Credit Cards

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Credit Cards

Hey,

Are there any temporary residents out there who have been successful in obtaining an Australian credit card? What were the criteria you had to meet for it to be approved? Where did you get it from?

Thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 9:27 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Cards

Dagboy got a CC & a home loan without any problems, although he is married to an aussie citizen (me! ). Ours was through the Commonwealth Bank, basically if you can show that you are able to repay the debt & have ties to the country (in our case it was buying a home & him being married to an aussie, but that doesnt necessarily have to be the case) then you shouldnt have too many problems.

Quite a few people have mentioned getting CCs on temp visas without too much hassle.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:08 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
Hey,

Are there any temporary residents out there who have been successful in obtaining an Australian credit card? What were the criteria you had to meet for it to be approved? Where did you get it from?

Thanks
My wife and I are temp., i am being sponsored on a 457.
We got credit cards, bank crads, mortgage and car loan within a week of arriving with NAB.
Biggest help to us was my Australian employer giving the bank manager a call for me.
Hope that helps.

Andrew
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andrew63
My wife and I are temp., i am being sponsored on a 457.
We got credit cards, bank crads, mortgage and car loan within a week of arriving with NAB.
Biggest help to us was my Australian employer giving the bank manager a call for me.
Hope that helps.

Andrew
That's the ticket. If you have decent employment and someone can vouch for it no problem. My partner works for a company which has a serious no-disclosure policy. It took him several failed attempts at getting a loan to find out that the problem lay with the company, not with him. Whenever the bank would call the HR dept the stupid woman there refused to say anything beyond the fact that he was employed with them. Even when he gave her written permission to disclose his income to the bank she would not budge. He finally got a letter, on company letterhead, stating what his income was and that he was employed by them and that solved the problem.

I work for an international company and the bank is constantly trying to get me to get a credit card. I didn't even apply for it, they just sent the damn thing to me & I sent it straight back.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
Hey,

Thanks
I'm on stage one of the spouse visa and I've got an ANZ credit card. I have a bank account with them and we had quite a bit of money in our account which was transferred from UK. I applied online, gave me bank account details and bosch, it arrived within a week or so!

I only had to provide the normal id for the bank account and no questions asked re the credit card.

Good luck!
Stacey