Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weather in Brisbane-May, June, July

Weather in Brisbane-May, June, July

Old Feb 5th 2004, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

The GoodbyeGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weather in Brisbane-May, June, July

My husband is leaving for Brisbane in 3 weeks time and is taking over a suitcase for me. I am only arriving there in May (taking a trip to visit family in Europe). Unfortunately I am only allowed 1 suitcase (British Air), and so my husband is taking one over for me (Singaore, which allow 2) which should tide me over when I get there until our container arrives. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in May, June, and July in Brissie so that I know what to pack i.e. should I be packing sweaters or shorts?
Thanks.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 5:04 pm
Brisbane bound

brendan_34_mids is on a distinguished road

hi goodbyegirl,

the weather in the oz winter around brisbane is about 25 degrees c in the day, sunny and the driest time of the year. most brizzie people regard it as the best time of the year.
It is much cooler at night dropping to about 10-14 degrees, great for sleeping, so you will need warmer clothing at night.

brendan.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:00 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Have to disagree with Brendan just slightly, 25 during winter here wuld be pretty unusual, around 20-21 is far more the norm, occasionally cold days around 17-18 but they arent very common. Most evenings gets into single figures, we do get some cold snaps where the mercury gets down to 1-5 degreesC but for most of the time its just a little bit warmer at around 5-10. So you get cold evenings, but daytime temps are much warmer. As for the rain, hes spot on, its usually very dry during winter here & we usually get hardly any rain at all.

Dagboy always equates the days to a mild english summer, but I think that the nights are a bit colder. Certainly bring some jumpers, although Dagboy has been here 3 years & has only worn anything more than a long sleeved shirt about twice .
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:54 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

This should see you right. Note by Max temp they mean the highest in the day ad min temp means lowest (i.e overnight)

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_040214.shtml
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Winter here probably could be described as perfect weather.

Mild but still warmish days, cool nights great for a log fire, glass of red, and nice enough to sleep properly. Plus the sky is very clear blue gives everything a clean clear look. And not one trace of the humidity of summer. Best bit of the year.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:01 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Weather in Brisbane-May, June, July

Originally posted by The GoodbyeGirl
My husband is leaving for Brisbane in 3 weeks time and is taking over a suitcase for me. I am only arriving there in May (taking a trip to visit family in Europe). Unfortunately I am only allowed 1 suitcase (British Air), and so my husband is taking one over for me (Singaore, which allow 2) which should tide me over when I get there until our container arrives. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in May, June, and July in Brissie so that I know what to pack i.e. should I be packing sweaters or shorts?
Thanks.
It will also depend very much on where you are coming from, and what weather you are used to.

The most I wore last winter was long sleeve shirts, and long trousers, (being a male) but I seem to be more used to colder UK weather still.

You are coming from Canada ? So check what the differences will be to what you are used to.

Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:30 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Thanks.
Totally depends on the person on what they find cold. Days are usually nice and mild, 21/22/23/24/ 25/26 ( low 20's mostly around the 22 mark, but it can get down to below the 20's some days). If you're out under the sun you probably will wear T-shirts in the day, inside a building you will probably feel nippy and need a cardi
Nights - I find are cold, I wear jumpers inside buildings , and have a couple of quilts and blankets on the bed at night with hot water bottles .I also wear coats and jumpers when I'm out in the evening.

It can get down to 7 and even 3 in some places in the night.

If I'm out on the water at night - Then I freeze! I wear a couple of jumpers - two pairs of trousers (wool leggings underneath Jeans) a thick coat and a wool hat and gloves - it's damn cold out on the bay (boat/fishing)in the night - and I still get cold!

I can't tell what you need, as some people on here reckon they never wear a coat in Brisbane, I do especially around water.

So, if I were you I'd pack a cardi, or a jumper and trousers, and also a few t-shirts for the day

Me personally , I don't think I've ever worn shorts here during the winter, but plenty of others around Brisbane do.

cheers
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:34 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Brisbane last July/August and during the day it was in the high teens/low 20's.

During the evening and night I needed a jumper and sometimes a coat (when watching the Lions one night).

So in conclusion when the sun was out it was very pleasant but the temp did drop when the sun went down.

Hope that helps

TT

Thanks.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

ianp will become famous soon enoughianp will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Sorry to be a bit off topic, could aanyone tell me what the weather
is like in the Austalian summer ?

I am going out to the Sunshine coast for a month in August
but am a bit worried it will be unbearable in December..
Very Hot ?

thanks Ian
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by ianp
Hi,

Sorry to be a bit off topic, could aanyone tell me what the weather
is like in the Austalian summer ?

I am going out to the Sunshine coast for a month in August
but am a bit worried it will be unbearable in December..
Very Hot ?

thanks Ian
30C plus every day and 20C plus at night also pretty humid, depends on you wether you can handle that or not. Not my favourite time of year in QLD (Easter to Nov is) but I'm now used to it.