Washing powder!

Old Nov 8th 2004, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Washing powder!

Yes boring I know

Trying to get the stains out of the clothes is awful. I have tried loads of different washing powder - the worst was omo aloe vera!

The clothes do not seem to be coming out the wash as clean as they should be. I am using a top loader That was supplied in my rental.

Have not seen anything like vanish or ace here only sprays to remove sprays - or maybe I am going round with my eyes shut. Anyone got any tips?

I want clean washing
Debs
Also do you know if you can get bounce for the tumble drier
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Washing powder!

Originally Posted by debsy
Yes boring I know

Trying to get the stains out of the clothes is awful. I have tried loads of different washing powder - the worst was omo aloe vera!

The clothes do not seem to be coming out the wash as clean as they should be. I am using a top loader That was supplied in my rental.

Have not seen anything like vanish or ace here only sprays to remove sprays - or maybe I am going round with my eyes shut. Anyone got any tips?

I want clean washing
Debs
Also do you know if you can get bounce for the tumble drier
Hi Debs

know what you mean, I use spray stain remover that you spray and chuck clothes straight in machine, its Preen ultralift plus (part of vanish brand), it has worked on everything so far!!!

Teresa
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:16 am

gedge has disabled reputation

The missus swears by Napisan?
Soak before use I think. Don't really understand it myself, I have to ask for instructions each time!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:20 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey debs, what are vanish & ace? And bounce?

The top loader will probably be part of the problem, but try something like Biozet or another one of the ones with enzymes (theres another one, but the name escapes me right now ).

As for the stain remover, Preen Ultralift is good as Swifts mentioned but it is a spray. We use Preen Direct, small red bottle like a roll on which is excellent.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:22 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
The missus swears by Napisan?
Soak before use I think. Don't really understand it myself, I have to ask for instructions each time!

Napisan certainly is meant to be good. I also use preen and find that helps quite a bit too. Personally I blame the top loaders (& the humans using them! ) I know we tend to overload because its got a bigger drum, I think this probably stops the clothes from cleaning as well as they should - I have found that doing two smaller loads helps the clothes clean better (and keeps them more in shape as well.)

[edit] I'm pretty sure you can get softner sheets (we dont have a drier) but I think in Coles/Woolworths there are the Colgate-Palmolive (Dynamo?) ones.

Last edited by mlbonner; Nov 9th 2004 at 12:29 am.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Napisan certainly is meant to be good. I also use preen and find that helps quite a bit too. Personally I blame the top loaders (& the humans using them! ) I know we tend to overload because its got a bigger drum, I think this probably stops the clothes from cleaning as well as they should - I have found that doing two smaller loads helps the clothes clean better (and keeps them more in shape as well.)

[edit] I'm pretty sure you can get softner sheets (we dont have a drier) but I think in Coles/Woolworths there are the Colgate-Palmolive (Dynamo?) ones.
Ok Thanks
Will try preen then girls

Lets see how I get on.....
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:36 am
rudo1ph

Napisan is great for pre-soaking, but you usually have to give the clothes a bit of a scrub too. I've found Vanish soap and use that - V good. But Ace was much better.

Hope you find something that works.

Rudi

Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:41 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Why was I the only bloke to answer? I'm going to have to get and and do some man's stuff like tinker with the car - then jules can put the napisan to work.

I read somewhere (on here I think) that toploaders don't have as long a wash cycle as front loaders, and that they don't heat as well?
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:43 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Why was I the only bloke to answer? I'm going to have to get and and do some man's stuff like tinker with the car - then jules can put the napisan to work.

I read somewhere (on here I think) that toploaders don't have as long a wash cycle as front loaders, and that they don't heat as well?

They're certainly quicker - dont know about the heat thing. Had a discussion with this with the blokey the other day (was complaining about not getting clothes clean also)... he did some quick internet research and there seems to be pros & cons for both. Think I've convinced him the next one is a front loader though
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry Chris
When I move into my own place I shall be purchasing a front loader
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:10 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by debsy
Sorry Chris
When I move into my own place I shall be purchasing a front loader

We got a front loader. But when you get one you only have limited choice on washing powder suitable for it. In my local supermarket there are 2 to choose from. Neither of them are for sensitive skin.

Jo
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Top loaders definitely aren't as efficient - even a "hot" wash doesn't get dirt & stains out. Lots of our stuff comes out with powder streaks on it - The Bloke hasn't used powder in 3 years, and the machine has been flushed through. How on earth do we get powder streaks when using liquid?
The black jeans I wore for racing at Surfers have been washed FIVE times, and are still streaked with white powder. The Bloke finally scrubbed the powder off with a brush, which has sort-of spoined the material but at least they are black again.

Clothes do get cleaner if the drum is only half full, though you can't guarantee it. The cycle is much shorter, and the clothes just get sloshed around, not washed as vigorously as in a front-loader.

Also beware if washing delicate stuff, or even thin shirts - the central paddles eat clothes for breakfast and can tear things very easily. Destroys underwired bras like they are a dogs dinner too. :scared:
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joh117
We got a front loader. But when you get one you only have limited choice on washing powder suitable for it. In my local supermarket there are 2 to choose from. Neither of them are for sensitive skin.

Jo
There is a liquid for sensitive skin that you can buy up here in Coles and
Bi-Lo - called Amolin - comes in small expensive bottles, but its as good as stuff like Surcare in the UK.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 2:02 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Top loaders definitely aren't as efficient - even a "hot" wash doesn't get dirt & stains out. Lots of our stuff comes out with powder streaks on it - The Bloke hasn't used powder in 3 years, and the machine has been flushed through. How on earth do we get powder streaks when using liquid?
The black jeans I wore for racing at Surfers have been washed FIVE times, and are still streaked with white powder. The Bloke finally scrubbed the powder off with a brush, which has sort-of spoined the material but at least they are black again.

Clothes do get cleaner if the drum is only half full, though you can't guarantee it. The cycle is much shorter, and the clothes just get sloshed around, not washed as vigorously as in a front-loader.

Also beware if washing delicate stuff, or even thin shirts - the central paddles eat clothes for breakfast and can tear things very easily. Destroys underwired bras like they are a dogs dinner too. :scared:
Have you considered that the "white powder" streaks might be calcium or magnesium compounds (eg carbonate) from hard water? If so then no amount of washing in that water will remove the streaks.

As a quick test, add about a gram of sodium carbonate ("washing soda") to 500 ml of tap water and dissolve. If a noticable (milky) precipitate forms after ~10 minutes then you may have hard water - use a detergent suited to hard water eg sodium laurate - definately NOT soap or the like which react with hardness to form "scum".
Old Nov 9th 2004, 2:12 am
ABCDiamond

I considered answering But then thought that I know more than I should about washing clothes, and if my wife finds out, I may be letting myself in for more work !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.