Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are we being unrealistic??

Are we being unrealistic??

Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

mollanclan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are we being unrealistic??

Ok, so we're a family of 6, youngest child is 10 months and oldest is 7, and we plan to move 2 years from now. I've had an interview with a nursing agency and have been told to expect around the $50,000 a year for the first few years, my husband is a stay at home dad but runs his own business and we expect him to earn about $10-15,000 working part time before he starts his business.
We're not going on a business visa, it will be a skills one as I'm halfway through my nurse training.
So, annually we would have about $65,000 at the most, we live a very modest lifestyle, our going out is for a walk or to the park. We're not moving to have pots of money but basically for the weather and to be able to spend more time outside so we don't expect a fantastic house, in fact we expect pretty much what we've got here.
So basically, is $65,000 enough to earn to be able to enjoy the kind of life we enjoy now, we've been to Aus 3 times and researched everything, have lots of Aussie friends with lots of advice but reading some of the posts on this site I feel a bit worried now!
Lynn.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: Are we being unrealistic??

Initial thoughts with that size of family it's going to be a stretch.
You don't mention whether you are going to rent or buy and what sort of savings you would have to take to Oz.

Since you've been to Oz you should have a good idea on the price of things so I would say find a tax calculator and work out how much weekly/monthly after tax income you would have.

Then right a list of your current expenditure and find out what the Oz price will be.

Only then will you have an idea if your being realistic.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

If you manage on a similar arrangement now then maybe you can in Australia. The thing I find much more expensive in Australia is accommodation. We spent about 1/8th of our income on accommodation in UK here it is a third. I think you definitely do a similar comparison by looking on www.domain.com.au for rentals as that could make a big difference in your case. I also think you could look into family tax benefit something or other, I don't know much about it as we don't have kids.

I know there is a lot on here about how expensive Australia is and I assume that is what you refer ti. I still think it is swings and roundabouts and we haven't noticed much difference (other than accommodation).

As for coming for the weather, well the UK has far more temperate weather, Australia is a country of extremes.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

We're going to be renting and have upwards of £10,000 savings, we don't own a house over here and we will have the prospect of my husbands business once we've got all the paperwork sorted out over there so it would only be for a few years until it's all set up.

It calculates out to £40,000 which is a huge amount of money considering now with my bursary and my hubby's business we are about £32,000 a year.

I just am a bit worried about after reading on here about all the stories of cost of living etc. Have done loads of research, spreadsheet after spreadsheet of figures, but with all the stuff on here I'm worried that I'm wrong!

Lynn.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Your first mistake is assuming 65k is equivalent to £40k. It is nothing like it, you cannot convert at the current historically low exchange rate, if you did then you really would find everything exceptionally expensive. To get a ball park, you need to divide by about 2.2 to 2.4 so that income is equivalent to perhaps £28k and hence a drop to what you have now.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

if you guys have been living on a bursary then you wont find it hard adapting .... Very much depends on where you plan to live... Accommodation will be a biggee... And cost of car here will eat into that 10k...And set up costs... starting pay for a Grad (NQ) will be poor but they havent factored in your u social enhancements... Which are something like 35% extra for nights 50 for sats 75% sundays... And if you work in the public sector other than casual you will be able to salasry sacrifice upto300$ per fortnight which is paid into your account pre tax, lowering your tax liability and increasing the buck in your pocket....

That 10k will have to cover bonds on rentals and the like... And rentals are a whole other story here...

You have to pay for more here... State schools dont have fees but they do have booklists and equipment lists and contributions...

You CAN do it... Because you know hownto do it... But you would have to look at less costly areas to live, not having much costs involved in traveling to work... And living frugally...

