Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We are here !!!!

Wikiposts

We are here !!!!

Old May 10th 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all
Talking We are here !!!!

Hi everyone

we arrived in Tasmania on Monday and have been really busy ever since !!

Singapore airlines were fantastic- the flights were half empty so there was plenty of room to sleep.

We had no problems getting the extra baggage allowance at Heathrow but we had a nightmare at Singapore after our 4 days there- they denied any knowledge of extra baggage and said we had to pay plus they said we had 90kgs and we were sure we had 80kgs. Anyway after much discussion with the manager they agreed the 80kgs and we made them weigh the cases again and we did only have 80kgs so they got that wrong aswell- At the time it was very stressful but it all ended Ok at least.

Singapore was a bit of a nightmare as it rained constantly which was a bit annoying but at least it was a break !!

Tasmania ia beautiful and it was so lovely seeing my sister and family. We spent yesterday looking at apartments but havnt found one yet. Hoping we will find that magic place today.
Opening a bank account ( with commonwealth) took 5 minutes- no forms to fill in and they only wanted to see our passport.

HIFX annoyed me a bit- we got a rate of 2.41.5 despite the website saying 2.44- I asked why there was so much difference and they said the rate on the internet is only if we were tranferring millions of dollars- that seems a little ambiguous to me as how many people have that much money to transfer !!!! Also in the Uk they said it only takes a day for the money to be transferred and now suddenely they said 5 days !!!

Anyway don't mean to be a winging pom as everything is going well- Rob has a job interview tomorrow ands hopefully another one at the end of the week- I think I will wait until next week to start looking !!!!!

Nat
Old May 10th 2005, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We are here !!!!

Originally Posted by natty
Hi everyone

Singapore airlines were fantastic- the flights were half empty so there was plenty of room to sleep.

We had no problems getting the extra baggage allowance at Heathrow but we had a nightmare at Singapore after our 4 days there- they denied any knowledge of extra baggage and said we had to pay plus they said we had 90kgs and we were sure we had 80kgs. Anyway after much discussion with the manager they agreed the 80kgs and we made them weigh the cases again and we did only have 80kgs so they got that wrong aswell- At the time it was very stressful but it all ended Ok at least.

Singapore was a bit of a nightmare as it rained constantly which was a bit annoying but at least it was a break !!

Tasmania ia beautiful and it was so lovely seeing my sister and family. We spent yesterday looking at apartments but havnt found one yet. Hoping we will find that magic place today.
Opening a bank account ( with commonwealth) took 5 minutes- no forms to fill in and they only wanted to see our passport.

HIFX annoyed me a bit- we got a rate of 2.41.5 despite the website saying 2.44- I asked why there was so much difference and they said the rate on the internet is only if we were tranferring millions of dollars- that seems a little ambiguous to me as how many people have that much money to transfer !!!! Also in the Uk they said it only takes a day for the money to be transferred and now suddenely they said 5 days !!!

Anyway don't mean to be a winging pom as everything is going well- Rob has a job interview tomorrow ands hopefully another one at the end of the week- I think I will wait until next week to start looking !!!!!

Nat
Hi
Glad you have arrived safely Now the real fun begins

Good luck with the job hunting and house/apartment hunting - hope you find something to your liking.

Try to take some 'time out' every few days - thats how you manage to stay sane after having to 'sort' so many things out after just arriving

Take care and have fun
Old May 10th 2005, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the dark side
Old May 10th 2005, 1:01 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you both made is safely, Nat. There's lots to do at first, but make sure that you take time to let it all sink in, too. Keep us updated! And good luck with the house and job hunts!

GG
Old May 10th 2005, 1:14 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone

Nat

Welcome to Australia.

Strangely enough we had exactly the same experiance with Singapore Airlines, we to stopped over for 5 days and then had same baggage experiance. Apparently if you stop over for more than 24 hrs you technically lose the allowance!!
The manager at Singapore must get this all the time.

Good Luck

Paul J
Old May 17th 2005, 3:12 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Nat
Hi Nat

Just found your thread been to Edinburgh for a long weekend,

So glad everything is going well, hope Rob got the job?

Good luck with finding an apartment where abouts are you looking??

We fancy Sandy Bay but its hard to see what its really like until you there.

Keep us updated

Kay
Old May 17th 2005, 3:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Glad things are going well, you are in favourite place, the loveliest place in the world. I can't wait to be there again.
ENJOY!!!! I'm sooooo jealous!
Whereabouts are you? Hobart, or are you looking at something more rural?
Old May 17th 2005, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nat glad to hear you arrived safely.From what I understand Tasmania is beautiful.
Interesting your comment about HIFX as I had to lodge $100,000 bond money last week and they told me pretty much the same as the rate we were looking at on the internet with XE.com was a lot better but they said it only applies if you have thousands.
I shall have to look into this a bit more before we make the move.
Hope you managed to find your dream home.Best of Luck.
Take Care Dreamaway.
Old May 17th 2005, 5:21 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Welcome to Australia.

Strangely enough we had exactly the same experiance with Singapore Airlines, we to stopped over for 5 days and then had same baggage experiance. Apparently if you stop over for more than 24 hrs you technically lose the allowance!!
The manager at Singapore must get this all the time.

Good Luck

Paul J
Hi Paul - when we booked our tickets with Singapore airlines in Tralifinders we were assured that in the singapore rules they do allow migrant luggage allowance even with a stopover - was the 40kg not printed on your tickets? We have been informed it will be on the tickets when they come. I'm a bit worried now as we are having a 4 night stopover in Singapore!

Lynn
Old May 17th 2005, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Hi everyone

Nat
Glad you had a safe journey, and hopa you fulfill all your dreams.
Old May 17th 2005, 11:50 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Glad things are going well, you are in favourite place, the loveliest place in the world. I can't wait to be there again.
ENJOY!!!! I'm sooooo jealous!
Whereabouts are you? Hobart, or are you looking at something more rural?
Click the link below to see whyTasmania has the most scenic countyside in OZ.

http://www.vision.net.au/~jennings/tas/scots.jpg

Old May 17th 2005, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by aussie73
Click the link below to see whyTasmania has the most scenic countyside in OZ.

http://www.vision.net.au/~jennings/tas/scots.jpg
Ill second that!!

Hope all is well Natty and that you and your chap settle in well. Its such a fantastic island and sadly one that many tourists miss out.

If your sister is in taroona then you can say hi to my partners family for her aswell !!

Keep us informed of how you get on.

Van