Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We took your advice and are buying more antiques

Wikiposts

We took your advice and are buying more antiques

Old Aug 29th 2003, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default We took your advice and are buying more antiques

I think it was Ceri but I am not sure. Who said buy good antiques here.

I love old art deco style furniture and are lucky enough to live near a dip and strip tinker shop, so pleased with our buy.

Art deco french style sideboard with original velvet for £40

chest of drawers in a gorgeous wood £160

Art deco dressing table with unusal mirror £30

Did a deal and got the lot for £200,

Thank you for giving the advice, as this furniture is so much more well made and I am always checking for dovetail joins in the drawers.

I am off there again today for some bed side cabinets.

Again thanks for the idea and letting us know

C x
Old Aug 29th 2003, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We took your advice and are buying more antiques

Originally posted by Carrianne
I think it was Ceri but I am not sure. Who said buy good antiques here.

I love old art deco style furniture and are lucky enough to live near a dip and strip tinker shop, so pleased with our buy.

Art deco french style sideboard with original velvet for £40

chest of drawers in a gorgeous wood £160

Art deco dressing table with unusal mirror £30

Did a deal and got the lot for £200,

Thank you for giving the advice, as this furniture is so much more well made and I am always checking for dovetail joins in the drawers.

I am off there again today for some bed side cabinets.

Again thanks for the idea and letting us know

C x
Oh Carrianne, tell me they're not dipping and stripping the art deco furniture? That would be a disaster.

I too love art deco stuff - unfortunately not many good or cheap buys around here.

cheers

sashimi
Old Aug 29th 2003, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

No there not, it jsut is a junk shop where they do all the dip and strip stuff. It is a great dark and dingy place. Off there in a minute.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 11:40 pm
Badge

eh??!! I thought Wilf said go to the 2nd hand shops in Aussie!!!

now you have to ship it all!!

badgers

Old Aug 30th 2003, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

No there not, it jsut is a junk shop where they do all the dip and strip stuff. It is a great dark and dingy place. Off there in a minute.

Ooh you lucky person, I love to root around - yeeeees I know - in junk shops, architectural salvage yards the lot.

Have fun

sashimi
Old Aug 30th 2003, 12:40 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

I lived in Sydney for 4 years and used to go to all the auctions in the city. Anything with made in England or old english furniture is a definate seller. I am packing boxes full of buys from car boots and taking them back with me. There is a lot of money to make with that.
Old Aug 30th 2003, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

badgers we are shipping everything anyway, I am buying loads od Scottishy (?) things as well that I know I won't get over there. Whether they have old shops I cannot see them having loads of really old antique furniture that I love.

I also believe, our Adeladian friends tell us, that wedgwood is expensive especially fairly old pieces, so over mine go.

Maybe worth a look luv X
Old Aug 30th 2003, 7:52 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

badgers we are shipping everything anyway, I am buying loads od Scottishy (?) things as well that I know I won't get over there. Whether they have old shops I cannot see them having loads of really old antique furniture that I love.

I also believe, our Adeladian friends tell us, that wedgwood is expensive especially fairly old pieces, so over mine go.

Maybe worth a look luv X
the antique/art market is a bit iffy at the moment ,especially in Adelaide as every one is investing in real estate, but venetian and carnival glass is holding its price, and lladro figurines..... MM
Old Aug 30th 2003, 8:06 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default root around:)

Originally posted by sashimi
Ooh you lucky person, I love to root around - yeeeees I know - in junk shops, architectural salvage yards the lot.

Have fun

sashimi
Hi sashimi...its good to hear that you like a good root around, but dont shout that out when you get to aussie..you will either get dirty looks or a trail of people buying you drinks
johanne
Old Aug 30th 2003, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Maybe worth a look luv X

What about bone china (old country rose etc) I got so much stuff in May when I was there from all over Liverpool,
It has great places to Root (love rooting) and because i'ts "Liverpool" the prices are so cheap, I got Fab table clothes and all sorts of linen's I nearly drove myself crazy when I saw some of the bargains...........
(yes I left clothes behind)...........
Would that not sell in Oz????????????
Old Aug 30th 2003, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: root around:)

Originally posted by johanne
Hi sashimi...its good to hear that you like a good root around, but dont shout that out when you get to aussie..you will either get dirty looks or a trail of people buying you drinks
johanne
Hi Johanne,

thanks for your warning - I know what root means in Oz, that's why I wrote "I love to root around - yeeees I know" - obviously didn't express myself terribly clearly - does root mean the same in NZ as it does in Oz?

sashimi
Old Aug 31st 2003, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

To be honest on the furniture side, I am not concerned about taking it out there to sell I have bought it becasue I love it and hope to keep forever, maybe different for the wedgewood.