Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning - broadband in Brisbane

Warning - broadband in Brisbane

Old May 29th 2007, 9:54 am
Daryl

darylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to alldarylh is a name known to all
Angry Warning - broadband in Brisbane

Just a word of warning for those moving to Brisbane. We signed a contract and moved into a rental in Carina, Brisbane last weekend, only to discover that the local telephone exchange has no more ports available for ADSL broadband internet. Apparently this is the case for a lot of areas in Brisbane due to the growth and influx of settlers to Brisbane. We've been told we could have to wait over a year until capacity on the exchange is upgraded.

As there's no Cable in this area either I've had to go out and buy a 3G Data Card for my mobile from Telstra - an expensive option! If I'd have known this was the case beforehand we probably wouldn't have rented in this location.

Daryl
Old May 29th 2007, 10:29 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning - broadband in Brisbane

Originally Posted by darylh
Just a word of warning for those moving to Brisbane. We signed a contract and moved into a rental in Carina, Brisbane last weekend, only to discover that the local telephone exchange has no more ports available for ADSL broadband internet. Apparently this is the case for a lot of areas in Brisbane due to the growth and influx of settlers to Brisbane. We've been told we could have to wait over a year until capacity on the exchange is upgraded.

As there's no Cable in this area either I've had to go out and buy a 3G Data Card for my mobile from Telstra - an expensive option! If I'd have known this was the case beforehand we probably wouldn't have rented in this location.

Daryl
Unfortunately it is not only a problem in Carina, but Brisbane and Australia-wide problem. That is why we are not bothering to get broadband but rather we will stay with dial-up.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

What is the latest situation in Carina as I am looking at renting a house there?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:45 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

You are certainly not on your own Daryl with problems with broadband:curse::curse:
We ordered broadband from Telstra only to be told 2 days before we were due to go online that they had no ports available and didn't know when there would be any. Because of hubbies job and him being secretary of the local Lions club we couldn't function without broadband so bit the bullet and paid for wireless
It cost a bloody arm and a leg and then we had to by a booster aeriel() and still can only muster average strength signal. This means that at any given time the damned signal drops out and we are left high and dry.........................................oh and the fastest speed is about as good as the slowest bt speed.
I hope Telstra pull their finger out and get some more ports available soon cos I can't tell you how many times this 'puter has nearly been fired out the window

Loz x
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I typed in the address of the property on BigPond's website and it came up with no to cable. I then rang Telstra up and he came back with yes. So what is it?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

TheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really nice

Daryl
I had exactly the same issues in Port Stepehns, NSW.

This may be of help though

http://www.telstrawholesale.com/prod...nd_reports.htm
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:15 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

You might be able to get virgin broadband instead, no port issues as it's wireless.

Daryl
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by themerlin
You might be able to get virgin broadband instead, no port issues as it's wireless.
But Virgin Broadband gets the internet to your home through the same exchange right?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:17 am
Brisbane or bust!

Hooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant futureHooch&Lol has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by discobay
But Virgin Broadband gets the internet to your home through the same exchange right?
We've got the same in Redland Bay, southside, and telstra have 'no plans' to upgrade the exchange despite the amount of property being built down here! Bloody nightmare!! No cable either.We've got the Next G thing too which is damned expensive but at least it allows us to skype home! Bummer eh??!!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

I have just researched this and they provide you with a 3G wireless modem. No phone connection is required. Hmmm sounds tempting.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

tallboy21 is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to the third world
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:39 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I have just researched this and they provide you with a 3G wireless modem. No phone connection is required. Hmmm sounds tempting.
.....and expensive.....?
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Not really. Am I right in saying that a land line monthly rental runs at around AUD25-30? If so then AUD60 for unlimited local and national calls plus unlimited calls to Virgin mobiles plus the broadband component is a good deal.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 11:22 am

Not really. Am I right in saying that a land line monthly rental runs at around AUD25-30? If so then AUD60 for unlimited local and national calls plus unlimited calls to Virgin mobiles plus the broadband component is a good deal.

What is the download limit before you pay extra or have it slow down?
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

4GB of downloads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.