Be Warned!

Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Be Warned!

What's in your in-flight emergency food store?

Be Warned
Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:33 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be Warned!

Originally posted by Ailsa
What's in your in-flight emergency food store?

Be Warned
We were once stopped at Bribane airport after having our luggage scanned.
The scanner picked up we were carrying some Chocolate chip cookies for our son

They did not even open the bags but knew we wwere carrying food in our suitcases .Luckily they did not confiscate them but warned us not to bring food in in future!

I did not even know scanners could do that.

As Ailsa says you have been warned.

G
Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

what's wrong with carrying biccies-as long as you declare it? We have always brought food into Australia and never had a problem if we declare it and it is not meat, fruit etc. They did get a bit funny with something-said that if it had milk powder in it we may be bringing foot and mouth into the country?!?

Originally posted by Grayling
We were once stopped at Bribane airport after having our luggage scanned.
The scanner picked up we were carrying some Chocolate chip cookies for our son

They did not even open the bags but knew we wwere carrying food in our suitcases .Luckily they did not confiscate them but warned us not to bring food in in future!

I did not even know scanners could do that.

As Ailsa says you have been warned.

G
Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

There are signs everywhere so they must have had their eyes shut - they could have thrown them in the amnsety bins.

We had some sweets and pringles etc but we declared them and they said that they were okay.

They seemed to be worried about things made out of wood as well.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by melaniee
what's wrong with carrying biccies-as long as you declare it? We have always brought food into Australia and never had a problem if we declare it and it is not meat, fruit etc. They did get a bit funny with something-said that if it had milk powder in it we may be bringing foot and mouth into the country?!?

I think the problem was that we forgot to declare them.

G
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia and NZ are paranoid about organic contamination - well certainly neurotic :scared:

You declare it!!! for goodness sake you fill out a form nearly last thing before landing. How can you forget you have food in bag? and as Debsy says, amnesty bins for anything you do genuinely forget ( or kids pull out of backpacks)

We also took food into Australia and NZ - generally stuff family in NZ had asked for and if processed usually they just wave you through. However husband is on Atkins diet and we knew airline food was no good for that so we had pack of nuts as high protein alternative. Declared, customs asked to examine, handed back as OK.

btw: Qantas food is worst we ever had in-flight. However we are told they have best safety record and most frequent refresher training. Which would you choose - oops -prob another thread
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

We took a large jar of coffee and several boxes of chocolates as gifts to friends in sydney from friends in Auckland. The customs woman picke dthem up on a scan and asked what htey were, when i told her, she laughed and said i could only take them through if i let her open them up and try on eout of each box!!!!!!!..... (yes she was joking) we hadnt declared them and she was fine about it.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:05 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana (the missus)had two small wooden wall-hangings thrust into her hands by her bestmate at Heathrow departures just before she left the UK in October last year. She was worried that Customs/AQIS would confiscate them when she got here. As she had declared them they seemed satisfied to let her through even without a warning.

They are now hanging on the wall.

I can understand why AQIS so tough because we already have too many introduced pests from overseas (foxes, canetoads and
european carp that is.) but sometimes they do go overboard. Imagining a silk flower is a live real one- after 5 months sealed up in a box-get real!!

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 13th 2004 at 10:16 am.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:11 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Ailsa,
obviously never flown Malaysian then. The sight of some of the meals last year almost made me puke and it takes alot to get me airsick!. Plus you were lucky to get a cup of water every hour. give me the flying kangaroo anytime I think>
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Well, Singapore is no better - the service is great and so are the movies but the food is awful. Especially the kids meals - they are really vile.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Singaporre food yuk-really. We really enjoyed it!

Try Emirates or South african-now that is yuk!

Being a vegetarian Emirates gave us a vegan meal and refused to give us tea-gave us orange juice instead.

Originally posted by debsy
Well, Singapore is no better - the service is great and so are the movies but the food is awful. Especially the kids meals - they are really vile.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 11:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My mate brought a load of stuff like Thorntons chocs and Christmas Pudding over for me, declared it all, and it all got in no problem.
However the sniffer dog went mad over his little backpack, and it turns out that he had been washing his socks in powder that was apple scented (I know, but its the sort of thing he does!!!) - AQIS guys thought it was hilarious as they stood there sniffing his socks, with the dog going insane, but it shows just how sensitive the dogs are to fruit smells.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 11:11 am
din
Forum Regular

din is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debsy
you obviously haven't flown Lufthansa yet - crap service, grumpy stewardesses (well, German obviously...), even worse food, and just one screen in the middle of the aisle for the whole plane - if the entertainment system works...BUT they serve their food with metal knifes - in case you want to kill yourself, I suppose...
And I thought I was smart taking the vegetarian option...so silly of me...
Old Feb 13th 2004, 11:18 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
My mate brought a load of stuff like Thorntons chocs and Christmas Pudding over for me, declared it all, and it all got in no problem.
However the sniffer dog went mad over his little backpack, and it turns out that he had been washing his socks in powder that was apple scented (I know, but its the sort of thing he does!!!) - AQIS guys thought it was hilarious as they stood there sniffing his socks, with the dog going insane, but it shows just how sensitive the dogs are to fruit smells.
Yes, Polly! Mrs Rog had her bags sniffed and picked out by the beagle at MIA last October: she KNEW there was nothing in the bag but the little beggar just sat there with a look on his face which said "I KNOW she's got fruit!" After a look inside, the handler agreed she was clear.
We'd had a couple of bananas in a plastic bag the previous night in the hotel!
Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:07 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by The Bloke
Ailsa,
obviously never flown Malaysian then. The sight of some of the meals last year almost made me puke and it takes alot to get me airsick!. Plus you were lucky to get a cup of water every hour. give me the flying kangaroo anytime I think>
BA QANTAS are very ordinary airlines with rude and relatively less attendant staff. If you want service try Cathay or Singapore airlines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.