Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Watch out for Magpies!

Watch out for Magpies!

Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

The magpies in Oz have a really distinctive call. When on holiday here we used to wake up to it and think how exotic it was. Now I'll be petrified they'll attack me. Thanks for that!

Also never reaslised how noisy birds can be on a tin roof...

Mash

Originally posted by suebo
Sorry that is incorrect. They are more inclined to attack from the back. You don't even know they are comming until you hear the flapping of wings, just as they are about to peck your head.
I used to carry around a big stick when I was younger, had to walk through a park to get to school, you knew they were coming, but just didn't know when. I used to hold the stickl up in the air above my head until I got through the park. In my later years, I just use an umbrella.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Had to bring this to the top again after being attacked TWICE yesterday by magpies. It was a very scarey experience so be warned. I was walking home over the park when the first one attacked, I walked fairly close to some trees so wonder if I went too near a nest. It was relentless though, kept diving at my head trying to peck me whilst making a tremendous noise. Luckily I had a paper in my hand and tried to beat it away. I would have thought one go with the paper and it would be off but it just came back again & again. Must have made a funny sight me trying to hit it, it squaking and me shouting back! Scarey at the time though!

Second time, same park but I was with my son and the same thing happened again. He's 8 and wasn't too scared, just wanted to beat it up!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scutterUK
..."wear something bright on your head." they told me. It scares them before they dive bomb you.

:lecture:
My husband is always getting attacked while he is out cycling. Now we are talking serious cyclist here - lots of bright lycra and a striking red, white and blue helmet!!! The beaks are so long that sometimes they go between the vents in the helmet and actually peck his head. He has got numerous peck marks in the helmet itself (much to his disgust!!) They'll go for him even when he's on the move at say 30kph

I got attacked in Fitzroy Gardens a couple of months back - and it attacked from behind and hurt like mad!!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 4:17 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I've been waliking my dog and she has been 'swooped' at quite a lot.

They do make a funny sound, bit irratating when it's the middle of the night, but they all seem to make more noise then?
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:09 pm
WBB

i think i would have to invest in a shotgun and a shovel

Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:41 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watch out for Magpies!

Originally posted by Carol_in Oz
For those of you heading downunder soon. Watch out for Magpies as they are nesting at the moment.
Should you happen to be near to their nest the male bird could go on the defensive and 'swoop' and attack you. People have lost eyes due to an attack.
We used to have one living in a tree near the house. We spent half the year having to walk past to work with cycle helmets on our heads...evil things!!!!:scared:
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:50 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by welshboybilly
am i in the right thread...you did say magpies
Now your talking WBB, Shearer, Shearer. Champions League next year, just watch.

Back onto the subject of magpies I remember many a time getting 'swooped' on the golf course. The b*****s were very cunning and can work in 2's and 3's - one distracts and another swoops. I've been swooped from behind often, further to what someone else said. The trick at golf was to walk down the fairway waving a club in the air. You were knackered after 18 holes and waving clubs in the air

And if we are talking Collingwood Magpies I can remember many a joke about Magpie supporters but I won't repeat them here so as not to cause offence to anyone

TennisOz

Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

A friend and I were swooped on last week out jogging, we started sprinting then! It was scarey, and we had nothing to defend ourselves with, luckily the thing didn't persist. Another friend was attacked whilst cycling, it pecked at her ear under the helmet and drew blood. The magpies here are bigger than the UK ones and seem to be everywhere. My children use the local reserve to run with the school running club, they stick together in groups rather than run alone. On the news, some poor old guy was attacked a few weeks back and died of a heart attack.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

My Mum feeds the ones in our backyard. They're pretty tame now and will actually feed out of her hand. They always call out to her in the morning to let her know that they're waiting for food.

Luckily I haven't been swooped yet, but I saw a funny sight the other day. One of my Mum's cats was sauntering up the footpath and suddenly was confronted by a Magpie. Bit of a standoff but the poor cat decided it wasn't worth the effort so turned around to walk away. Magpie saw a great opportunity to attack and the last I saw of the cat was him running as fast as he could under the house.

Regards
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Lock & load.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

And the Magpies said, watch out for humans they will chop your tree house down and hit you with a basball bat.