Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning To All Tradesmen

Warning To All Tradesmen

Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

tommytriggs has a spectacular aura abouttommytriggs has a spectacular aura abouttommytriggs has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb Re: Warning To All Tradesmen

anybody wanna brickie???? i need the job to help me gain the points required for entry. also, i got the impression that the real money was in the way they sell plots individually & you get to build your own projects??? kerrrrr chinggggg! correct me if im wrong,was the main reason OZ interested me
Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:24 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning To All Tradesmen

Hmmmmmm....

Not altogether true.

I'm a Plumber, & I just walked into the licensing place in Perth, showed them all my qualifications etc. and they gave me my Plumbers License on the spot!

No $600 TAFE course & test or anything like that..

Never even heard of a points system, & I've renewed my license twice.
The Plumbers Licensing Board just send me a reminder every year when it's due for renewal, & I pay $100 a year.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:05 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosscog
sorry i dont really understand this, can someone please explain it to me.

Someone on this post has printed a big list of trades that he believes if you are to work in any of these you will need some sort of special license.

I am a mechanical fitter, does this mean i will need a special license, as well as my tra pass and trade papers in order to obtain a job.

I am leaving in 6 weeks and did not think i had to do anything else, could someone please put me straight.

I will not want to work self employed or anything like that, just a regular fitting job same as im doing here at the moment.

cheers, ross......
That was me.... you need to read www.workplace.gov.au/tra & look at the section for Trade Skills Certification - Australian Residents Only. This gives all the detail you will need....

As far as I understand, people who are not licensed for certain trades don't earn as much as those who have a livcense - similar to corgi & non-corgi registereed......

If I am wrong please correct me.

Claire
x
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:17 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Darren Gilbert
before you come over really look into all the things you will have to do to work here.
you will need a licence($200-400)and you have to renew it every year at the same cost,if you didnt do a apprentership or go to collage for your trade you will have to go to tafe and take a test $600,green card $100,every year you have to earn 35 points to keep your licence,you earn points by taking more courses you dont need,god knows what that will cost,it wont be cheap.any electrical tool have to be tagged every month by an electrician,you pay. wages will be a lot lower than the uk,renew your driving licence every year ,you will need public liability insurance,green card,and accident and sickness insurance,then workers comp insurance if you employ a labourer etc which is 20% of whatever wage you are paying them every week,then you will have to pay his
super annuation which is 9% of his weekly wage and dont forget to pay your own,you need all this just to get on site no one will start you without them all.you will proberly have to travel a lot longer to work than you are used to and taxes are higher than uk.the goverment wonder why no one here is leaving school and learning a trade,they are making it very hard to earn money as a tradesman here,i know i lot of ozzys here who have give it up and just got a driving job or warehouse work etc,less stress.
dont get me wrong i would rather be here than uk,i just thought you have a right to know,wish someone had told me.

Wow so glad i aint gona bother with my trade have to agree with Cresta if your gona do it then be PAYE. Done 20 years in the yUK as self employed 715 714 VAT 17.5% tax 40 % public lia employers insurance blah blah blah high blood preasure grey hair blah blah blah, no iam not goning to bother took me PSV and HGV recently, sounds far less hassle.
Good luck to all you younger tradies though if ya can hack it charge em!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:36 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
Hmmmmmm....

Not altogether true.

I'm a Plumber, & I just walked into the licensing place in Perth, showed them all my qualifications etc. and they gave me my Plumbers License on the spot!

No $600 TAFE course & test or anything like that..

Never even heard of a points system, & I've renewed my license twice.
The Plumbers Licensing Board just send me a reminder every year when it's due for renewal, & I pay $100 a year.
Think yourself lucky you don't live here in QLD then mate.
My licence just to lay wall and floor tiles took 9 months to sort out that was with City & Guilds craft and advance craft levels an indentured apprenticeship and all the paperwork submitted at the initial interview.
WA sure seems a lot more laid back licencing wise.
Do you not have testing and tagging in WA? in Qld it's 3 monthly for everything electrical you use on site even leads and chargers. In NSW it's monthly.
Before you get your licence here you also have to do a 3 day business course.
I thought the licencing only applied to the construction industry as the QBSA deal with the licencing side of things.
Someone else mentioned that if your a chippy and want to lay tiles you need a seperate licence. It's almost impossible to do this as to gain the licence initially you need to have worked in that trade for the required time. i.e unless you do one or the other your not working full time in either and can get knocked back for both.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thewoods
its different over here in WA - the workers comp is 6% of gross wages you pay someone - but they do have inspectors come around to check - also public liabilty insurance - which on average for $5 million is $700 fro a carpenter - it is a lot of money to set up on your own - but all those licenses and cards etc apply mostly to building sites - i have been told over in eatern states if you are a carpenter you have to have a license and if you are a caroenter who want sto tile - you have to get a seperate license - they are more relaxed over here - muy husband is a carpenter and he is classed as a sole trader and gets paid gst etc - he gets $33 per hour and doenst have to pay anything the company pay insurances and worekers comp etc - took a long time coming but it came and i hope it lasts!

Hello thewoods,
Hope you don,t mind me asking but what sort of carpentry does your husband do and is there still plenty of work around SOR for us chippys?I,m a new build chippy at heart but when we were in Perth last year for our rekkie i was a little suprised of how little timber there was in the new builds.So i thought i may have to look at other types of carpentry if we choose the west coast.

dave
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chippy dave
Hello thewoods,
Hope you don,t mind me asking but what sort of carpentry does your husband do and is there still plenty of work around SOR for us chippys?I,m a new build chippy at heart but when we were in Perth last year for our rekkie i was a little suprised of how little timber there was in the new builds.So i thought i may have to look at other types of carpentry if we choose the west coast.

dave
you r right there isnt a lot of timber used on newbuilds - even door frames and window frames are metal!!
- cabinet makers fox the kitchen - all their is for carpenters is skirting, doors and thats about as good as it gets

in uk andrew were a 2nd fix joiner - he worked fro council all his life - refurbs, maintenance etc etc - here in WA its not what u know tis who u know - he got on with someone i met putting up steel roofing but the guy he worked with was adrunk - he has worked for a co who had maintenance contract for schools but there wasnt even work to keep going - now he works for a building co and doeas allsorts - someonetimes he complains because he says i arent a bloddy concrete layer i am a chippy but if it pays the mortgage - who gives a shit!