Reload this Page >

want to bring our dog... advise needed please

want to bring our dog... advise needed please

Old Sep 30th 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

keri will become famous soon enoughkeri will become famous soon enough
Default want to bring our dog... advise needed please

Hi everyone,

My OH and I are 1/2 way though (hopefully) the migration and still waiting for our dream to move down under to come true but we just can't think about going without our gorgeous collie/lab X.

We are coming from Ireland and don't know where to start....
We understand about the injections and all that including the quarantine time but dont now where to start with the whole flights or transit situation....

I am really worried about the poor love being stuck in a box on the plane or if he will be looked after. He loves company and misses us if we go anywhere without him....

any suggestions or ideas or if you have been through the process or can recommend a good company who deal with this please please let me know.......

Thanks.

K
Old Oct 1st 2008, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: want to bring our dog... advise needed please

Hi

we brought our dog jack with us he was a 4 year old Bichon frise. It is a worry as when you say goodbye you dont know what happening to them. but he was fine, very please to see us when he came out of quarantine, but suffered no ill effects.
They have a vet check the dogs before they fly and they are given fresh water at the stopover point. They do not feed them during the journey.
Ring around a few pet transit companies they will send you some info on what to do and time frames ect...We used a company called parair but it depends on what part of the country you are from (we were in Essex)..the only other thing is there booster jabs, if your dog is due check to see exactly what the vet is going to give him. as there is one vaccine i cant remember what its called! or something like that immagration authorities as it will show up as them having the Disease for around 6-12 months if they have this in there yearly vaccine. But any pet travel company can give you more advice. also have a look at this web site it will also give you some advice http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

Jack is fine he love the warm weather and spends so much more time outside than he did in the UK, and even though it was expensive to bring him over it has never been a decision i have regretted.

Good luck

Tricia
Old Oct 1st 2008, 7:24 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the Lepto vaccine they can't have. We used Golden Arrow in Shropshire - they've been really good so far, very organised and helpful. Our shippers also recommended our dog have the kennel cough vaccine.

We're taking 2 cats and a dog (they fly on the 22nd Oct), i'm not happy about the flight or quarantine, but if it's the only way we can take them then it's got to be worth doing.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:11 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

We used Golden Arrow too and our Staffy Dog and Long Haired cat arrived fine with no problems X
Old Oct 1st 2008, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

helenlou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by keri
Hi everyone,

My OH and I are 1/2 way though (hopefully) the migration and still waiting for our dream to move down under to come true but we just can't think about going without our gorgeous collie/lab X.

We are coming from Ireland and don't know where to start....
We understand about the injections and all that including the quarantine time but dont now where to start with the whole flights or transit situation....

I am really worried about the poor love being stuck in a box on the plane or if he will be looked after. He loves company and misses us if we go anywhere without him....

any suggestions or ideas or if you have been through the process or can recommend a good company who deal with this please please let me know.......

Thanks.

K

hi i brought 2 dogs over last year, it is the worse feeling in the world when you leave them at the airport. but would do it again even tho one died 3 months later. it was nothing to do with the flights, or anything but i felt so bad. but i was so glad i brought her with me. she had 3 months of fun on the beach. the other one is still fine. they had to fly from manchester then over night in london, then to singapore, then to perth. i visited them in quarantine every day (not weekends) not allowed. i thought it was only fair. i know its hard to say bye when you leave them but it makes the time go faster i think.
i use to take treats and a ball so they got to play. you also meet other people there.
o where are you heading for.

helen
Old Oct 1st 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mary1967
It's the Lepto vaccine they can't have. We used Golden Arrow in Shropshire - they've been really good so far, very organised and helpful. Our shippers also recommended our dog have the kennel cough vaccine.

We're taking 2 cats and a dog (they fly on the 22nd Oct), i'm not happy about the flight or quarantine, but if it's the only way we can take them then it's got to be worth doing.
Us too!! Our Lab is flying out on 30th November. Must say they have made what could seem to be a bit of a nightmare process very easy! so far.......
Good luck!
Dtp
Old Oct 1st 2008, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

keri will become famous soon enoughkeri will become famous soon enough

Thank you everyone!!! I really appreciate your responses.

We are heading to Perth fingers X'd. you know that feeling when you don't want to make plans until you have the visa.... ohh the waiting, I want to go now.

Could you please let me know how much the whole process costs? needed to start budgeting now for it all!!
Old Oct 1st 2008, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

We used Golden Arrow too, to ship our border terrier over in August, he came out of quanrantine 11th Sept, well worth it, took all the stress away, just let them do their job, they know what they are doing and so do all the people at Syndey quarantine station. Cost was approx £1400 for shipping him and $800 quarantine cost. Well worth it.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:44 pm

Had word today that our dog tested positive for lepto She's back in next Wednesday for another test and providing it's less that 1:800, she should be able to travel on the 22nd October.

Did anyone else have a positive lepto result first time round?
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:21 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Had word today that our dog tested positive for lepto She's back in next Wednesday for another test and providing it's less that 1:800, she should be able to travel on the 22nd October.

There are lots of people who've had positive lepto results for their dogs.... cleared usually by the next test.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:59 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

Did your dog have ever the lepto vaccine?
Hoping for clean results for my sisters dog due to arrive here in Perth 22nd October (hopefully), tested on Monday, awaiting results. He didn't have the lepto vaccine as it was always intended he would be coming here.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by FiP
Did your dog have ever the lepto vaccine?
Hoping for clean results for my sisters dog due to arrive here in Perth 22nd October (hopefully), tested on Monday, awaiting results. He didn't have the lepto vaccine as it was always intended he would be coming here.

She had it last November - catch 22 - you don't let them have it and they get the disease or you let them have it and they test positive 11 months later:curse: She scored 1:100, the next test has got to be less than 1:800.

Hopefully my dog and your sisters dog will be neighbours! We've got ours booked in from the 23rd October.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
There are lots of people who've had positive lepto results for their dogs.... cleared usually by the next test.

I hope it's the same for us
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Our Lab is flying out on the 29th Oct to Sydney, We are using Petair very impressed so far. cost £2100 for everything excluding aussie quarantine.

They spray a pheromone in the crete to keep them calm, sounds good hope it works, she doesn't like being away from us. Problem is we will be in Brisbane a very long car journey away and hubby is working immediatly, so will probably only see her once.

Blood test is on tue, will need second test as had lepto vac last dec.

Is anybody else booked in Sydney same time?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:15 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

She had it last November - catch 22 - you don't let them have it and they get the disease or you let them have it and they test positive 11 months later:curse: She scored 1:100, the next test has got to be less than 1:800.

Hopefully my dog and your sisters dog will be neighbours! We've got ours booked in from the 23rd October.
It is a bit of a dilemma, to let them have the vaccine or not.
What type of dog do you have? I will look out for it when I visit my sisters dog at quarantine......providing all goes to plan for them both!!
Don't know if you have been to the quarantine kennels, but the staff are lovely and know each of the animals and their likes and dislikes when we visited and we have done so twice as I live in Perth already.
Wish you all the best for the next test and please post how it goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.