British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Website showing actual house sold prices in Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/website-showing-actual-house-sold-prices-oz-765668/)

Still Game Jul 20th 2012 2:00 pm

Website showing actual house sold prices in Oz

Hi

Have looked on a few websites and google'd trying to find (free) house sold prices for Oz.

There are websites, however many listings have 'contact' rather than the sale price.

Does anyone know of any websites that actually show this information rather than having to contact an estate agency?

Thanks

fish.01 Jul 20th 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Website showing actual house sold prices in Oz

Think you have to sign up with RPData to get more recent sale prices.

Here's a free one that does older sales:

http://www.onthehouse.com.au/

Still Game Jul 20th 2012 2:27 pm

Cheers!

However.... this is the website mainly I was speaking of that just says 'contact' rather than the price.... quite annoying!

fish.01 Jul 20th 2012 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice (Post 10183508)
Cheers!

However.... this is the website mainly I was speaking of that just says 'contact' rather than the price.... quite annoying!

I click the Sold Prices tab at the top and then enter my Brisbane postcode and it shows quite a few sales in the area...not the very latest though.

Maybe your state doesn't provide the data...are you in Vic as think they have different rules...

Beoz Jul 21st 2012 2:14 am

I phone my bank manager who has RPdata on his phone

ajw Jul 21st 2012 3:43 am

Yes RPData collect this information and then sell it onto estate agents, banks etc. They have a content share agreement with realestate.com.au so you may find price info there under the 'sold' tab. Increasingly, many agents will not share this data due to tensions over who 'owns' the data and how it is then sold on..

Tramps_mate Jul 21st 2012 4:06 am

http://www.realestate.com.au

has a sold prices tab...

Tramps_mate Jul 21st 2012 4:06 am

Most are contact on second look.. :(

Scotty1 Jul 21st 2012 5:44 am

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice (Post 10183448)
Hi

Have looked on a few websites and google'd trying to find (free) house sold prices for Oz.

There are websites, however many listings have 'contact' rather than the sale price.

Does anyone know of any websites that actually show this information rather than having to contact an estate agency?

Thanks

There is no Oz site like netprices or mouseprices that give free sold price info fom the land registry. The main ones used by real estate agents are RPdata and Pricefinder, but both cost money. In NSW (and possibly elsewhere, but I only know about NSW) you can pay a small fee and get the information from the land registry on a specific house - worth it if you want to make an offer.
The info from RP Data and Pricefinder tends to come from agents and as such there are more reliable sources of sale prices, but its not bad.

Tramps_mate Jul 21st 2012 6:43 am

Why is knowing selling prices important by the way?

spottydog Jul 21st 2012 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Scotty1 (Post 10184553)
There is no Oz site like netprices or mouseprices that give free sold price info fom the land registry. The main ones used by real estate agents are RPdata and Pricefinder, but both cost money. In NSW (and possibly elsewhere, but I only know about NSW) you can pay a small fee and get the information from the land registry on a specific house - worth it if you want to make an offer.
The info from RP Data and Pricefinder tends to come from agents and as such there are more reliable sources of sale prices, but its not bad.

www.onthehouse.com.au has actual sold prices in their reports tab (for NSW at least) this comes from the land registry equivalent so as with the ones in the UK may take a few months to show. You have to register to run the reports but it's free.

For more recent information then I thinks it's contact the agent or pay RP data.

Shenni Jul 21st 2012 4:47 pm

If you search the area you want then click on any house there is a link towards the bottom of that houses ad that is a link to sold houses in that area, some show a price range, others exact price and others nothing at all depending on how much privacy the new owner wants I guess.

Zen10 Jul 21st 2012 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate (Post 10184490)

has a sold prices tab...

This is an excellent website so thanks! Down my street I have just discovered that a detached house was sold for $112,000 in 1997, and yet today the piece of empty land the same size a few doors down was recently on the market for $600,000.

Now that is what I call out of control housing inflation.

Beoz Jul 22nd 2012 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate (Post 10184586)
Why is knowing selling prices important by the way?

If you are looking at buying, and you want to put in an offer, its nice to understand what the recent market has been doing in that area. I know in my area house prices have come down a lot in the last 6 months. The offers over price is usually way more than the end selling price. Probably because sellers are hoping for a high price, but also their expectation is that of prices from 1 year ago. You don't want to be going in early at the offers over price when you could have gone in way lower.

Tramps_mate Jul 22nd 2012 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 10185632)
If you are looking at buying, and you want to put in an offer, its nice to understand what the recent market has been doing in that area. I know in my area house prices have come down a lot in the last 6 months. The offers over price is usually way more than the end selling price. Probably because sellers are hoping for a high price, but also their expectation is that of prices from 1 year ago. You don't want to be going in early at the offers over price when you could have gone in way lower.

My first offer on any house would be atleast 10-15% off any listed price. Also at the end of the day it's worth what you want to pay!