Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are we being ripped off

Are we being ripped off

Old Dec 14th 2006, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we being ripped off

Out of interest, would those of you who have used agents for your visas do the same thing again or would you try and go it alone?
Luckily for us our visa was quite straightforward and we did it ourselves no probs - so what do you think? Is it really worth it to pay thousands of pounds to an agent?
Old Dec 14th 2006, 4:13 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Out of interest, would those of you who have used agents for your visas do the same thing again or would you try and go it alone?
Luckily for us our visa was quite straightforward and we did it ourselves no probs - so what do you think? Is it really worth it to pay thousands of pounds to an agent?
As per my reply above: we DID NOT "pay thousands" to our agent! We paid a total of £940 in agent's fees for the skills assessment and the visa. And yes, I still think it was worth it. And yes, if I had to do it again I would .- In fact, before we move next year, I shall engage the services of the same agent to give us financial advice.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of unscrupulous agents out there and they do rip off their clients - which has given the industry a bad name. However, this does not detract from the fact that a good agent is well worth it.

Also, at the outset, you don't know if your situation is straightforward.

Gina
Old Dec 14th 2006, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
As per my reply above: we DID NOT "pay thousands" to our agent! We paid a total of £940 in agent's fees for the skills assessment and the visa. And yes, I still think it was worth it. And yes, if I had to do it again I would .- In fact, before we move next year, I shall engage the services of the same agent to give us financial advice.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of unscrupulous agents out there and they do rip off their clients - which has given the industry a bad name. However, this does not detract from the fact that a good agent is well worth it.

Gina
That's good! I'm not criticising anyone for using an agent, it was a genuine question. Personally, we did know that ours was quite straightforward, but as I said we were very lucky in this respect and I know that lots of others are not in the same boat.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 4:52 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK

Gina
Yes...I agree with this...I think one of my posts was miSunderstood by the OP.

We paid £3000 in total - it was very clear cut (in fact it we had known how easy it was, we might have gone it alone, given that I do loads of permits etc for the UK)! We paid one fee of £1200, it would have been around £1500 if we have paid by installment method. We paid around £300 for VETASSESS and around £900 for lodgement, we then paid around £450 for medicals and £20 etc for police checks and £100 for a South African courier service for a SA police check= totally in all around £3000.

We went with our agency as all costs were presents to us before we signed a contract with them. I liked the fact that they detailed their costs and then additional vetassess etc costs...and also timetabled when these costs were likely to be incurred. We felt fully informed.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by busterboy
Yes...I agree with this...I think one of my posts was miSunderstood by the OP.

We paid £3000 in total - it was very clear cut (in fact it we had known how easy it was, we might have gone it alone, given that I do loads of permits etc for the UK)! We paid one fee of £1200, it would have been around £1500 if we have paid by installment method. We paid around £300 for VETASSESS and around £900 for lodgement, we then paid around £450 for medicals and £20 etc for police checks and £100 for a South African courier service for a SA police check= totally in all around £3000.

We went with our agency as all costs were presents to us before we signed a contract with them. I liked the fact that they detailed their costs and then additional vetassess etc costs...and also timetabled when these costs were likely to be incurred. We felt fully informed.
I say - name and shame them! It might stop others from being ripped off.At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!!!!!
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:42 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick11
I say - name and shame them! It might stop others from being ripped off.At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!!!!!
We only paid £1200 to our agent..I was quite happy with that (am I typing something else here because no-one seems to be getting me.....my point was £6000 for the OP was excessive)....lots of people pay around £3000 for the whole process.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
We only paid £1200 to our agent..I was quite happy with that (am I typing something else here because no-one seems to be getting me.....my point was £6000 for the OP was excessive)....lots of people pay around £3000 for the whole process.
Even taking into account 2 visa applications (if you had already submitted) that would only add another 800 ish to the cost. If you are in the final stages I would suggest contacting DIMI and asking them to correspond directly with you and sod them or sod them anyway. Dont pay. Offer to pay all government fees and maybe £1000 on top as this is an average fee, then let them take you to court if they dont accept. They would have to justify there costs to a judge then.
Jo
Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:03 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm confused as to why you would have to pay them to research your type of visa. Isn't that their job to know this stuff??
Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:17 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

6000 GBP - Thats simply an outrage. But its pretty much buyer beware as like any other service, costs differ. At the risk of sounding a bit harsh not to get a couple of quotes before engaging an agent sounds just a little foolish.

