Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We don't like it in Sydney.

We don't like it in Sydney.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:12 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We don't like it in Sydney.

this started off as a great thread, its all gone to pot now
stick to the point of the OP guys please
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:13 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Banksia
How much of Sydney - Gosford - Katoomba - Wollongong and everything in between have you actually experienced? There is more than two months' worth there.

Why not check it out while considering your next move given you have left so much behind and can see so little prospect here?
Definitely.

From my experience, having been to Sydney twice in the last year (and moving there permamently this week) there are parts of Sydney I dont like at all, but as a whole, it is where we want to be (to begin our new life). If it doesn't work out for whatever reason (work, culture, city life, cost etc) then we certainly will not be entertaining coming back to the UK as our first option. That will be the last (after a few years trying).

Move on. Look at elsewhere in NSW, it's a beautiful state.

Life is a journey not a destination.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:15 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

so u made it eh?
hope it all turns out better for u than the OP
Originally Posted by <")))><
Definitely.

From my experience, having been to Sydney twice in the last year (and moving there permamently this week) there are parts of Sydney I dont like at all, but as a whole, it is where we want to be (to begin our new life). If it doesn't work out for whatever reason (work, culture, city life, cost etc) then we certainly will not be entertaining coming back to the UK as our first option. That will be the last (after a few years trying).

Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:40 pm
Auspom

Auspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by <")))><
Definitely.

What u said was Spot On...
One of the first things u have to do when moving country is go with a clear mind and stop thing like "Everything is much better back home"or "Don't like so I no going to try it".
That would have to be one of the biggest problems with people.....
I think one of the hardest things is that if only 1 person in the relationship want's to move then the other will go anyway but there mind set is on "I Wanna Go Home" and will not give it a fair go.
As u said if it don't work here will go somewhere else...
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

I only started work 2 weeks ago having been here nearly 2 months and that has really helped me to settle down more, you begin to feel you belong somewhere and have a bit of a purpose. Hopefully once you have started work you may feel abit better.

I've visited Sydney twice and I couldn't live there so maybe somewhere else may suit you. We are in Perth and settling in well, but the homesickness can be awful and I know how you feel as many others on here do.

Have you tried writing a list of pro's and con's for both decisions and see if that will help you.

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience of Australians and their attitudes, I don't think this is generalised at all, we have found people to be friendly and helpful.

Hang in there for a while longer and be kind on yourselves, can family or freind come and visit you soon? Also it is a really difficult time of year to have just moved.

Nicola
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

BrAus is an unknown quantity at this point

I know the feeling. Because of my 1st job offer me and my wife came to Sydney as well.

Fortunatelly, we had the chance to five a stroll around Australia first. We went to Melbourne and Perth. She loved Melbourne, we both liked Perth.

My wife simply hates Sydney since the very first day! Maybe even before setting a foot here... And not finding a job on her field of expertise only made things worse for her.

We then decided moving to Perth, and try once again... With all the cost involved and all...

But 2 months... it's really too soon!

Hope you find a solution! Best luck!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:42 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by james the cat
We have just decided that we are going to go back to the UK. We came out here 2 months ago after spending 2 years getting our permanent residency visa. We both quit good jobs and sold our house to come here, so aren't taking this decision lightly. We have found that despite feeling very positive about coming here, since arriving we have felt very unsettled and just felt generally depressed and like we've made a big mistake. Whilst the scenery and wildlife is amazing (we even hand fed parrakeets on our balcony this afternoon), we just don't feel right here and we are trying to put a round peg in a square hole. We have found a nice flat with views over the harbour, have a nice car, and I have a job to go to next week (which doesn't excite me at all, but it is all I can get).
There is no main reason for us wanting to go - lots of smaller reasons, we miss family and friends and don't know anybody here, we've cancelled flying the dog out, - so miss him too, we've found a lot anti-english sentiment (I was told that I didn't get a job due to my not fitting in culturally), my partner was sat in the back of a class and witnessed a mature student talking with the tutor about how the English 'come over here', and other students were making comments about 'send them all home', without realising there was an english student in the class (there are lots of other examples too - but it doesn't make you feel very welcome.)
We know logically, we should probably give it more of a try and maybe wait until we start work, but we have been constantly down since we've been here, and feel that we have realised that England is a better country for us.
Has anyone else had similar feelings and gone back or felt like going back this soon?

Hi James

We have now been here for 2 years and have been through all the feelings that you describe, although they didn’t kick in until being in Perth for a year. I guess that you just went through your honeymoon period a bit quicker than most.

