Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the weather important ??

View Poll Results: Is the weather important ??
UK: Key factor in the move
40.74%
UK: Good bonus but not that important
22.22%
UK: Couldn't care less
7.41%
OZ: Was key factor and loving it
14.81%
OZ: Was key but now pain in the ass
1.85%
OZ: Was not that important but love it
9.26%
OZ: Was not that important and its a pain
3.70%
OZ: Didn't care and still don't care
0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Is the weather important ??

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I know a lot of people on here think I hate heat. But I dont I cope well with anything up to 31/32. Its over that that it simply becomes frankly a nightmare to do anything. Dry heat becomes like a furnace, humid heat becomes like a steam room.

I dont think you can explain the intensity of the heat, every Pom we have ever had come out will tell us they love heat, they adore it but in actual fact when they arrive they had absolutely no idea what its like here

Eating outside, no way, mozzies flies.

I suppose you just try to "cope" with the weather from about November to March maybe longer. Get up early, avoid the sun, carry water, find shade, wear hats, sunblock, shirts etc. Avoid sport or anyting that requires energy.

Queensland has one bonus tho, when most of OZ has cooled from a furnace to peeing rain and cold , Qld has great winters most would enjoy, clear blue skies, almost no rain, temps in the low to mid 20's.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Voted for the " In the U.K, coulden't care less " category.

The weather / climate in Oz has absolutely no bearing on our desicion to migrate, funnily enough tho', it's one of the first things people mention, when they hear of our plans to migrate

" Oooh, all that lovely sunshine " etc, etc,

Having two small children to cover up with factor 50 at all times makes the appeal of the sunshine, a little less appealing!!!

And moving to hot, humid and sticky Cairns makes the problems of the sun and it's associated factors all the more real.

Keep out of the sun kids! I have no desire to look like a dried up leather handbag within the next 20 yrs!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Hey- you missed NZ off your poll !!
just to add my two pence worth - Weather didn't pay any part in our decision to move at all, we didn't really care, but now that we've been here nearly 3 years we're agreed that it's actually really nice to be able to wear t-shirts most of the year and would not necessarily want to move back to a colder country. you do adapt though and last winter was the first I've actaulty felt cold.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in & enjoyed living in a part of SA (Zululand) that can make SE Qld seem like NZ (it regularly gets a very humid 45+), so weather will be no problem to me.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
Australian ski fields are a fraction of the size of what is on offer in Europe. The snow is less reliable and the season is shorter.

Winter here feels cold because one gets acclimatised to the heat of summer and the housing is designed to stay cool.

Thats what I thought ! So should I sell all my ski gear before coming and kiss a winter holiday goodbye or is it a viable option ??
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by xpat19
Hey- you missed NZ off your poll !!
just to add my two pence worth - Weather didn't pay any part in our decision to move at all, we didn't really care, but now that we've been here nearly 3 years we're agreed that it's actually really nice to be able to wear t-shirts most of the year and would not necessarily want to move back to a colder country. you do adapt though and last winter was the first I've actaulty felt cold.

Kind of guessed that nobody would emigrate to NZ for the weather !!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 10:55 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

well i never made it home after coming over to oz for a year. had different reasons for staying at the time, but i think the biggest factor which makes me think i probably won't go back is the weather (shhhhh, the girlfriend thinks it's because of her...) - but not directly because of the weather, more because it offers the ability to be in the open air more, and if you plan on going somewhere for a weekend you can pretty much guarantee that you won't be sitting inside while watching the rain all day.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 11:15 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Weather was a big plus in deciding to move. Wife suffers from Reynaulds syndrome and she's much better in the heat. The psoriasis is loads better too, with the high UV levels.

I was surprised at how COLD AND WET Perth is for a few months each year. That's right - bloody freezing at night for about 3 months.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 11:35 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

I voted UK cos you dont give any other options, but for us the weather is THE major factor cos Mairi has arthritis which is not good in Northern Europe. When she had her last op in 2003 we mentioned to the doc that we were thinking about going back to OZ and he said Quote "thats better than any medicine or operation". As it is at the moment Mairi has 2-3 months of each year where she has difficulty walking, so for us the weather is 99% of the reason. The other 1% is that Mairi wants to see her family again after 6 years since the last time.

Last edited by Mairi&Chris; Mar 4th 2004 at 6:54 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 11:37 pm
ABCDiamond

So far, from the OZ results:
70% love the weather and
30% think its a pain.

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 11:43 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Mairi&Chris; Mar 4th 2004 at 6:49 am.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by sjn2003
Thats what I thought ! So should I sell all my ski gear before coming and kiss a winter holiday goodbye or is it a viable option ??

We have done the ski thing here. Trouble is it is soooo expensive. The season is very short, August is probably the most likely month there will be enough snow to ski. When Canada 3000 was in operation we could fly to Whistler for $999 each. For a fortnights skiing it was cheaper to fly to bloody Canada, than ski in OZ.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dotty
We have done the ski thing here. Trouble is it is soooo expensive. The season is very short, August is probably the most likely month there will be enough snow to ski. When Canada 3000 was in operation we could fly to Whistler for $999 each. For a fortnights skiing it was cheaper to fly to bloody Canada, than ski in OZ.
That's interesting and useful, as my daughter has just asked me if we can go down to the snowy mountains some time !

Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
That's interesting and useful, as my daughter has just asked me if we can go down to the snowy mountains some time !
Take into account the trans tassie airfares you are probably better off going to the more spectacular scenery in Middle Earth.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
Take into account the trans tassie airfares you are probably better off going to the more spectacular scenery in Middle Earth.
Now she is really confused ! She just wants to throw snowballs at me again !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.