Reload this Page >

Weather in Melbourne

Weather in Melbourne

Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Pinny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weather in Melbourne

Hi
I have just read a thread and it quoted that the weather in Melbourne was "not too good" on average.
Can anybody elaborate in detail as to what weather you should expect in Melbourne?
Cheers
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:40 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather in Melbourne

Hi pinny

Try this thread for some opinions
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

It's true that we do get a couple of bad days now and again sometimes occasionally.

It is "not too good" according to the people who don't live here

I've heard that the weather's better in England

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 24th 2008 at 11:20 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Before I lived here, well-respected BE poster TheBears/Geelong Gent told me -
Originally Posted by thebears
I would move to Melbourne for it's weather.
At the time, while I lived in the UK, I didn't know what he meant. Now I live in Melbourne, I can see exactly what he means.

I find Melbourne weather to be very meditteranean, hot or warm, dry air, not humid, with the occasional storm or heavy rain (less than once a month). Winter is cool, not cold, but still sunny. I love the weather here!

Buzzy
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

The weather here is great – certainly when one compares it to the UK.

An interesting point to remember is Melbourne’s Latitude is about 38 degrees, which is roughly the same as the southern half of Spain.

Even in midwinter, if the weather is clear and you can find a spot out of any wind you can really feel the warmth of the sunshine, almost making it t shirt weather...

And anyway, if you don’t like the weather in Melbourne, just hang around for an hour – it will probably change!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
...An interesting point to remember is Melbourne’s Latitude is about 38 degrees, which is roughly the same as the southern half of Spain.
You have to be careful with that. Because the southern hemisphere is cooler, the temps and weather of the equivalent latitude doesn't match.

However the brightness of the sun does.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, it's really cold, you wake up to sun, then it rains for lunch and is snowing by tea, then the sun goes down and it's just plain miserable.

I have to ask though what exactly does "not too good" mean? compared to what? What do you want? If you want it really hot and humid, then no I guess it's not, if you want it a bit more varied then I guess it will be great
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Before I lived here, well-respected BE poster TheBears/Geelong Gent told me -

At the time, while I lived in the UK, I didn't know what he meant. Now I live in Melbourne, I can see exactly what he means.

I find Melbourne weather to be very meditteranean, hot or warm, dry air, not humid, with the occasional storm or heavy rain (less than once a month). Winter is cool, not cold, but still sunny. I love the weather here!

Buzzy
Actually I found last winter pretty cold, not cool!! AND I've lived in Scotland before.
I'm nae complaining because I love a change in the climates and embrace the difference!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by talbot
Actually I found last winter pretty cold, not cool!! AND I've lived in Scotland before.
I'm nae complaining because I love a change in the climates and embrace the difference!
See! Not only is the weather better in England (as mentioned above) it's better in Scotland.

I think that's what's called "not too good"
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
See! Not only is the weather better in England (as mentioned above) it's better in Scotland.

I think that's what's called "not too good"
Actually it's called "Nae too good!"
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:21 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinny
Hi
I have just read a thread and it quoted that the weather in Melbourne was "not too good" on average.
Can anybody elaborate in detail as to what weather you should expect in Melbourne?
Cheers
Averagely about 10C warmer than the UK year round. 10 year drought being forecast to break this year, but we'll see.

Very bright sunshine, sometimes biting wind from the antarctic, sometimes wind from central deserts feel like a convection oven. Seasons here are nice, and there is a pleasant lack of humidity.

If you want constant warmth, choose Gold Coast