Reload this Page >

Are We Crazy - Migration to Brisbane ?

Wikiposts

Are We Crazy - Migration to Brisbane ?

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
And Brisbane is actually a big place. Some of us love the water side, others the big space available inland, and others again the city life.

We are all different, and can give a choice of opinions

I personally like the area I am in, (Victoria Point, Redlands) but its too far out from the CBD for others.
Don't wish to be over defensive about our area, but most of us like the area we are in, that's why we live there. Similar to ABC, could not really imagine living inland, as nice as it maybe, but others may tell you different.

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 10:17 pm
Tina Castle

Originally posted by ScuntoBris
Don't wish to be over defensive about our area, but most of us like the area we are in, that's why we live there. Similar to ABC, could not really imagine living inland, as nice as it maybe, but others may tell you different.

I would ideally like to live within 10/15 mins of sea (even closer if poss!) but still only have 30 mins commuting time CBD. You right everyone will say their own suburb is best but i am really stuck. I like the idea of living somewhere relaxed but with facilities and good schools within walking distance. I am into fitness in a big way and will be looking for an excellent gym facility too....

Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:33 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Tina Castle
I would ideally like to live within 10/15 mins of sea (even closer if poss!) but still only have 30 mins commuting time CBD. You right everyone will say their own suburb is best but i am really stuck. I like the idea of living somewhere relaxed but with facilities and good schools within walking distance. I am into fitness in a big way and will be looking for an excellent gym facility too....
Is that 10/15 mins drive to the sea? And what is your definition of the sea? If you are looking for beach, with golden sand & surf, sorry to dash your dreams, but you dont have a hope in hell .

The closest you will get to that description would probably be Wynnum/Manly area, right on the water, 30 mins by train to CBD, around 35 mins by car (assuming no major holdups), but its certainly not "beachside living". Nowhere in Brisbane is - for that you have to go to the Sunshine Coast (or possibly Bribie Island at a pinch) or the Gold Coast. Commute times will be around an hour & a half min from either of those.

And if you have such serious criteria as an excellent gym (how do you tell if its an excellent gym anyway? ) & that is such a defining factor, then you are going to come unstuck relying on anyone elses ideas anyway.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 3:00 am
Tina Castle

Wynnum, now this looks a very nice area! Although I have heard its not cheap, is that the case? I appreciate a lot of brits tend to think Oz is very cheap and thats not the case in a lot of areas now.
I am not too fussed about lots of land, I would like to investigate the possibility of having a new house built - is this popular? (Modern 3 bed?)

I have been told I can t buy too soon on arrival? Yet some people have bought within a couple of months.

Gym wise, I would need close access to a gym facility as I am a gym instructor part time as well as keeping fit for a hobby.

Old Mar 25th 2004, 9:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Wynnum, now this looks a very nice area! Although I have heard its not cheap, is that the case? I appreciate a lot of brits tend to think Oz is very cheap and thats not the case in a lot of areas now.
I am not too fussed about lots of land, I would like to investigate the possibility of having a new house built - is this popular? (Modern 3 bed?)

I have been told I can t buy too soon on arrival? Yet some people have bought within a couple of months.

Gym wise, I would need close access to a gym facility as I am a gym instructor part time as well as keeping fit for a hobby.
Tina, Wynnum/Manly area might suit you then. Areas to look at are wynnum, manly, manly west & wakerley. All are no more than 5 mins drive from the water (or on it). As for house prices it depends on what you classify as cheap . Real estate in the area ranges from units etc & cheaper houses around $350K to multi-million dollar mansions. Lots & lots of new developments & land available around the wakerley/many west area if you are interested in new houses.

I have no clue about gyms in the area, also it depends on your definition of close access as well .
Old Mar 25th 2004, 9:47 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scrawni

Mum said that when she had him last she noticed that he kept looking at them for longs periods of time. When she asked him why he told her it was because he was going to miss them sooo much and he was trying to rememer their faces so that he wouldn't forget them. God, it makes me sad just thinking about it!!

Mandy
Mandy
This brought tears to my eyes just reading it.....BLESS HIM!!!!! That's just the sort of thing my 11 year old lad would do....
Old Mar 26th 2004, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Oh i really feel for you ,my kids are pretty shallow and laid back,the 5 year old will go when they have caught all the crocidiles and the 7 year old just wants a pink bedroom(shes a girl)
i think im more worried about fitting in than them , i think we all worry about not having a friendly face to turn toin times of need.
Donna
Old Mar 26th 2004, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Yeh, he does say things that really get to me. But on a positive side he seems to have come round to the idea and is getting very excited.

He wants to climb sidney bridge (not that we are going there any time soon)!

He has told mum that he is nervous about starting a new school and making new friends but to be honest this is to be expected and as a kid he is pretty likeable character.

I don't think I would worry half a much about the move if I hadn't any children.

Mandy
Old Apr 16th 2004, 5:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi Ya

My hubby and I are about 4 months away from getting PR Visa, and it has been a long and tiring process but now coming to an end. Ok we don't have kids and that must be far more of a head ache for you but it will be worth it!!

The head ache I have is i know i want to move to outskirts of Brisbane but cant seem to get any recommendations of any particular areas??

How have you decided on where to go in Brisbane? Or have you?
Tina
Have you worked out what part of Brisbane you will be going to yet ?

Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:30 pm
Tina Castle

Default Brisbane

ABC Diamond

Hi we have decided to wait and see when we get there, we will be staying with my husbands Aunty and Uncle in Ormeau and will immediatly spend time looking at surburbs aprox 20mins from CDB. I love Arundel although it is too far out so ideally some where like Arundel but closer to Brisbane. I also like Wynnum but it seems expensive!

Tina x

Old Apr 18th 2004, 11:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Brisbane

ABC Diamond

Hi we have decided to wait and see when we get there, we will be staying with my husbands Aunty and Uncle in Ormeau and will immediatly spend time looking at surburbs aprox 20mins from CDB. I love Arundel although it is too far out so ideally some where like Arundel but closer to Brisbane. I also like Wynnum but it seems expensive!

Tina x
Hi Tina

It's good that you have someone to stay with, it makes it easier for you to look around, and get the area that seems "right" for you.

The Bayside has unfortunately become quite expensive, but sometimes, as with everywhere, you can find a gem