Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Want to leave my job in Glasgow.

Want to leave my job in Glasgow.

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:14 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Want to leave my job in Glasgow.

Hi guy's,
Maybe I'm loosing it a bit here. I am working as a bus driver in Glasgow. I really really hate the job, since I've been doing the job for about 1 year I have had a fire extinguisher sprayed in my face, by some teenagers. I have had several broken windows from rock throughers, been spat on and abused verbaly. I get buses breaking down on me atleast twice a week, sometimes I'm left on the side of the road for 2 to 3 hours waiting for a fitter to come.
I try to do the job as best I can I wait for people to sit down before I move away, pick up punters when there running late. I try to be as helpful as I can.
I don't seem to have the energy to go to work anymore, I've never felt like this before about a job before. I've work hard at every job I've had, but, this one just seems to drag me down everyday. I've been thinking about leaving, but, I would like to have something to go back to. But, its hard to get interviews when you're in full time employment. I will be going back to Australia in August so I only have 4 months to go. But, I'm not sure I can hold out that long.

Jim
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:54 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Want to leave my job in Glasgow.

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Hi guy's,
Maybe I'm loosing it a bit here. I am working as a bus driver in Glasgow. I really really hate the job, since I've been doing the job for about 1 year I have had a fire extinguisher sprayed in my face, by some teenagers. I have had several broken windows from rock throughers, been spat on and abused verbaly. I get buses breaking down on me atleast twice a week, sometimes I'm left on the side of the road for 2 to 3 hours waiting for a fitter to come.
I try to do the job as best I can I wait for people to sit down before I move away, pick up punters when there running late. I try to be as helpful as I can.
I don't seem to have the energy to go to work anymore, I've never felt like this before about a job before. I've work hard at every job I've had, but, this one just seems to drag me down everyday. I've been thinking about leaving, but, I would like to have something to go back to. But, its hard to get interviews when you're in full time employment. I will be going back to Australia in August so I only have 4 months to go. But, I'm not sure I can hold out that long.

Jim
Gosh Jim thats awful - I live in Glasgow too and have seen thugs throwing things through the windows - its disgusting behaviour. No wonder you wanna go back to Oz - you sound like a really nice considerate bus driver too - what about changing to a coach driver or something - surely there would be less problems that way? Or just start looking for another job - if you are Australian then it won't affect you moving home?
If your job is damaging your health then don't put up with it.....try and set another job up though to go to.

Good luck,
Lynn
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:59 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Gosh Jim thats awful - I live in Glasgow too and have seen thugs throwing things through the windows - its disgusting behaviour. No wonder you wanna go back to Oz - you sound like a really nice considerate bus driver too - what about changing to a coach driver or something - surely there would be less problems that way? Or just start looking for another job - if you are Australian then it won't affect you moving home?
If your job is damaging your health then don't put up with it.....try and set another job up though to go to.

Good luck,
Lynn
hi Lynn
I cant do coach driving because I only have an automatic PCV license and most of the coaches are stick operated. But, I have found some jobs that I could do on the internet today so I think for my well being I'm going to hand my notice
Old Apr 21st 2005, 12:19 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

hi Lynn
I cant do coach driving because I only have an automatic PCV license and most of the coaches are stick operated. But, I have found some jobs that I could do on the internet today so I think for my well being I'm going to hand my notice
get another job first !!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by soapy

An aussie drivin a bus in Glasgow eh!!!!

Brave fellow.....maybe it's your accent :scared:
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Jim

Any chance that a change of bus route would make any difference? I remember you said before which route you were on and I thought, oh my god. You'd get a better class of idiot on the Newton Mearns/Whitecraigs/Giffnock run! Will you be driving when the 'Old Firm' match is on?

Your health comes first so I agree, perhaps a change of job is the best thing to pursue.

I sometimes think it is bad being a schoolteacher and all you have to put up with in this job. 'Touch wood', so far I haven't been physically abused and threatened like you have but you have to put up with a lot from the modern teenager particularly when they are en-masse (Scottish, Aussie, English or whatever).

Good luck in whatever you do mate.

OzTennis
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Jim

Any chance that a change of bus route would make any difference? I remember you said before which route you were on and I thought, oh my god. You'd get a better class of idiot on the Newton Mearns/Whitecraigs/Giffnock run!

Good luck in whatever you do mate.

OzTennis

Yes, all you will get is the private school kids on these runs.

Where are you teachin by the way, Oztennis?.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:46 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guy's,

Jim
Stick it out for the next 4 months if you can and then get your butt back here to Australia. Things are definately better here !

Regards
mairi
(an Aussie who lived in Glasgow for 12 years off and on)
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

I live in Glasgow as well. The behaviour of these wee neds is a disgrace. Thankfully i don't get the bus much but i know a bus driver who got a needle stick injury from a junkie scumbag. He had to get tested for HIV, Hepatitis and such like.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:54 pm
JKA
Forum Regular

JKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by soapy
It sounds like this situation could be affecting your health and I would therefore suggest you jack it in now even if you don't have another job to go to. Suppose it depends on your circumstances.

What about a delivery driver?

Anyway you will know what's best for you.

Good luck mate.

John.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 8:09 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont get a job in sydney as a taxi driver they now sit be hind a sheet of plexi glass so punters cant bash them when driving :scared:

Good luck finding a new job
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:06 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

when we lived in ek one of the girls in our street was hit with a brick through a bus window. nearly wrecked her life. its the same all over the place in glasgow, theres no safe areas for a bus driver.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:07 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Sorry to hear about that, it makes me feel ashamed to be Scottish it really does. There is a rot in this city (I live in Glasgow) that will never be cleansed so long as these scumbags are left unchallenged by the law and the government continue to make it too easy for these people to live for free on taxpayers money. It always amazes me how little is done by communities and police alike about problems like this. No wonder all the good talent is leaving this hole of a country.

You shouldnt have to deal with this kind of thing, why dont yo go off on stress leave for the final 4months of your time here, you deserve it and you have grounds for it I say!

Good luck m8
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:24 pm
wombat42

l would rather go and drive a bus in downtown Baghdad, why did you leave OZ for that shithole in the first place.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Maldepays will become famous soon enough

Hi guy's,

Jim
Small world!

http://www.optusnet.com.au/news/stor...ss/1350085.inp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.