weather

Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default weather

One of the many reasons i want to move to australia is i am sick of the rain we get all the time here in scotland and it can get cold also.
But i found this today and sh..t you guys have your problems also but you dont get any,wish you could get some of ours.
I have known about the water problems in oz,but is it getting worse by the year or just about the same,the world as a whole needs to do something as the weather is going daft all over.
Too much rain,not enough etc

http://www.channel4.com/player/v2/pl...p?showId=10337
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: weather

Originally Posted by brian.w
One of the many reasons i want to move to australia is i am sick of the rain we get all the time here in scotland and it can get cold also.
But i found this today and sh..t you guys have your problems also but you dont get any,wish you could get some of ours.
I have known about the water problems in oz,but is it getting worse by the year or just about the same,the world as a whole needs to do something as the weather is going daft all over.

Hi Brian

We are the same totally fed up of the weather in Scotland, it is a beautiful country but you can only enjoy it when we have great weather (a couple of days a year?!) Monday it was dark until 10am and then was dark at 4pm.....rain during the 6 hours of daylight....how depressing! The rain was so heavy there was virtually no point using an umbrella as it would have been blown inside out! We were in Aberdeen a few weeks ago and OMG it was freezing.......

Debbie
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:46 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Well we've had 30mm of rain overnight in Brissie so the drought is over!

Seriously though, the situation in SE Qld isn't quite as desperate as it was 6 months ago mostly due to an astounding amount of rain that fell in just a couple of days back in August.....really, rain like you wouldn't even get in Glasgow! Anyway, that rain bought us another 5 months to get all the recycled water pipelines, desal plant up and running etc - going forward it's still a big problem though. Apparently the 'experts' are finally confident that the La Nina weather phenomenon is occuring and that's supposed to mean a wet wet wet summer for eastern Australia so here's hoping!

Re the weather in Scotland....I dont think its that bad...I lived on the East Coast and we had a lot of clear, sunny days in Winter, albeit they were a wee bit short! But, the long Summer nights more than compensated for that.....living in the land that daylight savings time forgot I really miss that!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:50 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Apparently the 'experts' are finally confident that the La Nina weather phenomenon is occuring and that's supposed to mean a wet wet wet summer for eastern Australia so here's hoping!
yep - they seem happy that it will last through to April
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-11949,00.html
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well we've had 30mm of rain overnight in Brissie so the drought is over!

Seriously though, the situation in SE Qld isn't quite as desperate as it was 6 months ago mostly due to an astounding amount of rain that fell in just a couple of days back in August.....really, rain like you wouldn't even get in Glasgow! Anyway, that rain bought us another 5 months to get all the recycled water pipelines, desal plant up and running etc - going forward it's still a big problem though. Apparently the 'experts' are finally confident that the La Nina weather phenomenon is occuring and that's supposed to mean a wet wet wet summer for eastern Australia so here's hoping!

Re the weather in Scotland....I dont think its that bad...I lived on the East Coast and we had a lot of clear, sunny days in Winter, albeit they were a wee bit short! But, the long Summer nights more than compensated for that.....living in the land that daylight savings time forgot I really miss that!
It rains more on the west coast than the east coast of Scotland........know what you are saying about the daylight savings as the OH aunt misses that and she has lived in Oz for 30+ years. TBH can not wait to wake up to sunshine 300+ days a year!

Debbie
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:58 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thats actually quite a good news video, however, it really doesnt touch on the plight of farmers.
Albeit in summer Brisbane, gets its nightly rainfall of 5-150mm at times... the majority of this is not accounted to the water levels , especially in SEQ, as most of the wet stuff misses the dams.

Most of my Aussie mates will tell you, the seasons have started to get blurred, and are moulding into one long season, only defined by daily temperature, and not by traditional seasonal change.

The other point, not really shown in the video, well 2 points actually...

1. the sheer magnitude of Australia, showing floods in one area and drought in another , albeit poignant, is a tad pathetic.. its similar to watching a guy ice-fish in iceland, and then a chick nude on the south of france..

2. albeit they showed australias interior, most farming is within the hinterland regions, and about 5 hrs of any of the coasts. The very clear fact is that water is our scarcest resource, and albeit Australia is exceptionally green by comparison to other countries, water has kind of been left off the agenda.. of focus for too long.

Ste
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:08 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissydeb
It rains more on the west coast than the east coast of Scotland
....oh yeah I know, I went to uni in Glasgow...I remember my first winter there...wondered if the rain would ever stop!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

It rains more on the west coast than the east coast of Scotland........know what you are saying about the daylight savings as the OH aunt misses that and she has lived in Oz for 30+ years. TBH can not wait to wake up to sunshine 300+ days a year!

Debbie
your right there debbie,i love the sun and cant wait to be there also,but im sure as time goes on,i will be saying shit wish it would rain,as some of my relatives who are from scotland and now there,did mention it a few times they wanted rain so much,i was saying they was mad.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

your right there debbie,i love the sun and cant wait to be there also,but im sure as time goes on,i will be saying shit wish it would rain,as some of my relatives who are from scotland and now there,did mention it a few times they wanted rain so much,i was saying they was mad.
TBH never want to see rain again like we see it in Glasgow, bring on that VISA....

Debbie
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

TBH never want to see rain again like we see it in Glasgow, bring on that VISA....

Debbie
....fortunately as I think someone else said a lot of the rain here does fall in the evening / after dark (everything in the evening is after dark! :curse: ) so it doesn't ruin your days like it does in Sauciehall Street! Can be quite a beautiful sight too.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:42 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Debbie
Lookin forward to your first Aussie thread..."Didn't realise how hot/humid it really gets"...seriously tho the heat can get a bit much and the rain is sometimes a welcome relief..trying to sleep with fan/air con on full bore aint easy,then if you do drop off, a bloody great thunderstorm will come along and wake you up..or failing that sunrise at 4am or failing that some tosser in a V8 or failing that a bloody dog barking,always summat disturbs ya sleep..sorry goin on abit..whinge over
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:47 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Lookin forward to your first Aussie thread..."Didn't realise how hot/humid it really gets"...seriously tho the heat can get a bit much and the rain is sometimes a welcome relief..trying to sleep with fan/air con on full bore aint easy,then if you do drop off, a bloody great thunderstorm will come along and wake you up..or failing that sunrise at 4am or failing that some tosser in a V8 or failing that a bloody dog barking,always summat disturbs ya sleep..sorry goin on abit..whinge over
....LOL....you forgot crows, kookaburras and other unidentified native wildlife!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

If you are a keen gardener its impossible to have a nice lawn here in SA due to water restrictions you can only water it once a week for up to 3 hours at certain times and days.

so no matter how hard you try its all brown and scorched.

In winter you cant water at all
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellie10990
If you are a keen gardener its impossible to have a nice lawn here in SA due to water restrictions you can only water it once a week for up to 3 hours at certain times and days.

Unless you have water tanks

Mind you, my back garden is all dust, the grass is dead and we water it with the grey water a few times a week (Our grey water is nearly out, so it won't matter anyway )

They really should make recycled water compulsory everywhere. I'd pay extra on the water rates to have it installed. It was great in Mawson Lakes as it was all piped up for recycled so we could water all day every day if we wanted to.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:13 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by ellie10990

3hrs!!!!! With a hose?????

In Brisbane you can't water lawns AT ALL. Only plants in the garden and then with a bucket or watering can (3 times a week).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.