water..

Old Nov 8th 2004, 3:12 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Default water..

interesting reading for those not aware of how life can be with little water in Australian towns.....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/3992231.stm
Old Nov 8th 2004, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: water..

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
interesting reading for those not aware of how life can be with little water in Australian towns.....
Interesting reading indeed, my partner has told me about the growing water crisis - makes the annual "hosepipe bans" in the UK look like pretty small beer ...
Old Nov 8th 2004, 3:49 pm
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Water shortage is a serious issue in Australia I guess. Does this also mean that water is getting more and more expensive?
Old Nov 8th 2004, 3:55 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sander
Water shortage is a serious issue in Australia I guess. Does this also mean that water is getting more and more expensive?
When I was over in Australia a few weeks ago there was also a prediction that many houses may develop structural problems as the ground below them dried out. It is indeed very worrying.

G
Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I'm impressed, somebody in the UK talking about an aussie issue, good one.

Everyone take a good look at the guys skin in the first photo. Some clues to the aussie climate in that photo too.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
When I was over in Australia a few weeks ago there was also a prediction that many houses may develop structural problems as the ground below them dried out. It is indeed very worrying.

G

Yep up to 25% in some areas, land can go from months/years of drought to flood levels in hours, takes its toll, the reason its going to be so bad this time, is some of the areas that got drought were not just country areas but built up areas full of cheaply constructed project homes.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

A Vic state govt report from last year estimated that Melbourne's water would run out by 2012. What happens then, I've no idea. Melbourne's water storages are currently at about 58% (on the back-end of winter). In recent summers, supplies have dipped to around 40%.

On the one hand, water shortages are a serious issue, and on the other, the govt continues to support industries such as logging in catchment areas, which drastically reduces water catchment.

And altho I'm sure that the majority of people appreciate what a serious issue there is, there are still so many who flout the water restrictions that are in place - washing cars, watering lawns, etc, during exempt hours.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Does this mean there will be a beer crisis too or is this unrelated?
Old Nov 8th 2004, 8:28 pm
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw

And altho I'm sure that the majority of people appreciate what a serious issue there is, there are still so many who flout the water restrictions that are in place - washing cars, watering lawns, etc, during exempt hours.

A while ago the temps were in the 30's here in Melbourne. My Australian neighbour was out at midday with a hosepipe watering her garden - I very politely suggested that the water would just evaporate and maybe she could water her plants later in the day. (due to the scarce water) Well, she basically said what did I know as a pommie, and hasn't stopped for a chat since!

Old Nov 8th 2004, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
A while ago the temps were in the 30's here in Melbourne. My Australian neighbour was out at midday with a hosepipe watering her garden - I very politely suggested that the water would just evaporate and maybe she could water her plants later in the day. (due to the scarce water) Well, she basically said what did I know as a pommie, and hasn't stopped for a chat since!
Friendly Aussie, huh!

It's amazing isn't it! The corporate body gardeners used to come to our place during the day and flick the sprinklers on. I'd race outside and tell them that we weren't allowed to water the gardens during the day - they used to tell me not to worry about it, but I always stood my ground (cos the sprinkler controls were in my porch!!) I guess they got away with it the days I was at work.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Sander
Water cost in Sydney Oct 2002 $0.94 per 1,000 litres
Water cost in Sydney Sep 2004 $0.98 per 1,000 litres
These are the actual metered water consumption charges from bills received.

In QLD (Redlands area) The Water Consumption Charge for 2004-05 is 48.02 cents per kilolitre (1,000 litres) for the first 980 litres a day, then 67.0 cents per kilolitre for any water used over that amount.

They would need to really increase prices for most people to notice it.

Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Last year I was living in Raymond Terrace, NSW, and quite often during raintorms, the automatic sprinklers owned and run by the local council would turn on on.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

And yet, so many people here have swimming pools, spas' and automatic sprinklers going for hours, as someone else pointed out, even when it's raining. Never ceases to amaze me....!!
(Although, we have had some serious rain this week Don't know if it's enough though.......... )
Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Last year I was living in Raymond Terrace, NSW, and quite often during raintorms, the automatic sprinklers owned and run by the local council would turn on on.
There was a gardening program on TV the other day that said the best time to water your garden was whilst it was raining Maybe they set them to come on automatically when it rained

Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:30 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There was a gardening program on TV the other day that said the best time to water your garden was whilst it was raining Maybe they set them to come on automatically when it rained

Perhaps it soaks in better when the ground is already wet rather than evaporating off the dry, hard surface

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.