Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

want to learn to drive when in OZ

want to learn to drive when in OZ

Old Feb 20th 2003, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Talking want to learn to drive when in OZ

I don't drive in the U.K but I would like to learn when we get to Brisbane.

What is the cost? How hard is it? Would it be better to learn over hear or there?

Mandy
Old Feb 21st 2003, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

keaton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: want to learn to drive when in OZ

Originally posted by scrawni
I don't drive in the U.K but I would like to learn when we get to Brisbane.

What is the cost? How hard is it? Would it be better to learn over hear or there?

Mandy
I'm reading an Living and working in Australia book at the mo which says that you will get a practical test, theory test (might be the same as the UK one but don't know) and an eyesight test.

I'm not sure if the Australia driving test is like the current UK one and what costs are I'm afraid.

Hope it helps!
Old Feb 21st 2003, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

Driving Licences

In WA those who have obtained a permanent residency visa can use their overseas licence for three months from the date of entry. After that you will need to apply for an Australian licence, which requires a computer based theory test. If you are successful in the test a 1 year driving licence will cost $70-$80 for a car for the first year and $35 for every year after that. You can pay for the licence to run for longer periods of 3 or 5 years at a higher cost.
These fees are subject to continuing change and can be located at the learners site below.
You can also download a version of the test from
here
Old Feb 21st 2003, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleW is an unknown quantity at this point

same for Melbourne - theory and driving test. I really dont think I will pass it again!! Better get out of all those bad habbits and fast. I did not realise you had to keep paying!
Old Feb 21st 2003, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone who already has a full UK driving licence, just had to take the written test in NSW in order to get a NSW licence. I did it the other day. It took 20 mins. and they give you ALL of the answers when you book the test ie. they give you the rta website address that has all the questions & answers that you will get in the test.
Old Feb 21st 2003, 11:24 pm
visa'd member oh yeah!

CROSSY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: want to learn to drive when in OZ

mmmmmmmmm...ok.. but what about dRiving????
Originally posted by gle
EASY LEARN IN THE UK: SEE IF YOU ARE ABLE/LIKE IT FIRST!

Learning to dive in the UK will probably be done with BSAC.

http://www.bsac.org

http://www.bsac.org/learn/branch1.htm

BSAC is very very very professional, safety conscious. If you join a BSAC club you pay £50 or something to join BSAC and an amount of money to join the local club. The cost in joining the local club varies, as each club will differ in size and facilities and equipment. I would not expect it to be more than £150 annual membership. If they were charging that amount then I would expect them to have a boat. I was a member of Oxford BSAC and they had a boat in Weymouth!

There are various levels. The first level you will try to reach is Club Diver which allow you to go diving (with a more qualified diver). BSAC is well respected around the world so if you went to aussie you would have log book recording your theory, and practical lessons passed and any open water (sea, quarry etc) dive done thereafter.

The club may expect you to eventually supply you own kit. You may have to buy equipment cylinder(£90), fins (20), semi-dry suit (£170), Buoyancy compensator (like a life jacked that the cylinder is attached) (£130).

The benefit is that you will be thoroughly trained unlike what happens when people learn to dive abroad. The other main diving organisation is PADI. This is American based and is what you will be trained to if learning to dive in aussie.

BUT REMEMBER THIS. DIVING SCHOOLS THAT RUN PADI COURSE ARE THERE TO ***MAKE MONEY****. QUCKLY TRAIN YOU IN A POOL AND GET YOU OUT IN THE SEA AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. IF YOU LEARN KNOW IN UK YOU WILL BE QUALIFIED TO GET ON A BOAT OF YOU CHOOSING AND DO YOUR OWN THING.

But try dive first. Go to you local BSAC club and say you will like to try a session in a pool. May cost you £3 or something. In fact each year BSAC do try-a-dive for FREE.

If you are serious about diving go BSAC! A wealth of experience and friendly people too.
Old Feb 21st 2003, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleW is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know a site to get a look at the theory test in Victoria? How much does the test cost?
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

in NSW it was $32 for the written test , which is a touch screen multiple choice test. 45 questions is total and you are allowed to get roughly 4 wrong. Sorry, don't know about Victoria, Have a look around http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/
Old Feb 23rd 2003, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default victoria

yea almost the same in vic i did mine a couple of weeks ago, and i hadent even looked at the book, needed 75% and got 84% i think it was 28 dollars for the test and if you pass i think it was $120 or so for 10 yr license.
there was quite a few questions in my one on trams, pedestrian rights when crossing roads, and drink drive limits, so i guessed them all, and i think it was the drink drive ones i got wrong as you get a bit of paper after the taest telling you what you need to brush up on.
all the best shaun