We came here to give our kids a betterlife and wish WE had come when they were the age yours are... Even if we had struggled then...
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on where you will be going to. If you are planning to go to any of the big cities you will continue to live a very modest life. Your dollar will go further if you are out in the mulga a bit more. I dont think I would like to be doing it without a nice financial security buffer. The L10k you bring over wont take you nearly as far as you think it will what with bonds, advance rentals, cars, insurances, communications etc
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eddie007
if you guys have been living on a bursary then you wont find it hard adapting .... Very much depends on where you plan to live... Accommodation will be a biggee... And cost of car here will eat into that 10k...And set up costs... starting pay for a Grad (NQ) will be poor but they havent factored in your u social enhancements... Which are something like 35% extra for nights 50 for sats 75% sundays... And if you work in the public sector other than casual you will be able to salasry sacrifice upto300$ per fortnight which is paid into your account pre tax, lowering your tax liability and increasing the buck in your pocket....

That 10k will have to cover bonds on rentals and the like... And rentals are a whole other story here...

You have to pay for more here... State schools dont have fees but they do have booklists and equipment lists and contributions...

You CAN do it... Because you know hownto do it... But you would have to look at less costly areas to live, not having much costs involved in traveling to work... And living frugally...

We came here to give our kids a betterlife and wish WE had come when they were the age yours are... Even if we had struggled then...
Thank you!! You've allayed my fears, it will be a struggle, we're very unlike the people on wanted down under who want to live the millionaires lifestyle on a $20,000 wage, we've got loads of family and friends out there too, more than in the UK to be honest. We tried to move out 10 years ago but then I fell pregnant with our first and we decided to stay put until we'd finished our family and then I decided to qualify as a nurse which has meant we've a far better chance of a visa and a chance at a quality of life, going to the beach, the parks etc etc, it will be a struggle but you enjoy it more when it is, you're talking to the people who fed a family of 3 on £30.00 a week, now our budget is £100.00 a week and you should see what we get!! Anyway, I digress lol!

We plan on going to Queensland but not Brisbane but somewhere round there, we have friends and family in Twoomba which is a lovely town and would like to be near there and that's not too expensive.

Thanks for being positive, we are under no illusions but I know that it will be worth it in the end and if not then there's always sunny scotland!!
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Worst case scenario is it isn't doable, but you'll never know unless you try.

Bare in mind your flights for 6 people are really going too eat into your savings unless they're being paid for but if your going on a 175 visa you'll need to allow for this.
If it doesn't work out then you need a contingency plan to get back to the Uk.
The 175 skills visa isn't cheap have you allowed for that cost?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Worst case scenario is it isn't doable, but you'll never know unless you try.

Bare in mind your flights for 6 people are really going too eat into your savings unless they're being paid for but if your going on a 175 visa you'll need to allow for this.
If it doesn't work out then you need a contingency plan to get back to the Uk.
The 175 skills visa isn't cheap have you allowed for that cost?
Yes, visa and flight costs are already taken care of.

Thanks for this, it's given me a real insight, just chatting to hubby now and even if we have to wait a year until after I qualify and then go out we will have substantially more savings behind us if I work all the hours here which is doable.

Thanks again,
Lynn.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mollanclan
Yes, visa and flight costs are already taken care of.

Thanks for this, it's given me a real insight, just chatting to hubby now and even if we have to wait a year until after I qualify and then go out we will have substantially more savings behind us if I work all the hours here which is doable.

Thanks again,
Lynn.
Well they do say the Ozzies work to live and Brits live to work and there is probably some truth in that statement.

Life is what you make of it and unfortunately mine sucks at the moment but that will change.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Well they do say the Ozzies work to live and Brits live to work
Another myth
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
Another myth
Myth's are what legends are made of.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty on here (Toowoomba residents included) who would debate the 'better weather' comment but that's by the by.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are on a temp visa, you will need to pay for state schooling for your kids in some states - that's an immediate cost you may not have planned for. Other things like you will need a 7-seater vehicle; that will cost more.

At least if you are working as a nurse you will be able to pick up some unsociable hours which will boost your income. The cost of living here though is very high now so expect it to be very tight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.