Wikiposts

Webcams

Old Sep 25th 2003, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

wilort03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Webcams

I have recently acquired a Logitech 510 Webcam the main pupose of which is converse with my brother in the UK. However after several attempts we have been unable to make both voice and video contact together. Whilst everything seems to check out OK at my end, my brother seems to think that he has a fault at his end.
To put my mind at ease, is there anyone out there who is willing to try and make contact with me using a webcam?
Old Sep 25th 2003, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I got this working with a mate in the UK after a few attempts. Both of us using broadband (me ADSL, him cable). Never got it working on a dial-up line. If you are using MSN Messenger, make sure you are both on the same version i.e. the latest version.

NetMeeting works as well. Again, make sure you are both on the same version. In XP if you can’t find the NetMeeting application, start it by Start>Run>conf

Can’t quite remember, but the internal XP firewall may also block it, so may be worth switching it off to try it.

May not be around much this weekend, but send me a PM and I can set up a NetMeeting Host call to automatically accept incoming calls. You will need my host address to initiate the call. Won’t be home until 6-7pm tonight.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Webcams

Make sure both have messenger v6.0 and don't use the webcam function but request start netmeeting. Seems much more reliable.

We have finally got it to work fine after hours of conversations on the phone doing step by step. Also got awful echo & feedback but solved that with headphones.

We use Win 98, the other end is on XP, us at our end always has to request the meeting because of this it seems.

Oh and we are on ISDN with 128mb speed and no problems, slight delay

Good luck
Mash

Originally posted by wilort03
I have recently acquired a Logitech 510 Webcam the main pupose of which is converse with my brother in the UK. However after several attempts we have been unable to make both voice and video contact together. Whilst everything seems to check out OK at my end, my brother seems to think that he has a fault at his end.
To put my mind at ease, is there anyone out there who is willing to try and make contact with me using a webcam?
Old Sep 26th 2003, 10:03 am
Just Joined

wilort03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Gordon
Many thanks for your response to my posting.
Both I and my brother in the UK are operating with Windows XP, Windows Messenger v6.0 and broadband.
I am not behind a firewall but perhaps my brother may be?
We have a contact scheduled for Sunday next, 28th September in the evening so I will follow this reply up with another after that time.
Once again many thanks,
David
Old Sep 26th 2003, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Sent you a PM with my NetMeeting contact details.