Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Water Fluoridation discussion.

Water Fluoridation discussion.

Old Nov 28th 2008, 9:33 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Post Water Fluoridation discussion.

Playing devils advocate here:

With Fluoridaton being sold to us as a good thing, has anyone ever doubted this?

Environmental Protection Agency's 9min's
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...20792574&hl=en

Nice discussion:
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...81016035&hl=en

I have mentioned this topic before, but nested inside other thread. I thought it would be good to have an open discussion on this topic.

Personally I'm concerned about baby milk formula, and unnaturally high fluoride dosage. Am I on my own?

Old Nov 28th 2008, 9:37 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Water Fluoridation discussion.

Kerry was given extra fluoride as a child (on her teeth) The doctors believe this is what caused her throid to stop working at such an early age.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 9:42 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

who - what - what age ??

Our dentist is reccomending an extra flouride treatment on my kids' teeth as they both have needed fillings more than once - even in milk teeth.

He says they have little and weak tooth enamel and this treatment will help to strengthen it and remineralise it or whatever. I should add that there is no added flouride in Italian tap water. Don't know if this is because most Italians buy bottled water and fizzy water.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 10:03 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
who - what - what age ??

Our dentist is reccomending an extra flouride treatment on my kids' teeth as they both have needed fillings more than once - even in milk teeth.
Its was from around her 9th birthday the fluoride treatment started for about 2 years, Docs think her Thyroid started playing up from 11-12 years old, but wasnt diagnosed until she was 19 and on deaths door.

Her parents really regret having the treatment. Kerry would much rather have false teeth than a thyroid problem......

It sounds like you are anyway, but please do your homework before making a decision. Good luck.

Mark and Kerry
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:25 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Its was from around her 9th birthday the fluoride treatment started for about 2 years, Docs think her Thyroid started playing up from 11-12 years old, but wasnt diagnosed until she was 19 and on deaths door.

Her parents really regret having the treatment. Kerry would much rather have false teeth than a thyroid problem......

It sounds like you are anyway, but please do your homework before making a decision. Good luck.

Mark and Kerry
Thanks.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Our water in Melbourne has been fluoridated for a long long time and the benefits in dental health seem to outstrip the negatives. I take the approach that people do not seem to worry about diesel and if you have a look at the damage diesel does to us then there is no comparison.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:54 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have time for a long discussion now, and I think I've posted this before in a similar discussion, but here's a picture of my friend's teeth, as a result of too much fluoride as a child. (Courtesy of our dentist's website!) It's called fluorosis.

I'm still in two minds about fluoride but, as a fellow thyroid sufferer, I would rather the decision to subject my body to it was my own decision. I use non-fluoride toothpaste - when I can find it - and once I am able to I will be filtering it out of my drinking water.
Attached Thumbnails Water Fluoridation discussion.-fluorosis.jpg  
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Flouride is not good on the Thyroid and i would certainly like to have mine working properly.The thyroid is the gateway to our health as it controls so mant things.Its not just a "goood for the teeth" issue it is much wider than that.
donna
Old Nov 29th 2008, 4:46 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
Playing devils advocate here:

With Fluoridaton being sold to us as a good thing, has anyone ever doubted this?

Environmental Protection Agency's 9min's
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...20792574&hl=en

Nice discussion:
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...81016035&hl=en

I have mentioned this topic before, but nested inside other thread. I thought it would be good to have an open discussion on this topic.

Personally I'm concerned about baby milk formula, and unnaturally high fluoride dosage. Am I on my own?

I never drink tap water due to all the chemicals in it. Fill a glass of water and take it to bed with you and try drinking it at 3:00am it tastes like mouth wash or TCP.

We have been away for a week and when we turned on he hoses to water that garden the smell of chemicals from the water that had been sitting in the hoses was disgusting.

So floride or no floride I still won't drink tap water.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 4:50 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Our tap water is obviously full of chemicals - smells/tastes of chlorine and is very milky. Never totally clears no matter how long it stands. I put it through a filter jug but it doesn't unfortunately filter out fluoride.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

WE have lived mostly in places where there is already fluoridation, but when we went rural for a few years we noticed the difference in smell in town supply.

On a positive note the only one of my kids to have any fillings at all is my oldest who lived his first few years in the unfluoridated place. The others aged 15, 12 and 10 have no fillings at all. Every now and then they have had fluoride painted on as an extra strengthening on their once a year check up. None have any health problems or funny looking teeth.

Is it good or bad? I don't know. But if the levels are kept within an acceptable limit I don't see a problem unless you develop a health problem. I hadn't heard of any link between fluoridation and thyroid problems but I would be pretty upset if a course of treatment caused this. I doubt a single treatment would, but it would be interesting to see if the incidence of thyroid problems is any higher in areas with fluoridation.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 5:14 am
mmmmmm duff

Fluoride's potential to impair thyroid function is perhaps best illustrated by the fact that -- up until the 1970s -- European doctors used fluoride as a thyroid-suppressing medication for patients with HYPER-thyroidism (over-active thyroid). Fluoride was utilized because it was found to be effective at reducing the activity of the thyroid gland - even at doses as low as 2 mg/day.
Thats fine if you have an overactive thyroid, but it stands to reason that too much fluoride will knacker a normal or under active throid....

Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I never had any fillings until I moved to Qld....last trip to the dentist I needed 5! Could be lack of fluoride....could be my just getting older....dunno.

It's often said as well that children in Qld have the worst dental health in Australia. Again could be lack of fluoridation, or it could be social factors.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ray2gill
I never drink tap water due to all the chemicals in it. Fill a glass of water and take it to bed with you and try drinking it at 3:00am it tastes like mouth wash or TCP.
I do that every night, and it tastes the same, or actually better than straight from the tap.
But then we don't have flouride in our water.

My daughter had to have about 5 fillings at age 3 or 4. She had only lived in UK and Sydney up to that point, both of which did flouride in the water.
Could be too much fluoridation , or it could be social factors

Since moving to QLD, and no flouride, she has had fewer problems with tooth decay.

I don't have a clue.

Old Nov 29th 2008, 8:15 am
mmmmmm duff

On a positive note the only one of my kids to have any fillings at all is my oldest who lived his first few years in the unfluoridated place. The others aged 15, 12 and 10 have no fillings at all. Every now and then they have had fluoride painted on as an extra strengthening on their once a year check up. None have any health problems or funny looking teeth.

Is it good or bad? I don't know. But if the levels are kept within an acceptable limit I don't see a problem unless you develop a health problem. I hadn't heard of any link between fluoridation and thyroid problems but I would be pretty upset if a course of treatment caused this. I doubt a single treatment would, but it would be interesting to see if the incidence of thyroid problems is any higher in areas with fluoridation.
I just want to say i did not have just one fluoride treatment i had a few and to be honest it made no difference to the strength of my teeth.
My parents regret ever letting the dentist give me the extra treatments and my mum says she feels so guilty this was the reason(according to my GP) i became so ill.
Where we lived in the UK there is fluoride in the water and the GP i worked for there believes there has been a rise in the number of younger people with thyroid problems due to this being in the water.

Last edited by MarkMC; Nov 29th 2008 at 8:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.