Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We survived the visit

We survived the visit

Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:43 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Cool We survived the visit

Earlier this week my parents headed back to UK after spending a bit over a month in Oz. It is the most time I have spent with them since I lived with them, which is quite a number of years ago.

I did wonder if we would get on for that length of time, a few frustrating times but we did. I would highly recommend suggesting to any visitor staying extended periods to do what they did. They stayed with us just over a week, then went away on the Mon returned on the Fri, then went away again the next Mon returning on the Fri to spend over a week with us before travelling back. Whilst it was sad to see them leave, I am also glad to have our own space back, as we are simply not use to having other people around.

With me not working (as bring up toddler & baby) we did a lot of touristy & not so touristy things. It was difficult to do with 2 small children & doing things not involving a lot of walking (My Dad can't walk far & has UK Blue badge, which can be used in NSW with same parking benefits as MPS), but it was good to show off the city we live in and discover some new things.

It was the first time they had meet our son (born last Oct) and our daughter was just a bubs the last they had seen her. Even though they took lots of pic, I intend to get some of the ones we have taken, put them in a photo album, leaving several pages empty to say they can be filled the next time they visit. I really did think that this would be the first & only time my Dad would fly out, so was it a relief that he is intending to set up an Oz account to save up and come again.

(if anyone is interested I can list some of the places we went to)
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We survived the visit

Originally Posted by walaj
Earlier this week my parents headed back to UK after spending a bit over a month in Oz. It is the most time I have spent with them since I lived with them, which is quite a number of years ago.

I did wonder if we would get on for that length of time, a few frustrating times but we did. I would highly recommend suggesting to any visitor staying extended periods to do what they did. They stayed with us just over a week, then went away on the Mon returned on the Fri, then went away again the next Mon returning on the Fri to spend over a week with us before travelling back. Whilst it was sad to see them leave, I am also glad to have our own space back, as we are simply not use to having other people around.

With me not working (as bring up toddler & baby) we did a lot of touristy & not so touristy things. It was difficult to do with 2 small children & doing things not involving a lot of walking (My Dad can't walk far & has UK Blue badge, which can be used in NSW with same parking benefits as MPS), but it was good to show off the city we live in and discover some new things.

It was the first time they had meet our son (born last Oct) and our daughter was just a bubs the last they had seen her. Even though they took lots of pic, I intend to get some of the ones we have taken, put them in a photo album, leaving several pages empty to say they can be filled the next time they visit. I really did think that this would be the first & only time my Dad would fly out, so was it a relief that he is intending to set up an Oz account to save up and come again.

(if anyone is interested I can list some of the places we went to)
Sounds like you had a good time :-)

If you are based in NSW I would be interested - I hopefully have freinds coming over later this year and plan to spend a few days in sydney.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

The photo album sounds a good idea! Glad to hear they're not put off another visit by the long journey - I think that's a worry a lot of people have for their parents visiting.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:17 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Sounds like you had a good time :-)

If you are based in NSW I would be interested - I hopefully have freinds coming over later this year and plan to spend a few days in sydney.
Parked at Milson Point, walked under the bridge, views of the city & Opera Hse & then had lunch at Ripples

Parked at Milson Point (expensive meters without the Blue badge), ferry over to Darling Harbour, lunch from Subways, then to the Chinese Gardens. First time I have been there (cheap at only $6), and wonderful relaxing place that you forget you are in the city (unless you catch a glimse of a high rise building), finishing of with tea & cake there (V yummy cakes). Some people took picnics there.

Parked at Manly (again easy with blue badge), they watched as daughter played on the beach and took in the views. Lunch at lovely cafe (just after pedestrian bit on way to the ferry). Ferry to Circular Quay, walked round to Opera House & coffee at place enroute back to ferry (not great service, but great views).

Did go out to a wildlife place in West Sydney - it was ok but not great.

Went down to watch Boat race for Chinese NY celebrations (was not impressed), went around Paddy Market (good to experience the smells & sight of the frit/veg market), then through China Town watching the 'people' dragon. Went on the momrail - ok but not as good views as I thought there would be.

Went a few times to the playgroup I take my daughter to. Showed them the area we are looking to buy in. Even went to an open house a few hours after they had stepped off the plane!

Bobbin Head, to oggle at the boats (Parents use to have one) and the views, plus coffee and cakes (notice a theme?) at cafe.

To finish their stay off, we could not find a local place to go to, so got the train to Wynyard Station, short walk to Austalia Square up the lift to floor 47 and Summit restaurant for Sunday lunch. It was a great way to see the city the lazy way (revolving restaurant) and put together all the various bits of the city they had seen. Not cheap but then it was a celebration, and although had read mixed reviews we would recommend it. (They were good with our daughter, bring her food out first, even if she did think it was a game to try and escape and run off )

In the end they had walked under the bridge, been driven over it, train over it, viewed from ferries both sides, viewed from Circular Quay, and from the air (well nearly at the restaurant)
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
Parked at Milson Point, walked under the bridge, views of the city & Opera Hse & then had lunch at Ripples

Parked at Milson Point (expensive meters without the Blue badge), ferry over to Darling Harbour, lunch from Subways, then to the Chinese Gardens. First time I have been there (cheap at only $6), and wonderful relaxing place that you forget you are in the city (unless you catch a glimse of a high rise building), finishing of with tea & cake there (V yummy cakes). Some people took picnics there.

Parked at Manly (again easy with blue badge), they watched as daughter played on the beach and took in the views. Lunch at lovely cafe (just after pedestrian bit on way to the ferry). Ferry to Circular Quay, walked round to Opera House & coffee at place enroute back to ferry (not great service, but great views).

Did go out to a wildlife place in West Sydney - it was ok but not great.

Went down to watch Boat race for Chinese NY celebrations (was not impressed), went around Paddy Market (good to experience the smells & sight of the frit/veg market), then through China Town watching the 'people' dragon. Went on the momrail - ok but not as good views as I thought there would be.

Went a few times to the playgroup I take my daughter to. Showed them the area we are looking to buy in. Even went to an open house a few hours after they had stepped off the plane!

Bobbin Head, to oggle at the boats (Parents use to have one) and the views, plus coffee and cakes (notice a theme?) at cafe.

To finish their stay off, we could not find a local place to go to, so got the train to Wynyard Station, short walk to Austalia Square up the lift to floor 47 and Summit restaurant for Sunday lunch. It was a great way to see the city the lazy way (revolving restaurant) and put together all the various bits of the city they had seen. Not cheap but then it was a celebration, and although had read mixed reviews we would recommend it. (They were good with our daughter, bring her food out first, even if she did think it was a game to try and escape and run off )

In the end they had walked under the bridge, been driven over it, train over it, viewed from ferries both sides, viewed from Circular Quay, and from the air (well nearly at the restaurant)

Thanks for that - I will be using my feet and public transport but I have noted some of the places you mention
x