Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Want to go to Melbourne....

Want to go to Melbourne....

Old Sep 20th 2006, 10:50 am
Geoff

Geoff Spilman will become famous soon enoughGeoff Spilman will become famous soon enough
Default Want to go to Melbourne....

Hi

I have held a residency visa for 3 years now and have 2 years left to 'move'.
My wife and I got the visa whilst still together, we subsequently separated 2 years ago. We have 2 children 5 and 7. My wife is settled with a new partner.....I'm single.

My dilemma is I'd still like to give Australia a go, but obviously with my children this is a difficult decision. I am a printer and have seen my wages steadily eroded in this country over the past 10 years whereas I would be relatively well paid in Melbourne. House prices here are ridicules as is the cost of living.

I know the decision is mine....just looking for some advise.

Thanks.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default Re: Want to go to Melbourne....

Originally Posted by Geoff Spilman
Hi

My dilemma is I'd still like to give Australia a go, but obviously with my children this is a difficult decision. I am a printer and have seen my wages steadily eroded in this country over the past 10 years whereas I would be relatively well paid in Melbourne. House prices here are ridicules as is the cost of living.

Thanks.
Why not try it for a couple of years. See if work is easy to come by and paid well enough to buy property if you want to, and more importantly see how you really feel when you're apart from the kids - it's doubtful you'll manage many holiday visits.

It doesn't sound like you have to make a permanent commitment just yet though.

Good luck with a tough decision.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 2:46 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go to Melbourne....

Originally Posted by Geoff Spilman
Hi

I have held a residency visa for 3 years now and have 2 years left to 'move'.
My wife and I got the visa whilst still together, we subsequently separated 2 years ago. We have 2 children 5 and 7. My wife is settled with a new partner.....I'm single.

I know the decision is mine....just looking for some advise.

Thanks.
Ohh that's a toughy mate. How close are you to your kids since the split? Do you think in your heart of hearts, you'd be happy that far from them? The lure of money and a nice home are strong, but I couldn't go without my family.

Good luck, whatever you decide.