Are we Insane

Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

kate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant future
Default Are we Insane

kate&mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Kate & I were granted our visa (Skilled Independent 136 Plumber) on the 26 June 2006, having started the process in May last year.
Immediately after getting this news we booked the movers to come on the 20th July.
We then booked our flights, which cost £3549 with Emirate Airlines flying to Brisbane. This started off at £2650 when we started the online booking, but because our youngest son is 16months and we wanted him to have his own seat, we couldn't book online, so we had to telephone Emirates and book over the phone, by which time it was £3539, and because we hadnt had our Visas evidanced at the time we couldnt even get the 40Kg baggage allowance.
We then arranged a 6 birth Camper Van (not confirmed yet)so we can travel from Brisbane to Cairns to try and find a place to live.
We are currently living in a rented farmhouse in Cornwall after selling our house in sept last year.
I quit my job in May thinking that we would have our Visa soon afterwards.
We have never been to Australia before so only know what friends have told us and info from the Web, BE etc. Were going for the same reason as most people, lifestyle, weather etc.
We have had nearly 16months to plan ahead but now everything seems to be last minute i.e Bank accounts Money transfers Cleaning all our stuff,etc,etc.
I personally am usually a confidant non worrying type of pearson who knows that everything usually works out in the end, and really you can plan all you like but, in the end, you dont really know anything until you get there and experience it for yourselves. But I am now having serious doubts as to wether we are doing the right thing, just upping sticks and landing in the unknown, with nowhere to live, no job and no relations in Aus to call upon.
I know this feeling will pass, but had to share it with you, and ask if anyone has any thoughts or pearls of wisdom they would like to pass on to us. i pearsonally would be very greatfull.
sorry for babbling but am writing as Im thinking.

yours Mike, Kate, Grace, Isaac & Theo
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:42 am
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we Insane

Originally Posted by kate&mike
kate&mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Kate & I were granted our visa (Skilled Independent 136 Plumber) on the 26 June 2006, having started the process in May last year.
Immediately after getting this news we booked the movers to come on the 20th July.
We then booked our flights, which cost £3549 with Emirate Airlines flying to Brisbane. This started off at £2650 when we started the online booking, but because our youngest son is 16months and we wanted him to have his own seat, we couldn't book online, so we had to telephone Emirates and book over the phone, by which time it was £3539, and because we hadnt had our Visas evidanced at the time we couldnt even get the 40Kg baggage allowance.
We then arranged a 6 birth Camper Van (not confirmed yet)so we can travel from Brisbane to Cairns to try and find a place to live.
We are currently living in a rented farmhouse in Cornwall after selling our house in sept last year.
We have never been to Australia before so only know what friends have told us and info from the Web, BE etc. Were going for the same reason as most people, lifestyle, weather etc.
We have had nearly 16months to plan ahead but now everything seems to be last minute i.e Bank accounts Money transfers Cleaning all our stuff,etc,etc.
I personally am usually a confidant non worrying type of pearson who knows that everything usually works out in the end, and really you can plan all you like but, in the end, you dont really know anything until you get there and experience it for yourselves. But I am now having serious doubts as to wether we are doing the right thing, just upping sticks and landing in the unknown, with nowhere to live, no job and no relations in Aus to call upon.
I know this feeling will pass, but had to share it with you, and ask if anyone has any thoughts or pearls of wisdom they would like to pass on to us. i pearsonally would be very greatfull.

DON'T PANIC !!!!
Im not there yet ..and really only just starting out ...but i read daily on here of people feeling the same way you do..and im sure at some point i will feel exactly the same.
All i can do is say to you what i would probably want to hear...
You made this decision for a reason ..and probably the main reason was a better life for the future of your family....so you have to keep remembering that.
Yes ..when you think about it ..it is nuts ...the cost, the risk ..the upheaval...its a major operation.But you sound deep down like the sort of person who will make it work no matter what.Its a long tunnel....but you'll come out the other side.
Go find youre family their utopia.Good luck
M J
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:43 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you and your family!!

The unknown is what scares most people even with the best laid plans. Most people dont arrive with jobs, have any family here and have nowhere to live. Exactly the same boat!

