warbrobes

Old Apr 13th 2002, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default warbrobes

Strange question I know but we are in the throws of putting our gear into storage for our move. We have a huge pine triple wardrobe which we really love but it would be a monster to move it. it does appear to me that most houses/appartments have built ins and if this is the case we would be mad to cart this great bit thing down there with us. Can anyone advise please.
Many thanks.
Old Apr 14th 2002, 9:00 am
Helena

Default Re: warbrobes

"jasmin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Strange question I know but we are in the throws of putting our gear into storage
    > for our move. We have a huge pine triple wardrobe which we really love but it would
    > be a monster to move it. it does appear to me that most houses/appartments have
    > built ins and if this is the case we would be mad to cart this great bit thing down
    > there with us. Can anyone advise please. Many thanks.

Depends on what sort of house you move into. Many older, character homes here in
Perth do not have built-in robes (closets), especially if the current owners are
trying to maintain the character of the home. I've seen some older homes where a
previous owner has built one in, and not very well either - cheap hacker's jobs.
In a few cases, they've done a pretty good job. But in any home around 30 years
old or younger, built-ins are just about guaranteed. Definitely in anything 10
years or younger.

If it's an antique or a piece you really like, you can always use it as storage in a
spare bedroom, or family room, because Aussie homes do not have ample storage. No
basements or attics. We brought an old fir wardrobe from Canada that we installed
shelves into and it's great for storing books and photo albums. Then again, we had a
20-foot container that we used to bring everything with us anyway, and it fit. If you
had to ship your wardrobe separately, it mightn't be worth it. Tough decisions. One
of many

Good luck,

Helena

Old Apr 14th 2002, 10:30 am
Helle Hansen

Default Re: warbrobes

jasmin <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

Hi Jasmin,

I don't live in Oz - yet - so have no firsthand knowledge. But I have looked at LOTS
of house ads on the net, especially property.com.au and it's very rare to see a house
that does not have bir's - built in robes i.e. a fitted wardrobe. We stayed with
friends in Adelaide who rented and they had to buy your own. So my guess would be if
you buy there'll be one, if you rent don't count on it.

Helle

> Strange question I know but we are in the throws of putting our gear into storage
    > for our move. We have a huge pine triple wardrobe which we really love but it would
    > be a monster to move it. it does appear to me that most houses/appartments have
    > built ins and if this is the case we would be mad to cart this great bit thing down
    > there with us. Can anyone advise please. Many thanks.