Reload this Page >

Warning Speed cameras

Warning Speed cameras

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Red face Warning Speed cameras

A word of warning to you new arrivals.

Watch out for speed traps. There are quite a few mobile set ups over here and they don't give you much room for error.

Just picked up my second ticket in 4 months for doing 63K in a 60 zone, give me strength. OK it's only 1 demerit as it happened a few weeks before they doubled the penalty for Christmas, but I'd never got a ticket in the UK in 18 years. It's a real revenue raiser here.

So couple of things to note.

WA Police do seem to hide and post their camera warning sign after the camera site (maybe I was unlucky)

I've been told it's illegal here to warn other drivers of a camera site so no flashing your lights. Having said that the radio stations broadcast the trap locations some times.

Lastly, the number of points you get will be doubled during long weekends and right over Christmas and the New Year.

Bets of luck to the rest of you.

Nick
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:34 pm
WBB

Default Re: Warning Speed cameras

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nibbs

Watch out for speed traps. There are quite a few mobile set ups over here and they don't give you much room for error.

Just picked up my second ticket in 4 months for doing 63K in a 60 zone, give me strength. OK it's only 1 demerit as it happened a few weeks before they doubled the penalty for Christmas, but I'd never got a ticket in the UK in 18 years. It's a real revenue raiser here.

WA Police do seem to h

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:34 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Nibbs

WA Police do seem to hide and post their camera warning sign after the camera site (maybe I was unlucky)

I've been told it's illegal here to warn other drivers of a camera site so no flashing your lights. Having said that the radio stations broadcast the trap locations some times.

Lastly, the number of points you get will be doubled during long weekends and right over Christmas and the New Year.

Bets of luck to the rest of you.

Nick
these speed cameras are becoming a real pain in the ass here in the UK aswell, had my second penalty in as many months.

i am now the proud owner of 6 points and £120 in fines !!!!!

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:37 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nibbs
...doing 63K in a 60 zone
Those ozzie cars go don't they...63000 in a 60 zone!
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:40 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

when i was in SA earlier this year you always got flashed when there was a copper sat in his car waiting. i found it very endearing. saying that though we got caught doign 124kmph on a 100km road somewhere in the Hay Plain in NSW. we had only seen about 2 lorries and 5 other cars in the previous 2 hours. i dont know how going 24km over the speed limit would have hurt anyone apart from me and the driver if anythign had happened. its not like you could use the arguement a small kid could run out into the road when we were in such an isolated and unpopulated place. i guess rules are rules though and while the 200 dollar fine was pain we had nobody to blame apart from ourselves. paid it gracefully and put it down to experience.

i am a totaly against speeding in towns and i do try and uphold the speed limit in those circumstances.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:40 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Florida_03
Those ozzie cars go don't they...63000 in a 60 zone!
lol...i did'nt notice that typo

i think you deserved your fine !!!

lol

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:45 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by welshboybilly
these speed cameras are becoming a real pain in the ass here in the UK aswell, had my second penalty in as many months.

i am now the proud owner of 6 points and £120 in fines !!!!!

Rough Justice for you WBB this a picture of our local camera in Denham Bucks

I have a unit in the car that warns u of all static cams of all types and it also tells u of the new radar type cost a fair bit but worth it i still have a clean pair of sheets I think they are avalible in australia too
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:47 pm
WBB

the only good speed camera is a dead one

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:54 pm
What's he asking?

are you advocating that speeding is ok then WBB or are you saying that speeding is only ok in certain situations or road conditions?
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hi guys

yes these nova cameras are real revenue earners for the government but you only have to watch 7 news each evening...they list where they are going to be the next day.

I don't think they tell you where hand held radars might be though so you have to really keep your eyes peeled for those guys!!! I was caught doing 64 in a 50 zone

And remember guys, the double demerit points are around until the new year! particularly targeting speeding, drink driving and not wearing your seatbelts!!

Happy holidays everyone!!

love sophia xxx
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 2:11 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
are you advocating that speeding is ok then WBB or are you saying that speeding is only ok in certain situations or road conditions?

...careful billy! they're tempting us in to that arguement again.

while i'm here, if someone was going 63000mph. or even kph. i don't think the camera would have seen them. would love to know what car it was though, gotta get me'sen one of those!!

....speeding is baaaad mmm'kay

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 2:13 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by sophia
hi guys

yes these nova cameras are real revenue earners for the government but you only have to watch 7 news each evening...they list where they are going to be the next day.

I don't think they tell you where hand held radars might be though so you have to really keep your eyes peeled for those guys!!! I was caught doing 64 in a 50 zone

And remember guys, the double demerit points are around until the new year! particularly targeting speeding, drink driving and not wearing your seatbelts!!

Happy holidays everyone!!

love sophia xxx
love your avatar by the way!
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 2:17 pm
What's he asking?

...careful billy! they're tempting us in to that arguement again.
not temtping at all. from my experience of UK roads and very limited experience of driving in australia i feel that on motorways and highways out of built up areas there should be a relaxation of the speed limit. motorways tend to be a lot safer than normal surburban streets. my comment came from getting caught speeding in australia in the middle of nowhere when we hadnt seen many cars going in either way for a good two hours before we got clocked. i dont see what harm we were doing to anyone apart from ourselves. i will qualify again by saying that i think that speed limits in towns should be adhered to if not even reduced.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 2:42 pm
WBB

i am saying the latter.

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 2:43 pm
life begins again...

not temtping at all. from my experience of UK roads and very limited experience of driving in australia i feel that on motorways and highways out of built up areas there should be a relaxation of the speed limit. motorways tend to be a lot safer than normal surburban streets. my comment came from getting caught speeding in australia in the middle of nowhere when we hadnt seen many cars going in either way for a good two hours before we got clocked. i dont see what harm we were doing to anyone apart from ourselves. i will qualify again by saying that i think that speed limits in towns should be adhered to if not even reduced.
sorry fuz, i didn't mean to cause offence. I'm in total agreement with you. It's just as soon as you say anything about it being 'ok' to go a few mile an hour over the limit all sorts of comments come back. A similar thread was started by WBB a few months back. take a look and you'll see what i mean.

personally i think speed limits should be to the letter, or number. if it says 30mph you can't go above it...... too PC do you think? What gets me however, is like you say, a speed trap in the middle of nowhere is obviously nothing more than a money-earner!

vroom vroom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.