Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warranties - be careful when purchasing

Warranties - be careful when purchasing

Old Apr 11th 2009, 6:39 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Warranties - be careful when purchasing

We have Kleenmaid appliances. We were told they are relaible and excellent quality.

We recently had the cooker fixed and it didn't cost anything as we paid extra for a 5 year warranty.

We just found out they've gone bust & we might as well whistle for the $500 we paid

Please be aware of this pitfall when being asked if you'd like additional warranty cover. It might not be worth the paper it's written on
Old Apr 11th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

smudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Warranties - be careful when purchasing

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
We have Kleenmaid appliances. We were told they are relaible and excellent quality.

We recently had the cooker fixed and it didn't cost anything as we paid extra for a 5 year warranty.

We just found out they've gone bust & we might as well whistle for the $500 we paid

Please be aware of this pitfall when being asked if you'd like additional warranty cover. It might not be worth the paper it's written on
You're right, warranty's are not worth the paper they're written on. Most if not all products come with a year manufacturer warranty anyway, most of the time if something is going to break down it will be in the first year or if you follow the instruction manual re maintenance then it won't at all. Any longer and the product is outdated and you'll probably pick the same thing up for the price you'd originally pay for the warranty.

Warranty's are a money making scheme for the slightly gullable. Peace of mind my arris.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 7:19 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smudger_scfc
You're right, warranty's are not worth the paper they're written on. Most if not all products come with a year manufacturer warranty anyway, most of the time if something is going to break down it will be in the first year or if you follow the instruction manual re maintenance then it won't at all. Any longer and the product is outdated and you'll probably pick the same thing up for the price you'd originally pay for the warranty.

Warranty's are a money making scheme for the slightly gullable. Peace of mind my arris.
To be fair we have always weighed up the cost of the warranty Vs replacement and Kleenmaid was a good warranty. The guarantee was if they couldn't repair it within the 5 year warranty then they would replace it with a brand new appliance.

The point I'm making is, if a company goes bust then the warranty is worthless. Normally this is a consideration with not so well known companies.

In the current economic climate, even well known established comapanies are sailing close to the wind and closing down. So even with a good company, is the risk worth it?
Old Apr 11th 2009, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

smudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant future

To be fair we have always weighed up the cost of the warranty Vs replacement and Kleenmaid was a good warranty. The guarantee was if they couldn't repair it within the 5 year warranty then they would replace it with a brand new appliance.

The point I'm making is, if a company goes bust then the warranty is worthless. Normally this is a consideration with not so well known companies.

In the current economic climate, even well known established comapanies are sailing close to the wind and closing down. So even with a good company, is the risk worth it?
To be honest mate, when i first started out i'd often by one. I went years without using them and then it occured to me, what a waste of money. But yes i see the point you're making for those of us who do feel the need for that extra peace of mind. They'll be selling warranty's for extended warranty's before too long
Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:35 am
ABCDiamond

Some of these additional warranty covers are insurer underwritten. It may be worth checking that point.

Old Apr 11th 2009, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some of these additional warranty covers are insurer underwritten. It may be worth checking that point.
Thanks for that ABC but Kleenmaid customers have been told their warranties are worthless so I guess they weren't underwritten then

Thanks anyway, appreiciate your help

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Apr 11th 2009 at 11:33 am. Reason: tellible schpelling :-)
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Kleenmaid's gone bust! A sign of the times, eh?

Sorry about your warranty , surely it's an insurance agreement that's underwriiten by another company. I'd get on to Citizens Advice just to make sure and see if you can claim any of the warranty money back. Perhaps Kleenmaid may be bought by another company, therefore your warranty should still stand.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by northernlights
Kleenmaid's gone bust! A sign of the times, eh?.
I know, who'd of thunk it

Originally Posted by northernlights
Sorry about your warranty , surely it's an insurance agreement that's underwriiten by another company. I'd get on to Citizens Advice just to make sure and see if you can claim any of the warranty money back. Perhaps Kleenmaid may be bought by another company, therefore your warranty should still stand.
No underwriters. They went into voluntary liquidation.

Deloitte who are the administrators have said tough luck. Anyone who's paid a deposit or has a warranty, neither are worth a fig:

(http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...47-661,00.html
Old Apr 11th 2009, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that ABC but Kleenmaid customers have been told their warranties are worthless so I guess they weren't underwritten then

Thanks anyway, appreiciate your help
I wonder if you could register with the administrators as a creditor.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by fish.01
I wonder if you could register with the administrators as a creditor.
Probably could but by the time they've paid off their debtors and staff there'd be nothing left. This would have been established by Deloitte which is why they've forwarned for us not to bother.

I also feel sorry for the poor buggars that have lost their jobs too
Old Apr 11th 2009, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont normally buy the warranty but when i bought my washing machine & tumble dryer drom Harvey Normans they offered 5 year warranty for $50 on each, how could i say no.

I also have a Nab gold card which claims to offer an extra 12 months free warranty if bought using the card.

James
Old Apr 11th 2009, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by leave_n_on_a_Jet
I also have a Nab gold card which claims to offer an extra 12 months free warranty if bought using the card.

James
That's a good point

I have a visa gold so might be able to claim it back

Not sure but I can find out. Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We have Kleenmaid appliances as well but did not take out the extra warranty.

I love my Kleenmaid appliances so good the quality outstanding.

I just hope that someone else will be able to take the company over as its Australian and makes wonderful appliances.

Never a fan of paying a deposit on things. Wait till we can pay outright.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

In all the houses we built we used kleenmaid once, IMO the products we bought were crap, never understood the fascination with them?? I actually know 3 people who worked for them, all left in the past 12 months.

As for extended warranty, I had one on our LG washing machine, it runs constantly, in year 5 a nice little chinese man came out and fixed 3 things on it, was well worth the warranty.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich
In all the houses we built we used kleenmaid once, IMO the products we bought were crap, never understood the fascination with them?? I actually know 3 people who worked for them, all left in the past 12 months.

As for extended warranty, I had one on our LG washing machine, it runs constantly, in year 5 a nice little chinese man came out and fixed 3 things on it, was well worth the warranty.
We have been really pleased with ours and the quality is great which is why we bought them. The quality was never in doubt and unlike yourself we've used Kleenmaid more than once. It's the fact the bloody warantee is invalid that sticks in the throat. Ahhh well.....maybe I'll try LG next time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.