Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

we are in Melbourne

Wikiposts

we are in Melbourne

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: we are in Melbourne

Keep us updated - the good, the bad and the ugly!

My cousin lives in Sunbury (north of Mel. past the airport)
Old Dec 24th 2004, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by melibeam
hi Caz

We are in Mentone a bit further in towards Melbourne but also on the coast. We really like it here too - there are fabulous drives and places to see all along the Mornington Penninsula. Hope we meet up in the new year. Have a great christmas.

mel
Hi Mel

Hope you are having a great xmas and not missing hubby too much. We love driving up the beach road and have passed through Mentone a few times. Love all the playgrounds with views of the sea!!

regards

Caz
Old Dec 24th 2004, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cadman
Keep us updated - the good, the bad and the ugly!

My cousin lives in Sunbury (north of Mel. past the airport)
Hi there,

Merry christmas,

not too much ugly, except perhaps the grafitti, the bad, missing people, but plenty of good, the weather, the new house we have rented with pool and sea glimpses, and the friendliness of the people, to name just a few things.

Caz
Old Dec 24th 2004, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caz41
Hi there,

Merry christmas,

not too much ugly, except perhaps the grafitti, the bad, missing people, but plenty of good, the weather, the new house we have rented with pool and sea glimpses, and the friendliness of the people, to name just a few things.

Caz
Have a brilliant time in Melb'n Caz. Me and Cas with an S will be there in January. Can't wait!
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 7:28 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: we are in Melbourne

Hi

We are family of 4 in process of application for migration to melbourne. early days yet - skills assessment etc etc but would be good to speak to someone who has actually gone through the process etc. We havent a clue where to live, schools, jobs etc so when you have a couple of minutes (!!) we would love to hear about your experiences and any guidance you could throw our way.

All the best

Rooks family
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jacqueline Rooks
Hi

We are family of 4 in process of application for migration to melbourne. early days yet - skills assessment etc etc but would be good to speak to someone who has actually gone through the process etc. We havent a clue where to live, schools, jobs etc so when you have a couple of minutes (!!) we would love to hear about your experiences and any guidance you could throw our way.

All the best

Rooks family
Hi rooks family

we are here on husbands 457, so can't help with visa queries however I am sure if you post on the immigration site lots will be able to help. Any advice on areas etc I will try and help, as we have looked at quite a few, as we only arrived in december.

there are lots of lovely areas, it really depends on your budget and whether you want to be rural or bayside, we chose mount eliza just because it felt right even though it is a long drive back into the centre of Melbourne, it is near the sea, and still green and has a nice small town feel, also schools are good, which with 3 children of 8 11 and 13 was important for us. One thing I would say is that if you do have queries people are only too happy to help you on here, with regards areas etc.

We like Melbourne, it has a nice feel it is very european, tree lined centre lots of street cafes, and it has lots of character. It has been a hard process making the decision to come here, the goodbyes, and the wondering if we have done the right thing, especially for me, husband never had any doubts, and christmas was hard, however we are giving it a good go, and having driven around a few more places over this public holiday weekend, I have begun to realise what a lovley place we are in, and so easy to get from one place to another without all the traffic you would have in england.

Probably the best thing if you can would be to come across on a reccie, however we didn't.

If I can help with anything else reply on here or pm me, no worries.

good luck and keep us posted how you are getting on.

Caz
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caz41
Hi rooks family

we are here on husbands 457, so can't help with visa queries however I am sure if you post on the immigration site lots will be able to help. Any advice on areas etc I will try and help, as we have looked at quite a few, as we only arrived in december.

there are lots of lovely areas, it really depends on your budget and whether you want to be rural or bayside, we chose mount eliza just because it felt right even though it is a long drive back into the centre of Melbourne, it is near the sea, and still green and has a nice small town feel, also schools are good, which with 3 children of 8 11 and 13 was important for us. One thing I would say is that if you do have queries people are only too happy to help you on here, with regards areas etc.

We like Melbourne, it has a nice feel it is very european, tree lined centre lots of street cafes, and it has lots of character. It has been a hard process making the decision to come here, the goodbyes, and the wondering if we have done the right thing, especially for me, husband never had any doubts, and christmas was hard, however we are giving it a good go, and having driven around a few more places over this public holiday weekend, I have begun to realise what a lovley place we are in, and so easy to get from one place to another without all the traffic you would have in england.

Probably the best thing if you can would be to come across on a reccie, however we didn't.

If I can help with anything else reply on here or pm me, no worries.

good luck and keep us posted how you are getting on.

Caz
Caz
good to hear you have found a place to rent. I'll look forward to meeting you at the "meet up" but will be coming down to ME and Mornington before any chance I could meet you ? I'll PM you
Helen
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks - your reply has been really helpful - like you, i am worried about the goodbyes. my parents are in their mid 60's and not getting any younger - will be very hard. like yours, my husband hasnt looked back since decision reached!

like you, i would like yo be by the coast. we have 2 daughters 4 and 9 so i also need to consider schools. it really is a minefield!

I'll be back in touch if thats ok with endless questions!

Regards.

Jacqueline