Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WARNING:- Getting your visa can be enjoyable!

WARNING:- Getting your visa can be enjoyable!

Old May 27th 2005, 2:10 pm
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future
Default WARNING:- Getting your visa can be enjoyable!

When we decided to start looking into getting our PR's we were lucky enough to find this website which became a major source of good quality info.

One thing that almost put us off was how many threads there were (and still are!) concerning how hard it is to get your visa i.e. - you have to put your life on hold, it’s on your mind every waking hour, no one replies to your emails or phone calls, your post goes missing, it’s really complicated and expensive etc etc etc.

Luckily we decided to ignore this ‘advice’ and went for it anyway.

We chose not to use an agent and got the skills assessment in October. We applied for PR in November and were granted it in April. It cost us around £1500 in total, the medicals and police checks were a doddle, all the paperwork went smoothly, our CO responded to our numerous emails and we didn’t have to put our lives on hold.

My point is that I am sure a number of people visit this web-site and find it very worrying when they read all the threads about visa applications and how it has negatively affected people’s lives. I just wanted to say that it can seem like a piece of cake as long as you triple check your paperwork, certainly enjoyable, very exciting at times and the feeling when you find out it has been granted is well worth the wait anyway.

Why not try enjoying a process which, after all, is actually the very beginning of the first stage of your new life in Australia...

Cheers.
Old May 27th 2005, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WARNING:- Getting your visa can be enjoyable!

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
When we decided to start looking into getting our PR's we were lucky enough to find this website which became a major source of good quality info.

One thing that almost put us off was how many threads there were (and still are!) concerning how hard it is to get your visa i.e. - you have to put your life on hold, it’s on your mind every waking hour, no one replies to your emails or phone calls, your post goes missing, it’s really complicated and expensive etc etc etc.

We chose not to use an agent and got the skills assessment in October. We applied for PR in November and were granted it in April. It cost us around £1500 in total, the medicals and police checks were a doddle, all the paperwork went smoothly, our CO responded to our numerous emails and we didn’t have to put our lives on hold.

My point is that I am sure a number of people visit this web-site and find it very worrying when they read all the threads about visa applications and how it has negatively affected people’s lives. I just wanted to say that it can seem like a piece of cake as long as you triple check your paperwork, certainly enjoyable, very exciting at times and the feeling when you find out it has been granted is well worth the wait anyway.

Why not try enjoying a process which, after all, is actually the very beginning of the first stage of your new life in Australia...

Cheers.
If your case is straightforward, or even a wee bit tricky (as ours was), I don't see the need for an agent, or to put your life on hold.

Good post. A bit of balance,

JTL
Old May 27th 2005, 2:37 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
Having got through the visa process including skills assessment in just 5 months without any real hassles I have to agree with you. There were lots of nervous questions of which very few were real issues at all. Now as for sellig the house....that's another matter.
Old May 27th 2005, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Totally agree. We did it all ourselves and despite the 'when are they ever going to send us for medicals and police checks', the whole process was totally harmless - and a lot cheaper than via an agent.

I totally appreciate that some people need to use an agent but for straightforward cases I don't think it's that bad!
Old May 27th 2005, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

hlbrunty is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: WARNING:- Getting your visa can be enjoyable!

Cheers.
I would like to 2nd that - I just got my visa and the relief is immense, well worth it, although it does seem like its on your mind all the time. Definitely check and recheck your paperwork, good advice!
Old May 27th 2005, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

matt`n`shaz is on a distinguished road

Cheers.

Good to hear a happy, success story!! I must agree with you, we are looking into the possibility of applying but are rather stressed about the procedure and hassles people seem to have. We are now going to give it a go without an agent.

Good luck

Sharon
Old May 28th 2005, 8:42 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess you're one of the lucky ones, I dont call failing TRA and having to go through it all twice enjoyable!

Wil just be glad when it's all over and we've got our visas in our passports.
Old May 28th 2005, 1:48 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I think the thing to bear in mind is that the visa is just one of a whole series of hurdles to get over in the race to settling in Australia: Skills assessment > telling friends and family > visa > selling house > packing > finding a rental > buying a car > finding a job > buying a house etc etc

I appreciate that some find skills assessment or visa hard going but others will find other hurdles to be high. There is enough genuinely to worry about that you don't need to start getting yourself into a tizzy over things that might possibly be a problem with your application but very rarely turn out to be so. If you want to integrate with the Aussie lifestyle start practicing that "no worries" attitude now and you will find the whole thing less stressful.