UK wedding, probably Cambridge
80.85%
Nundle, NSW (our *other* home)
19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Wedding Dilemma

Old May 31st 2004, 12:47 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wedding Dilemma

What to do, what to do.

As most of you know, Mr B and I got engaged back in Feb. And we're beginning to think about the wedding in our usual vague way.

Question is, should we get married in the UK next summer, before we head to Oz (thereby including the honeymoon en route, poss in Fiji). This would be best for my family who are all over here, and a large chunk of Mr B's wider family. Plus a lot of our mates.

Or, do we wait until we get to Oz, get married in the little church in Nundle? Better for Mr B's family, our very closest mates are all out in Oz etc etc.

if we get married in one place, we'll have a blessing in the other.

Thoughts? Advice? Pros and cons?
Old May 31st 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I would have the wedding in the Uk before you leave, that would be a nice send off for you both and I expect your Mum would appreciate it. Like you suggest having the Honeymoon enroute would be easy as well.

What a great start to a new marriage a new life in Aus.

Whatever you decide I am sure it will be a fab day.
Old May 31st 2004, 12:57 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Being a patriotic type Australian, I'd say get married in Australia, and drink plenty of Jim Beam!

We'll just ignore the little fact that Beam isn't Australian

Seriously though, wherever you two think would be the best place.
Old May 31st 2004, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I think the UK too as the family and friends will beable to celebrate with you.
It will be nice to have the photos of everyone too.

Whisky
Old May 31st 2004, 12:59 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Tina. Big send off, honeymoon along the way and a complete new start in Oz
Old May 31st 2004, 1:00 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding Dilemma

Originally posted by bundy
What to do, what to do.

As most of you know, Mr B and I got engaged back in Feb. And we're beginning to think about the wedding in our usual vague way.

Question is, should we get married in the UK next summer, before we head to Oz (thereby including the honeymoon en route, poss in Fiji). This would be best for my family who are all over here, and a large chunk of Mr B's wider family. Plus a lot of our mates.

Or, do we wait until we get to Oz, get married in the little church in Nundle? Better for Mr B's family, our very closest mates are all out in Oz etc etc.

Arghh, that's so difficult! For us it was easy because 99% of everyone was over here.

I know Mr Bundy's not to close with his family in Oz? Oh wait, forgot about his uncles and aunt.
And of course you'd be doing a blessing thing in the other place.

Umm, the family you're closest to is in the UK/Jersey, right?
And you're mum won't be able to fly to Oz I guess.

Ok, I've decided what to vote for: UK.
Specially for your family.

If you only did a blessing in the UK, I don't think that'd be much?
And it probably wouldn't be straight after the wedding either?

And if you did the blessing in Oz, that would probably be pretty soon after the real wedding(and honeymoon), and you could have a big party with those friends, and Mr B's family.

I have a feeling weddings might mean more for the bride's side? Ok, might be sexist, but still, it more of a big deal with the mum and daughter the bride than the groom's side?????

Well, probably not been much help! Good luck with the decision
Old May 31st 2004, 1:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Marry in the UK, then have a proper blessing in the church in Nundle.
On the purely practical side, a blessing in the UK will have to be AFTER the wedding, so unless you can afford to fly back very soon, there may be a long gap between the two events.
You both have a life in the UK as well as in Oz, and Mr B sounds close to your family and friends, so that way they can all celebrate with you.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 31st 2004 at 1:05 pm.
Old May 31st 2004, 1:05 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Bah, I'm getting out-voted here!

/subliminal message on
"Marry in Australia, Marry in Australia!"
Old May 31st 2004, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hiya bundy

You guys have to go with what your hearts are telling you. For what it's worth though, my twopence worth is the same as the majority above...do it in the UK. That way you can have a great send off from the UK, have a wonderful honeymoon en-route and then another party and blessing when you arrive....that way you get to celebrate 3 times....BARGAIN!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide tho!

love sophia xx
Old May 31st 2004, 2:39 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Almost everyone's replies seem to come from the heart, but what about the head? I speak of the practicality of how getting married relates to your visa. I don't know what process you have to go through to get a spouse visa but does it in any way depend on your getting married before entering Oz? Or depend on your *not* getting married (i.e. not changing your status) before entering Oz? Or perhaps they are sensibly lenient on this matter? And if you're going to change your surname then would it be better to do that (plus all the tedious paperwork) in the UK or in Oz?

Just a thought.

I must say that from my perspective a marriage in Nundle sounds a lot more romantic, but better still why not do it en route (e.g. Fiji)? Now that *would* be romantic, however impractical!
Old May 31st 2004, 2:49 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hey Bundy - where would you like to get married most? If there were no family politics involved, where would make you the most happiest?
I had the same dilemma as eventually me and the fella (hes still waiting for his divorce to happen the Ex isn' t making it easy!) want to get married. We have decided we will be getting married in the UK and will be having one hellava party when we return to Oz for everyone who cant make it over for the actual day
Old May 31st 2004, 2:52 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Almost everyone's replies seem to come from the heart, but what about the head? I speak of the practicality of how getting married relates to your visa. I don't know what process you have to go through to get a spouse visa but does it in any way depend on your getting married before entering Oz? Or depend on your *not* getting married (i.e. not changing your status) before entering Oz? Or perhaps they are sensibly lenient on this matter? And if you're going to change your surname then would it be better to do that (plus all the tedious paperwork) in the UK or in Oz?
It wouldn't make a difference to the spouse visa where you actually got married as Australian marriages are legally recognised in the UK and the other way round too. Being married can help speed up your application and you don't have to prove 12 months de facto relationship.. but I think Bundy & MrB have been together for quite some time anyway now so that should be easy for them
Old May 31st 2004, 2:55 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mlbonner
It wouldn't make a difference to the spouse visa where you actually got married as Australian marriages are legally recognised in the UK and the other way round too. Being married can help speed up your application and you don't have to prove 12 months de facto relationship.. but I think Bundy & MrB have been together for quite some time anyway now so that should be easy for them
Yep, it can help a bit, but if you've been married less than 12 months, you still have to prove lots of stuff.

Yeah, Bundy won't have a problem proving anything, that'll be the easy part I reckon!
Old May 31st 2004, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by bundy
What to do, what to do.

Hi there

I've voted UK as has been said before it would be a wonderful send off for your family and friends and it is them you are leaving behind, you can have the blessing of a new marriage and a new life once you get there.

Lindsey
Old May 31st 2004, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

Hi Bundy,

Has to be the UK in my opinion, can't imagine anything to make your dad more proud than having to walk you up that aisle before you head off to start your new life in Oz.

However, what ever you decide I'm sure it will be perfect.

CK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.