Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wall and Floor Tiler

Wall and Floor Tiler

Old May 6th 2008, 10:51 am
Just Joined

the southerns is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Wall and Floor Tiler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi,
I am a 40 year old experienced Wall and Floor Tiler needing sponsorship. We are looking to relocate to Queensland, possibly Townsville but open to other areas of Australia, with my wife and two young children 9 and 6.
Experienced in ceramic, porcelain and marble tiles etc, domestic and large contract jobs, with very good references. I also have a NVQ II in Tiling, with all relevant documentation.
Need help on rules reagrding TRA, I have read the site information and a bit confused whether I can work immediately once out in Australia.
Also information on shipping equipment, wages and hours of work.
Looking forward to receiving some positive replies.
Thanks for your help.
Old May 6th 2008, 11:42 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wall and Floor Tiler

Originally Posted by the southerns
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi,
I am a 40 year old experienced Wall and Floor Tiler needing sponsorship. We are looking to relocate to Queensland, possibly Townsville but open to other areas of Australia, with my wife and two young children 9 and 6.
Experienced in ceramic, porcelain and marble tiles etc, domestic and large contract jobs, with very good references. I also have a NVQ II in Tiling, with all relevant documentation.
Need help on rules reagrding TRA, I have read the site information and a bit confused whether I can work immediately once out in Australia.
Thanks for your help.
Your best bet would be to PM Cresta57 and I am sure he will be able to bring you up to speed as to requirements of starting work.
Old May 6th 2008, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

hi,
Thanks for your help.
hi,
thanks for your reply, had bad news today we cant come out on the NVQ II, will have to wait to see if guidelines change with TRA in July, we are all totally gutted, cant believe I am skilled and experienced and cant get there and my wife has been a police officer for 14 years but has no relevant qualifications to be the main person on visa. Never mind just a waiting game now.
Anyone else in this boat or had similar experience?
thanks
Old May 6th 2008, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

hi,
thanks for your reply, had bad news today we cant come out on the NVQ II, will have to wait to see if guidelines change with TRA in July, we are all totally gutted, cant believe I am skilled and experienced and cant get there and my wife has been a police officer for 14 years but has no relevant qualifications to be the main person on visa. Never mind just a waiting game now.
thanks
Hi, my hubby is a tiler but we applied last June & got visa in Dec. We leave in 5 weeks to the Gold Coast. From my understanding he has to apply for a licence once we get there but can work under someone else's till then. Hubby had a scottish apprenceship & been tiling all his life sorry about the rules changing but happy to help if you need more info just pm me. Hopefully there will be plenty of work!
Old May 14th 2008, 9:55 am
Just Joined

TilerJack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DestinationSydney
Hi, my hubby is a tiler but we applied last June & got visa in Dec. We leave in 5 weeks to the Gold Coast. From my understanding he has to apply for a licence once we get there but can work under someone else's till then. Hubby had a scottish apprenceship & been tiling all his life sorry about the rules changing but happy to help if you need more info just pm me. Hopefully there will be plenty of work!
I am also a tiler, Just completed my NVQ2 can i ask why you can not go to OZ what was the rule change? I am looking to go in a few years once more experienced.
Old May 14th 2008, 9:57 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
thanks
many police services including qld have done uk recruitment for police officers. have a look in the police section of the forum
Old May 14th 2008, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

nickynush will become famous soon enough

Hi

We are same - hubby is an experienced wall and floor tiler who had no qualifications. He's just got his NVQ II via experienced workers practical assessment. Though this is no good for TRA at the moment the rumours are that it may be enough under a new pathway change which is anticipated soon. I've read threads that say it is expected that experience only pathway d of old will not return but a new one which recognises qualifications by workplace assessment together with work experience will come in to replace it. If there is no news by 1st July we are seriously considering getting an AQF qualification using tradetrain and going via TRA pathway E.

Good luck everyone and here's hoping there'a some positive news from TRA soon.

Southerns - not sure where you want to go but we are looking at Adelaide there is a link on top right of this page for UK police officers who want to transfer to SA police.

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/index.php

There is also no licence requirement for tilers in south australia so you'd be able to work as a tiler straight away.

Last edited by nickynush; May 14th 2008 at 12:48 pm.
Old May 16th 2008, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

hi,
We may have hope of a Visabut need sponsorship if anybody in Queensland can help, I would be so grateful.
40 year old experienced Wall and Floor Tiler needing sponsorship. We are looking to relocate to Queensland, possibly Townsville.
Experienced in ceramic, porcelain, natural stone and marble tiles etc, domestic and large contract jobs, with very good references. I also have a NVQ II in Tiling, with all relevant documentation.
Looking forward to receiving some positive replies, pm me and I can send further details.
Thanks for your help
Old May 16th 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

nevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nice
Smile Re: Wall and Floor Tiler

Hi I know exactly how you feel 20yrs+experence installing curtian walling aluminium windows etc.Trade not listed only way in was through Sponsorship.To cut a long story short I contacted via tel. Suppliers to the industry and one very kind chap faxed round my CV got my sponorship appying very soon hopfully on my way.

If you are going as far North as Townsville you may get Regional concessions if you find a sponsor and shouldnt need to a Skills Assessment as far as Im aware
check out the poscode

So lift the phone big lad and get phoning all those bathroom suppliers and tile wholesalers wish all the very best hope you get there

nevsy
Old May 16th 2008, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

thanks, will start phoning and emailing straight away.
cheers
Old May 27th 2008, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

mcbeauty is on a distinguished road

hi,
thanks
Hi, check out Autralian Construction Training Services (UK division) at www.uk.tradetrain.com.au, they offer a AQFIII certificate based on workplace assessment done in the UK, which would mean you could apply under Pathway E. I checked them out and they are a registered training organisation listed on the Australian government websites. I believe it costs about £3750 though.
Old May 27th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

nevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nice

Trade Train will train you in the U.k it is expensive but if you contact Bruce at the Brisbane office he was more then helpful,and will explain all,as he has been very helpful in my particular case.

Best of luck

Nevsy
Old May 27th 2008, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

mcbeauty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nevsy
Trade Train will train you in the U.k it is expensive but if you contact Bruce at the Brisbane office he was more then helpful,and will explain all,as he has been very helpful in my particular case.

Best of luck

Nevsy
Did you manage to get an AQF qualification through Trade Train? Which trade was it in?
Old May 28th 2008, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mcbeauty
Did you manage to get an AQF qualification through Trade Train? Which trade was it in?
No I managed to obtain a Sponsor,but they flew a guy over to N.Ireland to talk me through their process.I was looking at Joinery.