I remember a discussion we had last year where we both admitted that in the back of our minds we thought that we were coming back to Perth again expecting it to be like a holiday, but it isn’t, of course.

I also quit a fabulous job to come here and haven’t settled since job-wise – I’m now temping after leaving a job where I found the culture “not fitting” i.e. I’m not happy with being bullied or kept in the dark about developments in my job.

My man got depressed for the first time in his life last year for similar reasons in his job, although he has stuck it out and fought for changes and won.

The friends bit is hard as we did know some people already living here, but we now have a separate group of friends (took about a month of hanging around our local). Don’t forget that work can be a great source of new mates and you are about to start a new job.

Your flat sounds wonderful, but I‘m not sure what a nice car is as we’re still driving our wheezy old Lada Niva that we picked up 2 years ago!

I reckon that you should give it a go for a bit longer – say 6 months or a year - perhaps set a timeline and agree to re-evaluate then. I know that it’s hard to look outside the box when you are feeling down, but you may regret not giving it a longer go later on.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:52 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Big thanks to soapy for his expression of interest in the role of my 'special friend'

To the OP - and on further reflection since my original post - some days are better than others and those are the days to think about the future, not those days when everything seems to not be working out how you had hoped. Today, for example, it was good to reflect on how much healthier we are here, I haven't had a cold yet (and I used to suffer badly!), my skin is clearer, and (when I'm not worrying about things) I sleep better. No central heating, more outdoor living, and more fresh veg have all contributed So it's a positive day allround - unlike yesterday when I cried after watching The Office on TV - how can an office in Slough make me homesick
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

james the cat will become famous soon enoughjames the cat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chels
Big thanks to soapy for his expression of interest in the role of my 'special friend'

To the OP - and on further reflection since my original post - some days are better than others and those are the days to think about the future, not those days when everything seems to not be working out how you had hoped. Today, for example, it was good to reflect on how much healthier we are here, I haven't had a cold yet (and I used to suffer badly!), my skin is clearer, and (when I'm not worrying about things) I sleep better. No central heating, more outdoor living, and more fresh veg have all contributed So it's a positive day allround - unlike yesterday when I cried after watching The Office on TV - how can an office in Slough make me homesick
I think we were having a few bad days in a row. Cat has started her job, which isn't great, but should be ok for now - and it's good to get back into a routine. I have an interview this week for working on the boats on sydney harbour, which would make life a lot better if i get it.
We are glad to say we haven't resorted to crying at the office yet, but we have started to find australian comedies funny which is even more worrying.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Nice one-keep your chin up! It will get better..

I think we were having a few bad days in a row. Cat has started her job, which isn't great, but should be ok for now - and it's good to get back into a routine. I have an interview this week for working on the boats on sydney harbour, which would make life a lot better if i get it.
We are glad to say we haven't resorted to crying at the office yet, but we have started to find australian comedies funny which is even more worrying.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

We have just decided that we are going to go back to the UK. We came out here 2 months ago after spending 2 years getting our permanent residency visa. We both quit good jobs and sold our house to come here, so aren't taking this decision lightly. We have found that despite feeling very positive about coming here, since arriving we have felt very unsettled and just felt generally depressed and like we've made a big mistake. Whilst the scenery and wildlife is amazing (we even hand fed parrakeets on our balcony this afternoon), we just don't feel right here and we are trying to put a round peg in a square hole. We have found a nice flat with views over the harbour, have a nice car, and I have a job to go to next week (which doesn't excite me at all, but it is all I can get).
There is no main reason for us wanting to go - lots of smaller reasons, we miss family and friends and don't know anybody here, we've cancelled flying the dog out, - so miss him too, we've found a lot anti-english sentiment (I was told that I didn't get a job due to my not fitting in culturally), my partner was sat in the back of a class and witnessed a mature student talking with the tutor about how the English 'come over here', and other students were making comments about 'send them all home', without realising there was an english student in the class (there are lots of other examples too - but it doesn't make you feel very welcome.)
We know logically, we should probably give it more of a try and maybe wait until we start work, but we have been constantly down since we've been here, and feel that we have realised that England is a better country for us.
Has anyone else had similar feelings and gone back or felt like going back this soon?

Try to remember how long it took you to get your visa in the first place and what motivated you to want to go. Don't give up yet, if you really don't like Sydney why not try somewhere else. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

Good luck to you anyway in whatever you decide.