Reload this Page >

walk on the wild side

Wikiposts

walk on the wild side

Old Oct 28th 2003, 12:35 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default walk on the wild side

Not wanting to get a reputation for always posting the hard realities of how we are finding life here in Perth. I thought I would share some nice things we have experienced.

We are living by the Swan River in South Perth and go for walks each day, a couple of weeks ago about 4pm we noticed dolphins swimming in the river and were able to watch them for a good 20 mins or so, which was great because we had lasst had to drive up to Monkey Mia and were disappointed with the dolphin experience there. If we knew they swam up the river we may not have bothered.

We also had lunch in Gracetown this weekend on route back from the south coast. I have to say I was not impressed with the centre of Margaret River, I can see the attraction of the vineyards etc but I thought the centre was a reduced version of Subiaco.

So we headed out to Grace town on the coast and while we were waiting for our meal some whales decided to put on a display for us. This sounds fab doesn't it. I have to say that I thought they were dolphins, which impressed me none the less, but was informed they were whales by everybody else.

I would highly recommend a trip to the South Coast its coastal scenery is stunning and for us so much nicer than Perth or the northern suburbs we have visited. Also we found people to be much friendlier and approachable that we have in Perth, it was the first place we felt we could settle in.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:35 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting Donna!

Yeah, I don't see why Margeret River is so interesting, but I do think people usually mean the area around it. But then the area's more to the south, like Denmark/Walpole are very nice to.
But I like the caves around Augusta/MR.
Don't find wineries very intesting.

If we do stay in Oz after the first few years, I'd like to live in the south west as soon as possible. Maybe we can even get there in the first yeat, I don't know, we'll see. But not too far south, 2/3 hours drive at the most.

And wow at the dolphins in the Swan! Didn't know about that!
When we lived in Perth we did see some once at one of the beaches, Scarborough or something. It was when we had only been living there a short while. My dad first thought he saw sharks, but soon realised they were dolphins!

Oh, and where is Gracetown excactly?? I have really never heard of it. lol!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

When we were out last year we went to visit my cousins new canal front plot in South Yunderup, it was beautiful, and as we were standing on their little jetty some dolphins swan by, imagine sitting out the back eating your breakfast watching the dolphins, if only tou could earn a living doing it

Lynn
Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:11 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Simone82
Thanks for posting Donna!

Yeah, I don't see why Margeret River is so interesting, but I do think people usually mean the area around it. But then the area's more to the south, like Denmark/Walpole are very nice to.
But I like the caves around Augusta/MR.
Don't find wineries very intesting.

If we do stay in Oz after the first few years, I'd like to live in the south west as soon as possible. Maybe we can even get there in the first yeat, I don't know, we'll see. But not too far south, 2/3 hours drive at the most.

And wow at the dolphins in the Swan! Didn't know about that!
When we lived in Perth we did see some once at one of the beaches, Scarborough or something. It was when we had only been living there a short while. My dad first thought he saw sharks, but soon realised they were dolphins!

Oh, and where is Gracetown excactly?? I have really never heard of it. lol!
Gracetown is a few k's west of margaret river on the coast, it is a small settlement on the side of a hill overlooking the bay, there appears to be just one store and the cafe. It is increasingly expensive to live there but many of the houses are very old, I guess it wasn't where people wanted to live at one time, the ocean isn't so pretty with winter gales but now as a holiday home and its proximity to margaret river prices going through the roof.

We fell in love with Denmark but there are limited job opps, we are going back for another visit in the next couple of weeks to see if the charm we first saw is still there. If it is we are thinking of moving south and spending the summer there trying to establish firm links. I have applied for a job down there and just got a response, I didn't get it, but the email was very complimentary, first time I have had such a response here, confirming to me that the people in the south and maybe the more country regions are so much more friendly than the city.