Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

we are here, at last

we are here, at last

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking we are here, at last

Hi everyone,
Well we are here from Cornwall to Coff's and are now online, arrived in Sydney on 18th March stayed there for a week and bought a car, we then drove to Coff's Harbour (7 hours) rented a fully furnished place for the first 3 weeks and have now moved into a fully furnished place for the next 3 months. The kids started school on 1st April and are getting on well.
I will write more soon any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Sue
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 6:16 am
will be there soon!!!!!

debs&tim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: we are here, at last

Originally posted by sue5665
Hi everyone,
Well we are here from Cornwall to Coff's and are now online, arrived in Sydney on 18th March stayed there for a week and bought a car, we then drove to Coff's Harbour (7 hours) rented a fully furnished place for the first 3 weeks and have now moved into a fully furnished place for the next 3 months. The kids started school on 1st April and are getting on well.

Sue
Hi Sue
Great to hear from you.
Glad everything is okay and you are getting yourselves sorted.
Hope you got my email before you left.
Take care will email you soon for all info on how it is going!!!!
Debs
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sue5665
Hi everyone,

Sue

Hi Sue
Glad everything going ok, great to hear from you.
Good luck with all your plans
Dave and Yve
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:19 am

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue,

Glad to hear things are going well. Just a couple of questions to ask you (for now!!) if you don't mind replying.

Firstly, did you open an Oz bank account before you left. If so, how did you do it. Ie, did your own UK bank help you or did you approach the Oz bank yourself.

Secondly, have you had any problems with renting. Have you been asked for bonds, etc.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Kate
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear you have arrived and things are going well.

Best Wishes for the future.

footie chick
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Glad all is going well. Any advice on what to bring? Have you missed anything ? Does it feel weird being there and do the kids mention England?

Pott
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to hear from you.

How are you finding Coffs Harbour?What are your immediate thoughts love it or hate It?

Keep posting, we need to hear a realistic post from someone who has just arrived.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
glad to hear you are settling in well. How are the kids finding everything? I think that is the main worry about how the kids are going to feel, missing family and friends etc..

Take care

Karen and Andy
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:05 pm
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue,

Sounds like you are settling in well. How are the kids adjusting at school?

What flights did you take? we are woundering where to take a stop over at. Hopefully SARS free.

Good luck with everything, i guess there is still quite a lot to take in.

Clare
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

hi sue, glad to hear you arrived safe and well. good luck to you all.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

sue, nice to hear from you, we were waiting to see you on tv but apparently on next series?
when you bought the car in sydney could you tell us extra costs to be aware of please e.g. taxes etc. and were you able to negotiate and did you buy new?
al and i are doing much the same thing in september - stay with brother in syd for a week, buy vehicle, introduce ourselves to commonwealth bank, collect cards etc then drive up to gold coast over two days - we may even stay in coffs overnight!!!
thanks for info, these questions from us all will keep you busy!!
karen
Old Apr 24th 2003, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully

[QUOTE
Firstly, did you open an Oz bank account before you left. If so, how did you do it. Ie, did your own UK bank help you or did you approach the Oz bank yourself.

Secondly, have you had any problems with renting. Have you been asked for bonds, etc.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Kate,
We opened an account with the Commenwealth bank in London and have had no problems, here is the address:-
Commonwealth bank
Migrant Branch
85 Queen Victoria Street
London
EC 4HA

Tele 0207 7103990

If you phone them they will send you a info pack.

We are not paying any bonds for the place we are renting, we arranged a place over the internet for the first three weeks and then you just go to a realestate agent here to see what they have the area we are in has lots of fully furnished places.
I you rent unfurnished I think you have to put a bond down.

Hope this helps.

Sue
Old Apr 24th 2003, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pott
Hi
Glad all is going well. Any advice on what to bring? Have you missed anything ? Does it feel weird being there and do the kids mention England?

Pott
Hi Pott,
We wished we brought the computer (ours is being shipped over)
The computer shops here our not the same, when you go to a computer shop they have no packages but they tend to make them to order and they come with no software only windows.
Husband is missing the "local pub".
We have 2 boy's 10 & 11 who did not want to come the OZ but they are settling in well the school is great and when we first arrived Uk was talked about every day but this has been getting less frequent.
Hope this helps
Sue
Old Apr 24th 2003, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by tinaj
Great to hear from you.

How are you finding Coffs Harbour?What are your immediate thoughts love it or hate It?

Keep posting, we need to hear a realistic post from someone who has just arrived.
Hi Tina,
We love Coff's it is autumn here now and we are still in shorts and t-shirts.

Sue
Old Apr 24th 2003, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by karen and andy
Hi
glad to hear you are settling in well. How are the kids finding everything? I think that is the main worry about how the kids are going to feel, missing family and friends etc..
Hi Karen & Andy,

We had a few tears as it was our youngest birthday on April 10th and he said with tears streaming down his face "" It's not the same as in England nobody is coming to visit me on my birthday, I've got no friends to invite to my party."'

Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.