Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning: Personal Woman type question

Warning: Personal Woman type question

Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Question Warning: Personal Woman type question

Hi everyone Mrs Dicko here,

Just wondering about personal women type stuff so here goes:

At the moment I have a "coil" fitted, am I best getting this taken out over here or will I be just able to turn up at a hospital over there? this leads me on to the next question, are birth control pills free, as they are over here?
and sorry one more thing? what do I do about regular smear tests I am due one soon, shall I have that over here or shall I get one sorted as soon as I land, and is it the same procedure I.E Just arrange one as & when?

Sorry about the embarrassing questions and thanks for any advice, if you feel the need, feel free to PM on my hubbies address?

Thanks
Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:57 am
Merlot

Default Re: Warning: Personal Woman type question

Originally Posted by Dicko

At the moment I have a "coil" fitted, am I best getting this taken out over here or will I be just able to turn up at a hospital over there? this leads me on to the next question, are birth control pills free, as they are over here?
and sorry one more thing? what do I do about regular smear tests I am due one soon, shall I have that over here or shall I get one sorted as soon as I land, and is it the same procedure I.E Just arrange one as & when?

Sorry about the embarrassing questions and thanks for any advice, if you feel the need, feel free to PM on my hubbies address?

Thanks
We have plenty on here who are in the medical/nursing profession. Sure they will be able to advise.

From memory birth control pills/condoms/etc are not free. Smears you can have them as often as you wish in Oz, unlike the UK who hold you to 3 years unless you have had issues.

I have had 2 female minor procedures in Australia in public hospitals, on both occasions both the Gynys/Med teams were 101% fab.

Get a smear before you go, one less thing to worry about. I used to go to my family GP for this back in Oz.

These are not embarrasing questions, you are being very sensible and thinking ahead of your health.

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:11 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
No turning up...but get local doctor and the cost with your medicare card should be small enough. Fee might depend on whether local Medical Practice bulk bills or not.

NO free birth control at all.....unless on state handouts and you cannot get those for two years if not counting (Aus versions of) low income for child allowances and rent.

Smears.....easy just check out local doctors and if not worried about cost then they should be phone and make appointment when suits.

Even if you do have to pay and get reimbursed part costs through medicare....smears and birth control are biggers issues than the few dollars you might save than not going
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:13 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mrs Dicko

When I learnt that you had to pay for contraception in Australia I booked my hubby in for a little procedure! And that was an end to that - or it will be when he gets the all clear in a month's time!

I will definitely be getting a smear done here before we go - it's unpleasant enough at the best of times so I guess it'll be slightly easier in familiar surroundings and one less thing to worry about at the other end. (Thanks for reminding me!)

Binbird
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:15 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by binbird

When I learnt that you had to pay for contraception in Australia I booked my hubby in for a little procedure!

Binbird
OK, now I know who this bloke is "Bindone".

M

Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:28 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Ah this thread raises a good point about womens issues and blokes for that matter.

For all those with teenagers who might need contraceptive or even just general medical advice without parental permission. Eash child can apply at 15 yrs of age for their own medicare card.

We have two medicare cards one for each adult...the children have their names recorded on each card and my son has had to 'borrow' one to visit the doctor. But as we found out you can find out the billing information on the family card as a matter of course, so not really as private as a young adult might like.

There are certain clinics of course children have access to but not as freely as they might have had in the UK. This post is for information only and in no way reflects my general views.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:38 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Not too personal at all. In fact it reminds me, I have an implant in my arm, that is good for 3 years, do any of you ladies know if they are available in oz? I have had it in for just under a year, and get on great with it, so would like to continue when this one expires.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:22 am
patrickgoldsmith

patrickgoldsmith is on a distinguished road

Thanks
Have you tried the "rythmn method"?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:27 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by patrickgoldsmith

I have tried it to music on many occasions but doesn't stop the pregnancies!!!!!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:32 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Warning: Personal Woman type question

Originally Posted by patrickgoldsmith
never tried the rhythm method as I have 2 left feet and no sense of timing...!!!!!!!typical bloke I suppose..
CORKER
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:34 am
patrickgoldsmith

patrickgoldsmith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CORKER
never tried the rhythm method as I have 2 left feet and no sense of timing...!!!!!!!typical bloke I suppose..
CORKER
Sorry girls!!!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binbird
Hi Mrs Dicko

When I learnt that you had to pay for contraception in Australia I booked my hubby in for a little procedure! And that was an end to that - or it will be when he gets the all clear in a month's time!

I will definitely be getting a smear done here before we go - it's unpleasant enough at the best of times so I guess it'll be slightly easier in familiar surroundings and one less thing to worry about at the other end. (Thanks for reminding me!)

Binbird

on saturday jim got the all clear after 1yr and 2wks from having his little op!
one less worry! definitely will ensure im up to date with my gp before we go to oz, its horrid enough let alone going to somewhere you dont know.
Trish
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
on saturday jim got the all clear after 1yr and 2wks from having his little op!
one less worry! definitely will ensure im up to date with my gp before we go to oz, its horrid enough let alone going to somewhere you dont know.
Trish
Trish, is it "normal" for the all clear to take that long. Have been nagging (moi! ) for ages for hubby to get it done, finally booked in for end April. Planning on leaving July/August and was hoping for the all clear by then - it would seem not. I guess he will be visiting an aussie quack sooner than the rest of us
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:13 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Trish, is it "normal" for the all clear to take that long. Have been nagging (moi! ) for ages for hubby to get it done, finally booked in for end April. Planning on leaving July/August and was hoping for the all clear by then - it would seem not. I guess he will be visiting an aussie quack sooner than the rest of us

My husband had the final all clear 3 months after the op.
So ayear seems way long to me.
Gillian
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

No free contraception but I have found doctors here to be excelent. In Sydney there's the Sydney Sexual Health Clinic (Freecall 1800-451-624 )which is completely free, right in the centre of town. I had a smear there and it was so so much less of a nightmare as it was in the UK. And yes Anastasia contraceptive implants are available here too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.