Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the weather important ??

View Poll Results: Is the weather important ??
UK: Key factor in the move
40.74%
UK: Good bonus but not that important
22.22%
UK: Couldn't care less
7.41%
OZ: Was key factor and loving it
14.81%
OZ: Was key but now pain in the ass
1.85%
OZ: Was not that important but love it
9.26%
OZ: Was not that important and its a pain
3.70%
OZ: Didn't care and still don't care
0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Is the weather important ??

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Is the weather important ??

Was just wondering how important the Aussie weather is to your decision to emigrate ? Would you still be going if the weather was the same as the UK ??

And for those in Australia, has the quality of the weather lived up to your expectations or does it become a pain in the ass after a while??

For me, the good weather is an important factor in the move. I know there will be days when it is too damn hot but I hope that most of the year the weather will be good enough to enjoy a more outside lifestyle, particularly being able to eat and drink outside at restaurants - important as we have a young boy, something that you can only do for 3-4 months of the year here in London.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Wanted somewhere with a more temperate climate. Chose Melbourne over Adelaide as needed to be in a place without crazy, intense sun and heat. Even Mel was often too hot in the summer for the amount of sport we like to do outdoors.

Winter was milder than UK which meant could still exercise outdoors and commute by bike, without worrying about icy roads and snow. Definately a plus.

Found the 7 months of long drawn out evenings (sunset between 4.45 and 7pm for 7 months of year) more of a setback than any weather problems. Lack of long summer evenings also a pain in the butt!! But this was just because of what we like to do with our evenings after work.

I personally find UK climate is better for our outdoor lifestyle!! Depends what you want the weather to provide I guess
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 4:44 pm
WBB

somewhere between key factor and Good bonus for us.

to be honest i dont think we would go if the weather was the same as the UK.

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 4:51 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what to vote...
I'd go along with the UK'ers, cos the weather here is similar, but I can't really chose between 'couldn't care less' and 'bonus but not important'.
It's inbetween!

I'm NOT looking forward to the hot days with no aircon at home (never seen airco at friends or our house in Perth area, but I do believe it is becoming more common) In the beginning I don't expect us to have it.

Also NOT looking forward to the cold evenings and nights in winter, without central heating. I am definetly getting a heating thing for the bathroom, and probably electric blankets, which I've always been against....

I'm looking forward to all the other weather in between, a bit warmer in general. And no freezing weather during the day. And a bit less rain at least.
I think my favourite temperature is about 25 degrees, so no where is perfect, and I'm not looking for perfection anyway!!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82

I think my favourite temperature is about 25 degrees, so no where is perfect, and I'm not looking for perfection anyway!!
HAve to agree, mid-20s suits me fine too! Anything above 30 and I'm a big, flaked-out wuss!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

As I am sitting here in Adelaide reading this it's 5am and way too hot to sleep - it's got to be around 30 degrees at the moment and blowing a gale.

I have never felt as cold in the winter in the UK as I do here. This is the only country where I have worn bed socks at night

We do get very cold, wet and miserable grey days here too you know! And yes I have seen snow a few times in the Hills around Adelaide.

Australia has bigger snowfields than in Europe - the winter sports industry is quite big in parts of NSW and Victoria.

As for sitting outside in the warm summer evenings - that's ok if you don't mind being eaten alive by those bloomin' mossies. There's something about Aussie mossies and pommie blood!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 5:39 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Its the Alcohol in the blood.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Swaffy will become famous soon enoughSwaffy will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Wanted somewhere with a more temperate climate. Chose Melbourne over Adelaide as needed to be in a place without crazy, intense sun and heat. Even Mel was often too hot in the summer for the amount of sport we like to do outdoors.

Winter was milder than UK which meant could still exercise outdoors and commute by bike, without worrying about icy roads and snow. Definately a plus.

Found the 7 months of long drawn out evenings (sunset between 4.45 and 7pm for 7 months of year) more of a setback than any weather problems. Lack of long summer evenings also a pain in the butt!! But this was just because of what we like to do with our evenings after work.

I personally find UK climate is better for our outdoor lifestyle!! Depends what you want the weather to provide I guess
I have a funny feeling that I will be a little disappointed with Oz weather after a while. Even though I hate the UK weather I do like long summer evenings.

I don't understand your point about 7 mths of sunsets by 7pm?? What happens for the rest of the year ??

I like running and am a bit woried it will be too hot - but I will be damned if I am going to winge about it !!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by wizzywozza
As I am sitting here in Adelaide reading this it's 5am and way too hot to sleep - it's got to be around 30 degrees at the moment and blowing a gale.

I have never felt as cold in the winter in the UK as I do here. This is the only country where I have worn bed socks at night

We do get very cold, wet and miserable grey days here too you know! And yes I have seen snow a few times in the Hills around Adelaide.

Australia has bigger snowfields than in Europe - the winter sports industry is quite big in parts of NSW and Victoria.

As for sitting outside in the warm summer evenings - that's ok if you don't mind being eaten alive by those bloomin' mossies. There's something about Aussie mossies and pommie blood!

When you say Oz has bigger snowfields than Europe, are you saying that they have more snow? Or are there more resorts? Because I love skiing but thought that the NSW scene was a bit poor and snow very dodgy.

I will be seriously impressed if you tell me that's not true !!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

My husband wanted to go to OZ mainly for the climate as he has been living on the Eastern Med where it is hot and humid and he loves it. He says he could never live in the Uk as it is too cold. I am used to both so weaqther is not really an issue for me.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:12 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm..........
...like the heat.....
liked it when I was in Oz...
...liked the scorching heat we had last summer in the uk...........
slept like a baby!!
and my babies all slept well too,......heat didnt bother them when we had the intense heat last summer!
They were slathered in factor 50 every day...no probs.....bombed around all day at school and nursery...no probs so far.

No doubt will be slagged for being a pommie dreamer, but I dont GAF!!

Hate the cold, damp , grey winters .........my kids are going stir crazy stuck indoors cos the back yard is a mud bath!!!! Happily off to parks etc when its not raining too hard, or to just for kids (the soft play areas) but thats bleedin expensive with 3yr old twins!! cost me 3x£3x4times during half term!!!

grumble over....

sue
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Swaffy
I don't understand your point about 7 mths of sunsets by 7pm?? What happens for the rest of the year ??
In Vic, clocks go back at end of March and go forward again at end of Oct - that's what I mean by 7 months. The other 5 months is your 'summertime' (and latest sunset will go up to about 8.30-9ish in Mel). So at end of Oct, you gain an extra hour of daylight in evening. Does that make sense?! Meg posted a great sunrise/sunset chart for Vic for me the other day but I cant remeber which thread it was on. Not all states have daylight saving.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

here it is, better than I can explain it!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
mel sunrise sunset.bmp (215.4 KB, 73 views)
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Swaffy will become famous soon enoughSwaffy will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
In Vic, clocks go back at end of March and go forward again at end of Oct - that's what I mean by 7 months. The other 5 months is your 'summertime' (and latest sunset will go up to about 8.30-9ish in Mel). So at end of Oct, you gain an extra hour of daylight in evening. Does that make sense?! Meg posted a great sunrise/sunset chart for Vic for me the other day but I cant remeber which thread it was on. Not all states have daylight saving.
Thanks for that !! Makes perfect sense to me

8.30 - 9pm is not bad for sunset - better than I thought anyway !
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 7:33 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wizzywozza

Australian ski fields are a fraction of the size of what is on offer in Europe. The snow is less reliable and the season is shorter.

Winter here feels cold because one gets acclimatised to the heat of summer and the housing is designed to stay cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.