Sure service levels can vary but I'm certain that the agents who kindly post advice on this forum dont charge that and have a fabulous reputation.

We used ISA and the total cost came to 2,500 inclusive of everything. They did everything for us bar signing the forms and our case was complicated - own company, disolved previous employers and all the rest of it.

Were I to do it all again though I would do it myself. The forms are all there to download and send off and the information of this site far outweighs anything offered by an agent I would say. But then hindsight is a wonderful thing and each case has its own merits and complications I guess.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

We also paid about 3 grand and would do so again. Our TRA was complicated and I am certain that, had we gone on our own, we would have failed. We certainly would not have been as detailed as the agent made us.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jon&kate
We are using an agent for our move and the bill is at over £6000 thats excliuding the costs for my TRA and the cost of our visa.We have been accepted for stni by canberra and are just putting together what i hope will be our last major paper work for DIMIA.During our application we have had to change visa type as my wifes brother let us down (he was going to sponsor us)This didnt cause to much upheavall with our application as we suggeted to our agent going down the stni route.Bearing in mind my tra was done before being let down.We get a bill every month with a breakdown of work done.We have been charged for reseaerch into stni visa (surely an agent know's about the different visa's on offer.I can understand that paperwork had been done for a 138 visa as this was our original route but this bill only came to £750.The agent we are using is a very famous one and not some backstreet job.I n the e-mail it says a bill for £1600 is in the post but since last month we have been putting together our paperwork for DIMIA i:e birth a marriage documents updated letters from work etc and although i have contacted agent by e-mail i fail to see how they come up with theses costs.I have just sent an e-mail to the accounts department expresing my disgust at the costs.
ours was also around the £3000 to £3500 for everything ??? £6000 is alot of money
Old Dec 15th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Are we being ripped off

Originally Posted by mad.chef
ours was also around the £3000 to £3500 for everything ??? £6000 is alot of money
We have done all now and just waiting for visa grant. We have paid a lot more than the seemingly average 3000.00 - infact nearer 6000.00 in total. If they do the job great, but ours, despite chasing etc, don't ever pay us courtesy calls to let us know what is going on. I have learnt far more through this forum than from my agent. The customer service has been shocking. Trouble is, as you don't do this too often, it's all as bit hit and miss. Wish I had found this forum earlier. I am not knocking agents, I would hate to go through this process on my own - too difficult, but I do expect value for my money, I guess we just picked the wrong agents? Plenty of people on here have reccommende the same agents time after time after time!! Mind you once I get that visa, it will all pale in to insignificance and I'm sure that I will say that it was worth every penny!
Bexie (and breathe!)
Old Dec 15th 2006, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bexie
We have done all now and just waiting for visa grant. We have paid a lot more than the seemingly average 3000.00 - infact nearer 6000.00 in total. If they do the job great, but ours, despite chasing etc, don't ever pay us courtesy calls to let us know what is going on. I have learnt far more through this forum than from my agent. The customer service has been shocking. Trouble is, as you don't do this too often, it's all as bit hit and miss. Wish I had found this forum earlier. I am not knocking agents, I would hate to go through this process on my own - too difficult, but I do expect value for my money, I guess we just picked the wrong agents? Plenty of people on here have reccommende the same agents time after time after time!! Mind you once I get that visa, it will all pale in to insignificance and I'm sure that I will say that it was worth every penny!
Bexie (and breathe!)
Our agents Fees came to £3495. And this did not include fees for TRA, DIMA, Medicals, PC etc so looks like we paid way too much also, never the less our agents have been great and have been on the ball about everything. So even though the fees seem to be double what everyone else seems to have paid we are very happy, skint, but happy.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Jon & Kate,

Are you being ripped off? YES YOU ARE. We all know who you are talking about and I know they monitor this site for comments. I only hope MARA come down hard on them soon as they must have quite a large dossier on them now. They act in a disgraceful manner and will try anything to make money out of you.
Anyone considering using an agent, get one that uses a fixed rate.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud of
Unhappy Re: Are we being ripped off

I would say so !! Is it £6000 pounds or dollars or is that a daft question? Ours is £3500 with everything

Amanda x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.