Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wandering washing machine?

wandering washing machine?

Old Sep 17th 2010, 12:14 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default wandering washing machine?

We've got a new bosch washing machine being delivered tomorrow.

The manual says that we need to ensure that it is on a level surface, using spirit level etc. But it also says that we need to fix it to the floor !

Is there anyone else out there who has their washing machine fixed down like this? We've always just had them "running free" so to speak.

fellow british expats - please give me your washing machine words of wisdom.

edit - woops I meant to put this in the barbie.... sorry!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wandering washing machine?

Originally Posted by asprilla View Post

The manual says that we need to ensure that it is on a level surface, using spirit level etc. But it also says that we need to fix it to the floor !

Is there anyone else out there who has their washing machine fixed down like this? We've always just had them "running free" so to speak.

Never heard of that before, but you could always sit on it at the spin cycle to stop it moving!!!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 12:41 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

we have a bosch and its not had any issues. If its overloaded sometimes it will bounce / walk but we have the dryer plonked on top that helps!

So long as its not like 20% tilt you are fine! These are standard warnings.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

HazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant future

I attached my Bosch GTi Malloo (limited edition) washing machine to the floor of our laundry. I made the mistake of washing my site boots in it. The resulting 'wobble' caused my laundry to detach from the main house and when I came back from work it had fallen into next door's pool.

I won't be making that mistake again!!

Hope this helps,

Stu
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:25 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HazBean View Post
I attached my Bosch GTi Malloo (limited edition) washing machine to the floor of our laundry. I made the mistake of washing my site boots in it. The resulting 'wobble' caused my laundry to detach from the main house and when I came back from work it had fallen into next door's pool.

Hope this helps,

Stu

Cheers Stu.. I can't work out whether yours is a serious response, or not ?!

The last thing I want, is to secure the washing machine to the floor, put on a load and then come back 2hrs later to find that the external walls of the house have all collapsed because of the vibrations.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but this is WRONG, fundamentally Wrong!!! How dare people shackle their washing machines to the floor? There should be laws against it...

If you DO cage your machine you can expect Greenpeace to arrive on your doorstep.. and a crowd of angry demonstrators staging an impromptu sit in... and you may find yourself the target of the Laundry Liberation Front, a covert paramilitary organisation dedicated to the release of wrongfully imprisoned washers the world over....

FREE RANGE WASHERS FOREVER
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Mine free ranges all over the laundry room...especially after washing towels. As long as I don't have to chase it out of the neighbor's back garden, it should be fine.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:12 am
66 day fiancee

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LIBBY View Post
Never heard of that before, but you could always sit on it at the spin cycle to stop it moving!!!
I sit on my washing machine during the spin cycle but it's not to stop it moving across the floor.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

HazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by eddie007 View Post
Sorry, but this is WRONG, fundamentally Wrong!!! How dare people shackle their washing machines to the floor? There should be laws against it...

If you DO cage your machine you can expect Greenpeace to arrive on your doorstep.. and a crowd of angry demonstrators staging an impromptu sit in... and you may find yourself the target of the Laundry Liberation Front, a covert paramilitary organisation dedicated to the release of wrongfully imprisoned washers the world over....

FREE RANGE WASHERS FOREVER
Sorry, but this is b***s**t. The modern washing machine has been domesticated over many generations. It is used to being confined, it even thrives on it. How would you feel if your washing machine fell into next door's pool like mine did, or even worse, 'wibbled' its way on to a main road and got hit by a car?

As as for the so called 'Laundry Liberation Front', have you seen how they 'humanely' dispose of the so-called 'liberated' washing machines?

See this video for shocking evidence (Warning: Not suitable for people of a nervous disposition)

Stu
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but this is b***s**t. The modern washing machine has been domesticated over many generations. It is used to being confined, it even thrives on it. How would you feel if your washing machine fell into next door's pool like mine did, or even worse, 'wibbled' its way on to a main road and got hit by a car?

As as for the so called 'Laundry Liberation Front', have you seen how they 'humanely' dispose of the so-called 'liberated' washing machines?

See this video for shocking evidence (Warning: Not suitable for people of a nervous disposition)

Stu

Happy Washing machines Wash Happy clothes....
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:17 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this helps,

Stu
A tale to heed indeed, the build quality of homes in Aus means that the most solidly built structure within the confines of the property is invariably the washing machine.

It is a bit like the Black Box Recorder on planes, unsurprising given this device is actually an Australian invention.

During the Victorian bushfires the only things left running after the fire swept through was lot after lot of washing machines, all on spin cycle ... a terrible sight to behold.

Naturally the top-loading variety are less prone to this behaviour but it must be recognised that the antipodean version of China Syndrome can result from a badly balanced load and one pair of pants too many.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

GoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really nice

Surprised the hell out of me when we first fired up the new machine, it slid about all over the place. New build we are doing will have a UK style hole to put it in - no accusations of battery farming please...
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:29 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by GoldCoastOrBust View Post
Surprised the hell out of me when we first fired up the new machine, it slid about all over the place. New build we are doing will have a UK style hole to put it in - no accusations of battery farming please...
the washing machine is in, and doing a fine job too.

It isn't secured to the floor... I just used a spirit level and adjusted a couple of the screw legs.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

GoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really niceGoldCoastOrBust is just really nice

the washing machine is in, and doing a fine job too.

It isn't secured to the floor... I just used a spirit level and adjusted a couple of the screw legs.
Tried that a few times, sloping floor in the laundry makes it harder, and just nudging it is enough to set it off again.

This one sings at us when it finishes, a fine rendition of 'I want to be near you' when the cycle ends. Who thinks of this stuff?
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:47 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Never had a problem with our Bosch moving around. It spins happily at 1600rpm without even looking like its going anywhere...

Ignore the 'bolt it down'instructions - completely unnecessary.

(N.B. If you *do* decide to bolt it down make sure you contract an appropriately registered 'washing-machine-bolting-down' professional to do the work and not some shonky cowboy who hasnt done the extensive 3 month TAFE course in washing machine bolting to get the necessary certificate )