British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Weather in Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/weather-melbourne-524154/)

Pinny Mar 24th 2008 10:20 pm

Weather in Melbourne

Hi
I have just read a thread and it quoted that the weather in Melbourne was "not too good" on average.
Can anybody elaborate in detail as to what weather you should expect in Melbourne?
Cheers

Kapri Mar 24th 2008 10:40 pm

Re: Weather in Melbourne

Hi pinny

Try this thread for some opinions :)

MartinLuther Mar 24th 2008 11:17 pm

It's true that we do get a couple of bad days now and again sometimes occasionally.

It is "not too good" according to the people who don't live here :sneaky:

I've heard that the weather's better in England :D

Buzzy--Bee Mar 25th 2008 3:17 am

Before I lived here, well-respected BE poster TheBears/Geelong Gent told me -

Originally Posted by thebears
I would move to Melbourne for it's weather.

At the time, while I lived in the UK, I didn't know what he meant. Now I live in Melbourne, I can see exactly what he means.

I find Melbourne weather to be very meditteranean, hot or warm, dry air, not humid, with the occasional storm or heavy rain (less than once a month). Winter is cool, not cold, but still sunny. I love the weather here!

Buzzy

Pommy Dan Mar 25th 2008 5:31 am

The weather here is great – certainly when one compares it to the UK.

An interesting point to remember is Melbourne’s Latitude is about 38 degrees, which is roughly the same as the southern half of Spain.

Even in midwinter, if the weather is clear and you can find a spot out of any wind you can really feel the warmth of the sunshine, almost making it t shirt weather...

And anyway, if you don’t like the weather in Melbourne, just hang around for an hour – it will probably change!

MartinLuther Mar 25th 2008 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan (Post 6107235)
...An interesting point to remember is Melbourne’s Latitude is about 38 degrees, which is roughly the same as the southern half of Spain.

You have to be careful with that. Because the southern hemisphere is cooler, the temps and weather of the equivalent latitude doesn't match.

However the brightness of the sun does. :thumbup:

moneypenny20 Mar 25th 2008 9:20 am

Nah, it's really cold, you wake up to sun, then it rains for lunch and is snowing by tea, then the sun goes down and it's just plain miserable.;)

I have to ask though what exactly does "not too good" mean? compared to what? What do you want? If you want it really hot and humid, then no I guess it's not, if you want it a bit more varied then I guess it will be great :D

talbot Mar 25th 2008 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6106922)
Before I lived here, well-respected BE poster TheBears/Geelong Gent told me -

At the time, while I lived in the UK, I didn't know what he meant. Now I live in Melbourne, I can see exactly what he means.

I find Melbourne weather to be very meditteranean, hot or warm, dry air, not humid, with the occasional storm or heavy rain (less than once a month). Winter is cool, not cold, but still sunny. I love the weather here!

Buzzy

Actually I found last winter pretty cold, not cool!! AND I've lived in Scotland before.
I'm nae complaining because I love a change in the climates and embrace the difference!

MartinLuther Mar 25th 2008 11:03 am

Originally Posted by talbot (Post 6108099)
Actually I found last winter pretty cold, not cool!! AND I've lived in Scotland before.
I'm nae complaining because I love a change in the climates and embrace the difference!

See! Not only is the weather better in England (as mentioned above) it's better in Scotland.

I think that's what's called "not too good" :blink:

talbot Mar 25th 2008 11:49 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 6108166)
See! Not only is the weather better in England (as mentioned above) it's better in Scotland.

I think that's what's called "not too good" :blink:

Actually it's called "Nae too good!"

Shakmaty Mar 26th 2008 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Pinny (Post 6106047)
Hi
I have just read a thread and it quoted that the weather in Melbourne was "not too good" on average.
Can anybody elaborate in detail as to what weather you should expect in Melbourne?
Cheers

Averagely about 10C warmer than the UK year round. 10 year drought being forecast to break this year, but we'll see.

Very bright sunshine, sometimes biting wind from the antarctic, sometimes wind from central deserts feel like a convection oven. Seasons here are nice, and there is a pleasant lack of humidity.

If you want constant warmth, choose Gold Coast:)