Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Washing Machines.......aaaarrrggghhh

Wikiposts

Washing Machines.......aaaarrrggghhh

Old Dec 23rd 2005, 9:23 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Washing Machines.......aaaarrrggghhh

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Christmas Eve tomorrow and our washing machine has died on us.... with two 6 month old babies in the house . We were rather hoping it would last until we left for Oz.

I'm dashing down to Curry's in the morning to buy a new one, but I guess this means we will be taking it to Oz with us, rather than chucking it as we go.

Can anyone advise us whether there are any compatibility problems with washing machines between UK and Oz - any makes we should or shouldn't consider?

Thanks

Buzzy
Hiya Buzzy,
our's has also given up the goast after 3 1/2 years.
It hasn't had much use so I will see if it is repairable.

I think it could be costly since is smelt of burning and tripped the whole house out!

Hope you get a nice one
Mark
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 1:02 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We brought a nearly new Zanussi with us recently. We didn't keep the retaining bolts but it works fine. All we had to do was change the plug. I would bring it as front-loaders are very expensive over here and don't have fast spin speeds (as everything dries so quickly anyway).
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Buzz

Try to rent one until you come down. If you buy one in the UK the warranty wont be worth the paper its written on.....If you buy here at least you will have that if anything goes wrong.

Good luck!!

Hels
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 5:32 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

we brought ours with us - had the large Maytag top loader and the Maytag matching tumbler. All we had to do was change the plug when we got here and it works fine - haven't used the tumbler yet as doesn't seem much point here. The large top loaders here seem to be a good price and not sure if this applies to all of them, but ours will take almost 4 times the capacity of our last front loader which was a Hotpoint.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 6:08 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Annqldau not Mr. who answered first... I hand washed for two months... never again don't know why people say it gets things cleaner I found the opposite to be true. However, the sun saved on the ironing...LOL.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 6:53 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Washing Machines.......aaaarrrggghhh

Originally Posted by annqldau
we brought ours with us - had the large Maytag top loader and the Maytag matching tumbler. All we had to do was change the plug when we got here and it works fine - haven't used the tumbler yet as doesn't seem much point here. The large top loaders here seem to be a good price and not sure if this applies to all of them, but ours will take almost 4 times the capacity of our last front loader which was a Hotpoint.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions

SirenandBrian - it is broken because the program no longer advances properly so you have to keep manually advancing it, well we lived with that until it refused to pump out properly so the clothes came out wet, now its leaked and its 6 years old so I'm going to chuck it.

Hels and Springbok - renting is a good idea that I hadn't considered, but -

The problem is I have the amount of washing that goes with two babies and I need a washing machine today (Christmas Eve :scared: ). So I haven't got the luxury of time to get it repaired or rent one - I'm going to have to buy one that you can collect and take it home.

Or my poor babies will run out of clothes, bibs, towels, sheets etc by boxing day if we're not careful!

Thanks again and Happy Christmas

Buzzy
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Craigv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hels
Buzz

Try to rent one until you come down. If you buy one in the UK the warranty wont be worth the paper its written on.....If you buy here at least you will have that if anything goes wrong.

Good luck!!

Hels

Hi..

We come out in March and we have an old machine in the UK which might just do us until we move over. We were thinking about buying a decent machine here as top loaders seem to be a lot more expensive in OZ for "good names" due to the higher import tax on white goods. We understand there will be shipping costs incurred but we plan on filling a 20ft container. As far as warranty goes I imagine you would get a one as standard manufacturers warranty that would be applicable where ever you are based.

The question is ...Would it be best leaving it until we came to OZ to but one or possibly pick one up in the January sales before we head out ? ....
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 9:53 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions

SirenandBrian - it is broken because the program no longer advances properly so you have to keep manually advancing it, well we lived with that until it refused to pump out properly so the clothes came out wet, now its leaked and its 6 years old so I'm going to chuck it.

Hels and Springbok - renting is a good idea that I hadn't considered, but -

The problem is I have the amount of washing that goes with two babies and I need a washing machine today (Christmas Eve :scared: ). So I haven't got the luxury of time to get it repaired or rent one - I'm going to have to buy one that you can collect and take it home.

Or my poor babies will run out of clothes, bibs, towels, sheets etc by boxing day if we're not careful!

Thanks again and Happy Christmas

Buzzy

OK well we've ended up with a Zanussi ZWF1640 £500 down to £250 as it had a scratch on the side - collecting it this afternoon.

Phew!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 10:49 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Have they got any AEG ones? There are service centres over here that deal with AEG and they only run on cold water.
Jenny
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 11:12 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Keep the holding bolts and packaging for shipping, stops the drum turning around
Old Dec 24th 2005, 9:02 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

OK well we've ended up with a Zanussi ZWF1640 £500 down to £250 as it had a scratch on the side - collecting it this afternoon.

Phew!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
wow sounds like you got a bargain
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:33 am
Victorian Evangelist

Phew!!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Stop Press!!! When I went down to Currys to collect the Zanussi they had a Hotpoint Ultima 1600 7kg newly ready for collection, also at £250, no damage, but end of line. So I swapped for that as it seemed better.

Can anyone tell me if these work OK in Oz and whether Hotpoint spares are available?

I kept the shipping bolts - thanks for the tip.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 29th 2005, 4:51 am

Stop Press!!! When I went down to Currys to collect the Zanussi they had a Hotpoint Ultima 1600 7kg newly ready for collection, also at £250, no damage, but end of line. So I swapped for that as it seemed better.

Can anyone tell me if these work OK in Oz and whether Hotpoint spares are available?

I kept the shipping bolts - thanks for the tip.

Cheers

Buzzy
Buzzy this is the machine we bought, ooo its lovely and my brother said there shouldnt be a problem getting spares as hotpoint is worldwide and also should be no problem with it working over there, just need to change the plug.

You've got a bargain
Old Dec 29th 2005, 5:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by possoms
Buzzy this is the machine we bought, ooo its lovely and my brother said there shouldnt be a problem getting spares as hotpoint is worldwide and also should be no problem with it working over there, just need to change the plug.

You've got a bargain

Great! Thanks for the advice. Now we've just got to work out what all the buttons do. It's like the bloomin' Starship Enterprise!!!!

"It's laundry Jim, but.... not as we know it".

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 29th 2005, 5:44 am

Great! Thanks for the advice. Now we've just got to work out what all the buttons do. It's like the bloomin' Starship Enterprise!!!!

"It's laundry Jim, but.... not as we know it".

Cheers

Buzzy
PMSL I know and now you know why I've spent many a night watching it with a glass of wine its more entertaining than the tv!!