Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Want to emigrate to Oz, but....

Want to emigrate to Oz, but....

Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

tiredofrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Want to emigrate to Oz, but....

Hello out there

Not only am I fairly new to emigrating, but new to chat forums too!!

My family and I are keen to move to Western Australia, but we seem to have a number of problems with possible get-arounds that may help (but some advice would be appreciated).

Some background into what we have looked into so far:

Firstly, to migrate as a skilled person, as an independant, I believe I could score 110 points (assuming I have a 60 point occupation). Currently not the 120 required to pass.

Sercondly, my wife doesn't meet the basic criteria (due to not having a job on the SOL) but does have a retired Aunt and Uncle in Oz.

It would appear that the two things we need to do is to somehow move to an Australian sponsored application and sort out how I could get a 60 point occupation.

Occupation first... Although I have been working in engineering for 22 years (the last 11 holding the title of Engineer), I am not degree qualified. My trade qualification is a time-served Electronic technician. According to the SOL most trades carry a 60 point award, whereas the job title of "Electronic Technician" does not appear in the trade section and only gets 40 points. An engineer is likely to collect 60 points too. My question is "Which would I be best to apply as?".

Sponsors... We were not willing to ask my wife's Aunt and Uncle to be sponsors due to the fact that they are retired. However, if I have interpreted the guidlines correctly, the sponsors don't necessarily have to be the one's providing the financial support and bond (an assurer can do that). My question here is "Is there a way we could secure our 2 year bond based on our own finances (e.g. through an agency or solicitor or an independant individual assurer)?".

This is one long thread, but I do know a few people who are now in Oz. One of them recently told me that they heard the intake for foreign immigrants was to increase from 20,000 to 100,000 this year. Does anybody know if this is correct and if the points requirements are likely to be lower as a result?

If you haven't fallen asleep by the time you've got here thanks for your time.

If you can help, please let me know...

Cheers ,

Rich...
(tiredofrain like so many in the UK)...
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice
Default Re: Want to emigrate to Oz, but....

Hi,

Can't help too much I'm afraid, but some answers where I can. I'd also suggest consulting a Migration Agent such as Alan Collett or George Lombard as they will be able to quickly let you know how you can find a way to Oz (if it is possible).

Originally Posted by tiredofrain
Hello out there

Firstly, to migrate as a skilled person, as an independant, I believe I could score 110 points (assuming I have a 60 point occupation). Currently not the 120 required to pass.
I presume you are > 35 yrs old hence the 110 points... Are you able to get 5 points from a foreign language or a Capital Investment Bond (approx £40k tied up for 1 year but gains ~5% interest - often you can remortgage/sell house and use some of that capital for this, and then rent in Oz for 6-12 months while the money is invested)

That would get you to 115 points...

Sercondly, my wife doesn't meet the basic criteria (due to not having a job on the SOL) but does have a retired Aunt and Uncle in Oz.
I am not sure whether your wife's Aunt/Uncle can sponsored but you are the main applicant, if so then that could work, hopefully someone can answer....

It would appear that the two things we need to do is to somehow move to an Australian sponsored application and sort out how I could get a 60 point occupation.

Occupation first... Although I have been working in engineering for 22 years (the last 11 holding the title of Engineer), I am not degree qualified. My trade qualification is a time-served Electronic technician. According to the SOL most trades carry a 60 point award, whereas the job title of "Electronic Technician" does not appear in the trade section and only gets 40 points. An engineer is likely to collect 60 points too. My question is "Which would I be best to apply as?".
Can't help there, maybe an agent could help.. Do the job titles provide a list of what type of tasks/responsibilities are expected for that role?

I would suggest taking a look at the websites of the skills assessment agencies for those job titles and see what information they provide. For example if it possible to get a 60 point IT skills assessment without an IT degree (or any degree) if you have enough years relevant experience...

Sponsors... We were not willing to ask my wife's Aunt and Uncle to be sponsors due to the fact that they are retired. However, if I have interpreted the guidlines correctly, the sponsors don't necessarily have to be the one's providing the financial support and bond (an assurer can do that). My question here is "Is there a way we could secure our 2 year bond based on our own finances (e.g. through an agency or solicitor or an independant individual assurer)?".
You are right in that the aunt/uncle does not have to be the ones providing the financial side of things. So if you can find someone else to do that side then they could sponsor (subject to the above mentioned items).

You may find it hard finding someone unknown who will be willing to be the financial sponsor as they could lose out... It is probably worth asking your aunt/uncle if they know anyone who would be willing to do this, if you pay any costs, then come to some agreement about lodging the money yourself in some type of account that they can have access to or have some type of legal agreement.

This is one long thread, but I do know a few people who are now in Oz. One of them recently told me that they heard the intake for foreign immigrants was to increase from 20,000 to 100,000 this year. Does anybody know if this is correct and if the points requirements are likely to be lower as a result?
Not that I am ware off, Oz already accepts ~100,000 migrants a year so guess this person has misunderstoof something...

good luck!

Alex
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:10 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to emigrate to Oz, but....

..And in many places it rains more than in the UK.

G
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

tiredofrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Want to emigrate to Oz, but....

Alex,

Thanks...

I realised I had put this thread in the wrong place, so have placed a copy in the " Australia and New Zealand imigration" section.

FOR ANY OTHERS REPLYING, PLEASE COULD YOU REPLY TO THAT THREAD.

Thanks tuns...

Rich...

PS I did say I was new to this