Your not insane, or if you are your as insane as everyone else here who took the jump
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Are we Insane

Hi there Mike,
I would like to say that everything you have written rings very true, it was exactly how we were feeling 3 months ago just before we made the move to the GC.
No mater how much you plan and are organised, the last minute rush happens,we were the same. It all came together in the end but I did feel rushed, like I hadnt done something, hadnt seen everyone I wanted to see, etc, etc, etc. We had the best nights out with family and friends that we had ever had (which is a shame when the reason is that we were leaving) and did wonder what the hell we were doing.
But we thought I have come this far and we need to give this a go- if all goes wrong we'll be skint but can just go back.
So we set on off and I will never forget that surreal journey on the way to Mancester airport, we were all deadly silent, not excited like I thought we would be, taking in the views... cows, ikea, m & s! But seriously it was a very strange experience, I didnt get emotional, I had kind of shut off.

I just want you to know that what you are going through is totally normal, you have come so far just give it a go, and if doesnt work out that you have had a fantastc experience that not many people will ever get the chance to do.
And we are loving it so far by the way.

Good luck, feel free to pm me,

Donna xx

Last edited by dh1905; Jun 29th 2006 at 11:05 am.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

kate&mike

Hi

Mebe if you hadn't already done all the prep I would say stop and think again etc, but you have done everything except fly over - so at this point I would think you might as well go with it. You don't really have anything to lose. England isn't going anywhere and you can always go back. At worst you get to see Australia.

We are similar in that we are usually in control and manage things - but emigrating takes you out of your comfort zone, so immediately you think I need to get back there! I think you will gain from the experience - I learnt when I moved to England that you need to get out of your comfort zone every now and then. The move back to Oz has been no less stressful - but at least I had an idea about what to expect.

The only thing I said to Bert (who had never been to Oz either) and still do is that we can't expect to move over, fall into great jobs, a wonderful house and a utopia life cause it aint going to happen. Things will go wrong, set backs will occur - if you can accept that and still want to go then go for it!

S
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

kate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant future

Thanks M J

I will try not to panic im sure it will all work out

Good luck in your plans
Mike
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

The Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really nice

Mike,

We too had very similar feelings just before getting on that plane :scared: , even when you are here you may wonder at times if you've done the right thing, but it's great place to live and bring up the family. I'm sure it will all work out for best....Good luck with it all
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

We more or less did them same as you (I'm a plumber too). Just turned most of our assets to cash and set off.
Life's too short to worry about trivial details like where you're going to live, where the kids will go to school, how you'll survive, find work etc.
Yes, you probably are insane to most of the people back home who always play safe and do nowt, but to anyone who's of a similar disposition to yourselves, it's no big deal
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
We more or less did them same as you (I'm a plumber too). Just turned most of our assets to cash and set off.
Life's too short to worry about trivial details like where you're going to live, where the kids will go to school, how you'll survive, find work etc.
Yes, you probably are insane to most of the people back home who always play safe and do nowt, but to anyone who's of a similar disposition to yourselves, it's no big deal
Maybe its plumbers who are insane then! where abouts are you on your world tour?

MIke
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe its plumbers who are insane then! where abouts are you on your world tour?

MIke
Done NZ now on the Sunny coast (very pleasant place to plumb)
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply Donna.
Nice to hear from so many people who have actually done it, and are there loving every minute.

Mike
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
Done NZ now on the Sunny coast (very pleasant place to plumb)
Cant wait to try it for myself (if they will let me) did u have any diffculty geting Licences etc?

Mike
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

kate&mike

Hi

Hi Mike,

I know where you are coming from, we fly next wednesday :scared:

I'm not doubting our move at all, as I know that it's the right thing, but I know what you mean about it all seeming to get out of control. No amount of planning prepares you for the last few weeks when everything seems to happen all at once and you panic because you think you've forgotten something.

But it will all come good in the end I'm sure. Keep smiling and try to keep sane (else just drink lots like I'm doing )
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Cant wait to try it for myself (if they will let me) did u have any diffculty geting Licences etc?

Mike
Yes it's hard, but can be acheived if you have money to live on in the meantime. Endorsements to the licence are also required which take a lot of time to gain as well.
Don't come here to advance your career!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Are we Insane

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hi Mike,

I know where you are coming from, we fly next wednesday :scared:

I'm not doubting our move at all, as I know that it's the right thing, but I know what you mean about it all seeming to get out of control. No amount of planning prepares you for the last few weeks when everything seems to happen all at once and you panic because you think you've forgotten something.

But it will all come good in the end I'm sure. Keep smiling and try to keep sane (else just drink lots like I'm doing )
Thanks WendyC

Im not really doubting the decision, just panicing a bit, its great to read all the positive replies, I think most people who make the move are of the same mindset.
I think I will take your advice and just drink lots
Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.