British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Water shortage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/water-shortage-453775/)

Vicky88 May 28th 2007 5:22 pm

Re: Water shortage

http://www.hotspotting.com.au/index....e&productId=96

The above link goes into details about what areas have a good water system and those that are lacking. It's a good balanced article written by a real estate guru.

moneypenny20 May 28th 2007 10:21 pm

We're due to go to Level 6 later in the year and they are fairly sure we will be at level 7 by the end of the year but they still haven't worked out what that will entail.

themerlin May 28th 2007 10:24 pm

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/

Well it looks like there is a very good chance it will break this year.
In 6 months time we might be under flood water and people will be moaning about the rain :rofl:

Smilz May 29th 2007 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Vicky88 (Post 4842535)
http://www.hotspotting.com.au/index....e&productId=96

The above link goes into details about what areas have a good water system and those that are lacking. It's a good balanced article written by a real estate guru.

In 6 months time we might be under flood water and people will be moaning about the rain

good to see factual info I hope it does break and there is a topping up of supplies, but I do think that maybe when (if) this shortage sorts itself out that the people responsible for putting into place systems and resources to ensure that the next time there is low rainfall that they will have planned ahead and it will present little or no problems cause I might just be there!!

Nerine May 29th 2007 1:42 am

Honestly don't let the water restrictions put you off one little bit unless you intend taking up farming in the M/D basin.

Australia is awash with financial resources & is going to pour (excuse the puns) billions of dollars into sorting out this problem, de-salination being one option. None of these water restrictions are anything like as dire as those which we used to see in Britain back in the 70s and 80s....anyone remember families filling water containers from standpipes in the streets?

It makes me laugh when you see some government minister doing a TV interview about water restrictions whilst standing in front of a water fountain going at full bore!

DagBoy May 29th 2007 1:50 am

Originally Posted by shiels (Post 4841703)
What is the highest level of water restriction and what will happen when and if you get to this level?? C x

Level 7 - drinking your own urine

Level 8 - drinking someone else's urine

Level 9 - drinking VB :rofl:

Cheers,

DagBoy

matt-and-jenny May 29th 2007 2:05 am

I've heard a rumour that someone somewhere is predicting deluges for Brisbane in 10 days time, of up to 200mm. Is this an urban myth?
J

themerlin May 29th 2007 2:12 am

I'm going to pray for rain :ohmy:

Originally Posted by DagBoy (Post 4844158)

themerlin May 29th 2007 2:14 am

I'm sure someone is, but I'm sure someone somewhere is predicting the end of the world in 10 days as well.

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny (Post 4844192)
I've heard a rumour that someone somewhere is predicting deluges for Brisbane in 10 days time, of up to 200mm. Is this an urban myth?
J

Plug May 29th 2007 2:31 am

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny (Post 4844192)
J

Seems to be a fair bit of rain around Brissy the last few days, there are some rain clouds rolling in at the moment as I look out the office, maybe a sign of things to come.....or maybe not. I'm stock piling Stella Artois just in case.

jayr May 29th 2007 7:15 am

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter (Post 4842057)
We live north of Brisbane currently under level 5. I personally think it is a temporary blip that may last a few years but am not unduly worried for the long term.

Unfortunatley the "temporary blip" means we may actually run out of drinking water by summer 2008. If it lasts a "few years" then we definitely will

JaneandJim May 29th 2007 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Smilz (Post 4844105)

In 6 months time we might be under flood water and people will be moaning about the rain

good to see factual info I hope it does break and there is a topping up of supplies, but I do think that maybe when (if) this shortage sorts itself out that the people responsible for putting into place systems and resources to ensure that the next time there is low rainfall that they will have planned ahead and it will present little or no problems cause I might just be there!!

If it does break in the next few months, then the professor at the University of New England who predicted it after tying up solar activity with rainfall patterns will appear to have been proved right. However, he also predicts that there will be an even worse drought in 20 years time so lets hope that the powers that be will keep going with the water infrastructure.

Also, although the Brisbane dams are 18% full, North Pine was taken offline before it got down to 10% to preserve the integrity of the remaining water. So this means we've actually only got 8% capacity left. That's a frightening figure. We've also now been told that electricity prices are about to rise 75%and water prices are rising because we're using less so the water companies are making less money.

Unless it rains soon, the short-term outlook is pretty bleak here, and so to the original OP, I think you've made the right choice in not coming to Brisbane just yet.

Jane :(

rossifumi May 29th 2007 9:10 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke (Post 4840878)
Seeing that most of the rest of the country is on similar or worse water restirctions, it kinds of limits your choice, doesn't it

Coffs Harbour...Level One. :)

Loads of water, but **** all else! :D

rossifumi May 29th 2007 9:13 am

Originally Posted by DagBoy (Post 4844158)
Level 7 - drinking your own urine

Level 8 - drinking someone else's urine

Cheers,

DagBoy

Level 7 & 8...Golden Showers...oh goodie! :)

jad n rich May 29th 2007 9:23 am

Originally Posted by JaneandJim (Post 4844995)

Also, although the Brisbane dams are 18% full, North Pine was taken offline before it got down to 10% to preserve the integrity of the remaining water. So this means we've actually only got 8% capacity left. That's a frightening figure. We've also now been told that electricity prices are about to rise 75%and water prices are rising because we're using less so the water companies are making less money.

Unless it rains soon, the short-term outlook is pretty bleak here, and so to the original OP, I think you've made the right choice in not coming to Brisbane just yet.

Jane :(

Scary part is we are going into winter - the dry season. It was about 3/4 years ago winter in bris had no rain for 5 months, you only had to go 20 mins inland to see a dustbowl, as much as I''d like believe were going to get a heap of rain, I'm not terribly convinced given the clear sunny dry winters brisbane usually has. Finger crossed tho:blink: